Meanwhile, down on the farm.

Pzkpfw-e

Good link -RSO are one of the few pieces of 3rd reich kit that I really like, lot of character:cheesy: although some of the stuff shown on the polish site hardly seems worth the effort in digging it up -a few more years and it would have returned to iron ore.

Wonder what the AFV? to the right is?

It looks like the 105mm SPG on a Swedish built 38t chassis.

Did you know that the Russian built a "simplified" copy of the RSO at the Kirovski Zavod in Leningrad. It was powered by a wood burner for use in Siberia. Apparantly several thousand were built and I have seen a photograph of a complete train load leaving the factory on its way east.

panzerjaeger

It looks like the 105mm SPG on a Swedish built 38t chassis.

Thanks for that I hope it doesn't get converted to any inapropriate half baked attempt at a faux Pzkfz38(t).

The Soviet RSO you mention is probably the KT12 aka TDT40 -TDT55

Steve

I never knew the Soviet copy existed until I saw the photograph and film in the Kirovski Museum in St Petersburg; now I know it even had a designation.

What was even more sensational was the cine film of a huge cannon mounted on a pair of IS-3 chassis. It was like the proposal to mount 24 cm and 28 cm guns on Tiger chassis, similar to the drawings on page 176 of the Spielberger Tiger book. Presumably, this rig was built at the Kirovski Zavod in Leningrad also.

panzerjaeger

What was even more sensational was the cine film of a huge cannon mounted on a pair of IS-3 chassis.

I'll have to have a look for that:D. I know of the briefly in service SU310 and SU420 (atomic cannons) which where Central Artillery Design Bureau designs but probably built by the Kirovski plant

there is an interesting link with a couple of smallish photos of TDT-55 at

http://www.militaertechnik-der-nva.de/Galerie/Bildergalerie.html

which was posted by michelk on the forum at

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18340-T54-55-in-NVA-service/page3

on post#22

steve

Steve

I examined the SU-420 for the first time in Moscow in 1994. I asked about the SU-310 but no-one knew anything about or even if it had existed. On my last visit to St Petersburg in 1998, there it was as large as life sitting outside the artillery museum.

It had obviouly been stored inside or underground because it had no traces of corrosion on it. I wrote an article about them both in Military Modelling about that time along with photographs.

I have heard from several reliable sources that the Russians store much of their obsolete military equipment in former gypsum mines. I have seen examples of MG34 and MG42 from such stores and they were in excellent condition. Perhaps this is where these SPGs were stored during the Cold War.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

No idea where to begin to search. I have thousands of photographs, many of which have never seen the light of day. It would take the best part of a year to scan them all.

However, the SU-420 and SU-310 photos did appear in Military Modelling and Military Machines International in the 1990s.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...