• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to upload a couple of photo's to a thread now for the past few hours but it won't let me for some reason. The bar that says it is uploading goes all the way to the end but then they don't upload.

I've left it about ten minutes just incase it was on a go slow but it still hasn't helped. Any ideas of what it could be?

Your pic may be too big, click the blue question mark in the upload manager window to see sizes allowed.

Thanks. The picture size is 1.49mb which shouldn't be too large to upload as it actually tells you if it is as I have just tried another picture.

I have been trying to upload a couple of photo's to a thread now for the past few hours but it won't let me for some reason. The bar that says it is uploading goes all the way to the end but then they don't upload.

I've left it about ten minutes just incase it was on a go slow but it still hasn't helped. Any ideas of what it could be?

I have just tried to upload a couple of piccys, 1.8 mb approx, just says upload failed

Mark

Don't take this the wrong way, but nearly 2mb for a photo is far too large for this forum. You should resize photos to try and keep them to below 500kb. Large picture files take up lots of bandwith, increase the running costs of the forum and make the pages slower to load. In addition to this there are plenty of us who view the forum from mobile devices, where these problems are even worse.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing software to resize photos, if in doubt there's always Google.

Chris

Don't take this the wrong way, but nearly 2mb for a photo is far too large for this forum. You should resize photos to try and keep them to below 500kb. Large picture files take up lots of bandwith, increase the running costs of the forum and make the pages slower to load. In addition to this there are plenty of us who view the forum from mobile devices, where these problems are even worse.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing software to resize photos, if in doubt there's always Google.

Chris

Chris,

I have never had problems before though, the last piccy I uploaded (uniforms) is 1.78mb and that loaded ok, but one that is 1.69 wont!

Mark

Had an issue with uploading photos had two fails

One was on size. Yet I managed to upload a slightly larger one.

the other was to fo with resolution/image size. It was a scanned photo which had a strange size.

I assumed it was just a bad day

Will make full notes if it occurs again.

Generally I do not have any problems as I resize images to either 900 or 1200 (pixels) on the longest length with proportions maintained.

I then save as a jpeg with a size between 0.5 and 1mb.

Use Photoshop Elements.

This example was saved down to 1200(x800) with a file size of 520kb. Perfectly fine for viewing.

The upload also seems to down size it further as it appears as 172.6 kb in the attachment manager. (This could be where the issue occurs as it probably can only handle certain sizes. Straight from the camera this was a 10.2 mb jpg file.

Mike

test1.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice but I'm the same as Mark, below, in never having had this trouble before and have uploaded pictures bigger than this over the years. So I'm surprised that there is a problem with it this time around.

Scott

Chris,

I have never had problems before though, the last piccy I uploaded (uniforms) is 1.78mb and that loaded ok, but one that is 1.69 wont!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having problems uploading photo's, in fact I haven't been able to for some time now.

If it is becuase they are too big what can I do to make them smaller? I always been able to upload pics from this camera before so I can't see why I can't now.

Any help much appreciated as I have got something of interest I want to stick online.

Scott

I'm still having problems uploading photo's, in fact I haven't been able to for some time now.

If it is becuase they are too big what can I do to make them smaller? I always been able to upload pics from this camera before so I can't see why I can't now.

Any help much appreciated as I have got something of interest I want to stick online.

Scott

Try the basic uploader.. instruction here http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17701-Tutorial...-Uploading-Photos-amp-other-Attachments

Thanks Lee,

I've tried that but it's still not playing ball - must just be me!

I downloaded a picture resizer earlier on but it leaves a watermark on the pictures which I don't like so will keep searching for a better one.

Scott

Thanks Lee,

I've tried that but it's still not playing ball - must just be me!

I downloaded a picture resizer earlier on but it leaves a watermark on the pictures which I don't like so will keep searching for a better one.

Scott

Why not just use photobucket?

Cheers guys. I have found out my old photobucket account so can perhaps use that in future but will have a look at that website now Joris.

The program Joris has suggested looks quite good especially if doing a lot of images.

I tend to resize mine using Photo Shop Elements so the the largest dimension is 900 or 1200 pixels and then do a save as making sure image file size is below 1mb.

I have experienced a few problems but when viewing the info provided for failure it turns out it has been my fault for cropping images and forgetting to resize.

WARNING Always make sure the original photos are backed up. Mistakes can be very annoying (or worse).

Mike