Spitfire in crate.......

Willyslancs

diver99 This thread could tie up with the buried shermans. On another forum, there is a qeustion of what happened to two shermans which were at the Los Alamos Nuclear Testing site.
I believe Los Alamos used a light tank possibly a M5A1 in some experiments but I don't know for what purpose -it could have been just to protect observers testing implosion rings. I would be surprised if the 2 Shermans were buried contaminated waste was not generally regarded as a problem in the first years of the atomic age -they weren't very particular in examining the old battlewagons used in the Bikini tests.

In Australia the Centurion used in the nuclear tests was washed down, had minor parts such as periscopes and soft fittings replaced and put back in service- I'm pretty sure it went to Vietnam later and is in private ownership today. One of the Churchill Mk7 ARVEs once at Bovy was used by the Atomic Energy authority -don't know what for, it's not believed to have been exposed to radio-activity.

Steve

Yes there were supposedly 2 used I assume this one is the tank used to fire restrained rockets into ground zero to collect samples while the zone was still extremely hot, the other one went into the zone and collected samples manually through the floor escape hatch. It is said it reversed in so it could accelerate away if the levels got too high. Note the cylinders to pressurize the tank.

It is also said that only 1 tank was used for both rocket firing and then to enter the hot zone. Prior to this the 2 Shermans were used for tests of Lanthuimum sphere experiments and according to one story 1 tank was used in the Trinnity test, it was altered with a lead sheath in the crew compartment and pressurization- prior to that the Lanthuimum test relied on distance and standard steel armour as protection against the high level short lived gamma bursts:shocked: however the area used for these tests is still heavily contaminated to this day.

Evidently the documents on the disposal are either incomplete or not available. Do you know if the WW2f web site is really compromised -I'm getting a virus warning! or is it just radio-active:-D

I grew up near the USAF bases of Mildenhall and Lakenheath and wouldn't be surprised if large 'dumping sites' of vehicles and equipment were found. It would be great if the Spitfire was unearthed though....