how to remove MB steering column/gear?

skapunkninja

I have about 3" of free pl;ay in the steering of my 44 MB, so want to take out the steering gear and refurbish it.

Anyone know how to get it out? and any pitfalls to look out for?

cheers :D

Rich

The only possible problem you could encounter is removing the steering wheel if it is siezed on to the splines, the easiest way then is to remove the n/s front wing (fender) then disconnect the drag link, horn wire its live btw, remove the bolts through the chassis, the top clamp, and sealing ring on the toe board, it will give you more room to manouver, and with some fiddling the steering box will come out

Edited by Nick Johns

Its worth completely dismantling the steering box, the upper and lower bearings and cups wear and can be pitted. The sector shaft and worm gear also wear and thats the most common reason for play.

The most annoying job I found was removing and fitting a new bronze ring whrere the horn connects. Also you need to apply quite a lot of heat to the bronze ring without melting the plastic underneath to re-solder the horn wire, in the end I used a huge 50 year old soldering iron a friend lent me.

Theres some debate on whether to refit the box using oil or grease as grease can harden and not lube the parts it should. Oil is very messy and can leak, I went with grease which I'll regularly top up with a gun.

Its all worth doing while youre there. :)

Cheers guys. I've disconnected the arm and rocked the steering wheel, the play is defiantly in the gear. I managed to get the steering wheel off last night, so ill hopefully tackle getting the rest out tonight.

The jeep had massive off road wheels and tyres fitted for the last god knows how many years, so I'm thinking that they might have caused extra wear inside the gear