Hedd Jones

Hello

I'm Hedd Jones, I live in Market Drayton, Shropshire but hail from a place called Ruthin in North Wales.

I'm not particularly a military vehicle enthusiast, just found this site by accident looking for an identity of a Diamond T that father used to fetch a trailer once.

My main interest is steam engines and Austin 7's, I own a running 1915 Marshall Steam Tractor, a 1920 Fowler Steam Roller (under restoration) along with a 1930 Austin 7 Saloon (currently broken down again!).

Father was/is both a scrap man/dealer and enthusiast so he had quite a lot of stuff over the years which I grew up fetching, delivering and selling at autojumbles etc. Most of the stuff was pre war and veteran and was moved on to fund the restoration of the Marshall. Cars, lorries, spares etc etc.

My current project is my Fowler roller, so far I have fitted a new firebox, boiler barrell and tubeplate, and perhaps in 12 months time I may have two running engines.

Also on the go is a steel 4 wheel trailer mady by Eagle Engineering of Warwick, it is Works No5 so is likely from the great war in date (it's on Solid rubbers), hopwfully we will be able to use this behind the Marshall once complete.

I'm afraid I will not be a prolific poster, just the odd post here and there.

Hi Hedd, welcome to the forum, dont buy anything military, you will become infected, and there is no known cure once infected......... hope to see you and your machines at the steam fairs....... keep us posted, I only live about 20 miles from you. :kissoncheek:

Hi Hedd.

Glad you found us! You will find that this is a nice friendly forum with discussions about all sorts of things related to vehicles or military history or both. I enjoy it immensely. I also blame your father for selling me the thing in the first place!

Steve :-D

Welcome Hedd, see you at a local event this year? I'm not far down the road, Nr. Eccleshall.

First event we try to pay a visit to is the A41 tea stop on drive it day.

Andy.

I should be out locally in Market Drayton with the Marshall either on 19th or 20th February for my 2 year old daughters birthday party!. I have to machine some bits for the water level gauge first but the bronze is on order so it shouldn't be a problem. The engine lives on a farm near Woore.

Given the fuel prices and general cost of living I will be reigning my neck in a bit this year with the steamer, perhaps only attending a couple of events in Shrewsbury, one in Much Marcle, and one in Bishops Castle. We worked our way down to Fairford last year with it (we steam and drive it 99% of the time), and used a considerable amount of fuel in the cars driving to and from, each event worked out at 3 round trips!. Still probably cheaper than a truck!.

The engine is currently out of the Austin, for unknown reason it suffered a failiure of the timing gears 200 miles following a rebuild (not by me!) in September. It is at the stage where the camshaft with replacement timing gear is ready to go back in, (not as easy as you think with the rest of the engine assembled) and it can put back together. I just need some time in the garage. I have attributed the failiure to a tight bearing in the dynamo though the oil feed may have also been throttled by a poorly aligned oil hole in the cam bush. I have attacked the bush with the Dremmell and will refit my old unrebuilt dynamo that has never been any trouble.