'Fess-up, who's restoring a Panzer IV?

Pzkpfw-e

• 7 months later...
looks fantastic, but im sorry surely the correct drivetrain could have been found.

According to the War and Peace programme an engine is being looked for but has not yet been found ! As the owner is rather wealthy I would imagine it will have the correct engine as soon as possible ! :D

I can shed some light on this as I collected it from A&S and transported it to Beltring.

2011013.jpg

The picture from the tank museum is the actual vehicle.

When recovered from an army range it was in two pieces (split wide open) and has taken 4 years to restore.

As for the engine and steering unit - it is from an FV432 (K60 power pack) as the manufacturers units are very difficult, if not impossible to obtain.

Personally I prefer to see the thing moving around rather than sitting there looking pretty.

As for the owner - sorry but my lips are sealed.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

As for the owner - sorry but my lips are sealed.

Mark,

The owner's identity is no secret, just look at the entry list in the W&P programme, or the list of prizewinners on the website.

Incidentally, talking of prize winners, how can a Panzer IV and M5A1 Stuart, win 1st and 2nd prizes in a category for "Best British Tracked Armour" ?? When I judged that class some years ago, I only looked at vehicles Made in Britain. The following year, someone else judged, and awarded it to a Chaffee !!!

Edited by Richard Farrant

Mark,

The owner's identity is no secret, just look at the entry list in the W&P programme, or the list of prizewinners on the website.

Incidentally, talking of prize winners, how can a Panzer IV and M5A1 Stuart, win 1st and 2nd prizes in a category for "Best British Tracked Armour" ?? When I judged that class some years ago, I only looked at vehicles Made in Britain. The following year, someone else judged, and awarded it to a Chaffee !!!

In 2009 my Sabre was runner up in the Best British Tracked Armour category. The winner was an M3 Stuart built in the USA and imported from Brazil. I think the judges need reminding what they are judging.

very nice

to have rebuilt that, I wouldnt care if it had a Toyota Hilux engine in it, they have started with nothing and built something that looks the part. As someone said earlier it's better that it moves than is a static display

Damn, PLEASE I don't want to start up the originality argument again, just full kudos to the guys that want to invest their time, money and effort into rebuilding something most people would not dream of rebuilding.

Damn, PLEASE I don't want to start up the originality argument again, just full kudos to the guys that want to invest their time, money and effort into rebuilding something most people would not dream of rebuilding.

Well said!

(I'm a bit of an admirer of the Hilux myself - maybe a 5 unit multibank like a Sherman would work OK :-D)

Edited by N.O.S.

Mark,

Richard old bean - don't believe everything you read.............................

In 2009 my Sabre was runner up in the Best British Tracked Armour category. The winner was an M3 Stuart built in the USA and imported from Brazil. I think the judges need reminding what they are judging.

My Rapier was runner up this year:-D Nice to be in the arena again for an award and shake the hand of a Vet! not been in there since the AA Jeep won best runner up:cool2: a few years ago.

that's exactly what we've been told by a " very reliable source " !

I know of another vehicle (quite different to this one!) being restored for the King of Jordan at the moment. He is obviously a bit of an armour fan !!