HMS Sturgeon

fesm_ndt

Now that is nice.

Takes me back to the days when I had to do drawings on a board.

You cannot beat the skill, care and time spent producing a drawing of that type by hand.

The really good ones are fantastic and worth saving and displaying.

Hand drawing really sorted the the dross out, unlike the modern soulless CAD drawings.

Mind you can normally tell the CAD drawings prepared by an old hand, they just seem to have that little extra.

Mike

I think I still have somewhere an early copy of "One of our submarines" by Lt Cdr E Young, who became the first RNVR officer to command a boat.

Having survived a collision and sinking (on a U-class boat, not Ursula after whom the suits were named - tip of my tongue - Umpire - wiki is my friend), he passed his Perisher and in 1943 iirc he took command of a new S-boat under construction, Storm.

In peacetime he had worked for Pelican Books. After the war, he wrote his magnum opus and Pelican made it Pelican Book Number 1000.

Good book, some good photos and a line drawing of Storm. It would be interesting to compare Storm and Sturgeon.

Available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Submarines-Sword-Military-Classics/dp/1844151069

Now that is nice.

Takes me back to the days when I had to do drawings on a board.

You cannot beat the skill, care and time spent producing a drawing of that type by hand.

The really good ones are fantastic and worth saving and displaying.

Hand drawing really sorted the the dross out, unlike the modern soulless CAD drawings.

Mind you can normally tell the CAD drawings prepared by an old hand, they just seem to have that little extra.

Mike

Totally agree Mike....I was not allowed to progress onto ink technical pens until I could produce a full working drawing, including anotation in only pencil! The Good Old Days....Bring them back......

Totally agree Mike....I was not allowed to progress onto ink technical pens until I could produce a full working drawing, including anotation in only pencil! The Good Old Days....Bring them back......

Oh yes and when you could do the lines with a pen the printing has a real knack to it.

They spent years at school teachng you to write joined up.

You go and get a job where you spend all your time forgetting how do.

Really struggle with the joined up writing now.

Mike

When framing note these advices;

-Frame it totally visible (nor partially hidden by the frame).

-Put special acidfree archive paper behind it.

-Watch out for light, especially sunlight.

Mounts cards are all acid free here in the UK and we even use museum mounts with a cotton core.

The sunlight fading issue is eliminated with non-reflective glass....

My wife owns a gallery and picture framing studio so have a little inside information on this subject.

Correct comments though Enigma