Quotes from A Bridge too far

Joris

During the paradropping on the Ginkel Heath, Enigma, Ronnie, Marc and me were constantly comming up with quotes from A Bridge Too Far. I've found a big list with quotes that I just have to share with you all :)

Memorable Quotes from

A Bridge Too Far (1977)

Field Marshal Model: What can you see?

General Ludwig: Nothing. But they're going to try a river assault.

Field Marshal Model: It will fail.

General Ludwig: Of course. But what do we do if it doesn't?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corporal Hancock: Sir.

[Offers mug of tea]

Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

Corporal Hancock: Couldn't hurt, sir.

[urquhart accepts his mug of tea]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brigadier General Gavin: What's the best way to take a bridge?

Maj. Julian Cook: Both ends at once.

Brigadier General Gavin: I'm sending two companies across the river by boat. I need a man with very special qualities to lead.

Maj. Julian Cook: Go on, sir.

Brigadier General Gavin: He's got to be tough enough to do it and he's got to be experienced enough to do it. Plus one more thing. He's got to be dumb enough to do it... Start getting ready.

Junior Officer: what was all that about, Major?

Maj. Julian Cook: Well someone's come up with a real nightmare. Real nightmare.

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: I've just been on to Monty. He's very proud and pleased.

Major General Urquhart: Pleased?

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: Of course. He thinks Market Garden was 90% successful.

Major General Urquhart: But what do you think?

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: Well, as you know, I always felt we tried to go a bridge too far.

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: Everyone knows you have never lost a battle.

Field Marshall Gerd von Runstedt: I'm still young, give me time.

Field Marshall Walther Model: Why do all my generals want to destroy my bridges?

[before jumping out of a plane]

Maj. General Stanislaw Sosabowski: God bless Field Marshall Montgomery.

Brig. General James Gavin: So that's it. We're pulling them out. It was Nijmegen.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: It was the single road getting to Nijmegen.

Lt. General Horrocks: No, it was after Nijmegen.

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: And the fog, in England.

Maj. General Stanislaw Sosabowski: Doesn't matter what it was. When one man says to another, "I know what let's do today, let's play the war game."... everybody dies.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Remember what the general said. We're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive early; in the nick of time would do nicely.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Remember what the general said; we're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive in advance of schedule. In the nick of time would do nicely.

Lt. General Horrocks: Kickoff will be at 14:35 hours tomorrow afternoon. The Irish Guards under the command of Col. Vandeleur will take the lead.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: [sotto voce] Christ, not us again.

Lt. General Horrocks: What'd you say to that, Joe?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Delighted, sir, truly delighted.

Lt. General Horrocks: I've selected you to lead us, not only because of your extraordinary fighting ability, but also because, in the unlikely event the Germans ever get you, they will assume from your attire that they've captured a wreched peasant and immediately send you on your way.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Where's the captain?

Soldier: Dead.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Didn't ask you how he was. I asked you where he was.

Grenadier Guards Major: How the hell do they expect us to keep schedule on a road like this?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: You don't know the worst. This bit we're on now?

Grenadier Guards Major: Yes?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: It's the wide part.

Home Owner: She says you are much too noisy.

John Frost: She does realize there's something of a war going on, doesn't she?

John Frost: I'm awfully sorry, but I'm afraid we're going to have to occupy your house.

Col. Robert Stout: I'm Bobby Stout.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Have you ever been liberated before?

Col. Robert Stout: I got divorced twice, does that count?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: That counts.

Lt. General Horrocks: This is a story you will tell your grandchildren; and mightily bored they'll be.

Lt. General Horrocks: Do you think you'll be able to pull it off, Joe?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: I have nothing else planned for this afternoon.

Maj. General Roy Urqhart: When you first named me to this command, I told you I had never jumped before, but I felt I should at least give it a go. You told me, 'Roy, you're much too old and far too large for that sort of thing.' Well, I didn't tell you at the time, but you did me a favor. You see, I'm prone to airsickness.

Lt. General Browning: Good God. Every time?

Maj. General Roy Urqhart: Well, we'll soon see.

Col. Robert Stout: Could you get a message down to XXXth Corps on that dingus?

Radio Operator: Yes, sir. Uh, we just got word from the 82nd up ahead. They captured the Graves bridge completely intact!

Col. Robert Stout: Aw, that's terrrific. Except XXXth Corps ain't about to reach the godam intact Graves bridge until the godam Son bridge gets fixed. Tell our British cousins to hustle up some Bailey stuff.

Radio Operator: Yes, sir.

Col. Robert Stout: I'll meet 'em in Eindoven when they get there. Tell those schmucks to do this right and have their Bailey stuff at the front of their column. Got that?

Col. Robert Stout: And be sure to say please.

[stout and Vanderleur are discussing how to get the Bailey bridge through town]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?

[looks at the crowd of Dutch civilians]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: I don't know how you're going to get it through this crowd.

Col. Robert Stout: No sweat. I got a back way staked out that will avoid all this. American ingenuity.

Col. Joe. Vanderleur: Really?

Col. Robert Stout: Actually, I was born in Yugoslavia, but what the hell.

[final plans are being discussed]

Lt. Gen. Frederick Browning: Only the weather can stop us now.

General Stanislaw Sosaboski: Weather. What of the Germans, General Browning. Don't you think that if we know Arnhem is so critical to their safety that they might know it too?

Lt. General Frederick Browning: See here, General Sosaboski, I should think you would have more faith in Field Marshal Montgomery's plan.

General Stanislaw Sosaboski: Faith? I will tell you how much faith I have. I am thinking of asking for a letter from you stating that I was ordered to go on this mission in case my men are massacred.

Lt. General Frederick Browning: I see... I do see. Do you wish such a letter?

General Stanislaw Sosaboski: No... In the case of massacre: what difference will it make?

[Gavin is discussing the glitches that have come up]

Captain Harry Bestebreurtje: I don't want to hear any more. Is there any more?

Brigadier General James Gavin: You're my Dutch advisor, Harry.

Captain Harry Bestebreurtje: What's that supposed to mean?

Brigadier General James Gavin: Just that the Germans first tried to take Nijmeagen Bridge in 1940; and got slaughtered.

[Carlyle has asked to see Frost before he dies]

Lt. Col. John Frost: Hello, Harry.

Major Harry Carlyle: Hello. Johnny.

Lt. Col. John Frost: You know, Harry; I always wanted to ask you but didn't because I knew you so very much wanted me to; but why do you always carry that umbrella?

Major Harry Carlyle: Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.

Field Marshal Model: No reinforcements to Arnhem. Von Runstedt says we will need them for our counter attack.

Lt. General Bittrich: Counterattack! With what?

Field Marshal Model: Paratroopers are lightly armed and equipped. They cannot hold out for long. If we can hold up their infantry on the road to Arnhem, they will be forced to surrender

Field Marshal Model's aide: British paratroopers have landed.

Field Marshall Walther Model: Why should they do that? There is nothing important here. Me... I am important. They have come just to capture me.

Capt. Glass: My problem is, I'm not totally crazy about the prospect of dying.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: So don't die. Drinking that garbage isn't gonna keep you alive, is it?

Capt. Glass: What is?

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: What is? Well, not gettin' shot.

Capt. Glass: What can guarantee that?

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Nothing, for sure.

Capt. Glass: You will.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: I will what?

Capt. Glass: You tell me, Eddie. You tell me I won't die.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Alright, you won't die.

Capt. Glass: No, no. Guarantee me. I want you to guarantee me I won't die.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: [seriously] I guarantee you.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Colonel, if you don't look at him right now, he's going to die.

U.S. medical colonel: He's dead now.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: It would mean a lot to me, sir, if you'd check him out.

U.S. medical colonel: Come on, Sergeant! For Chrissakes get him out of here!

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Would you look at him please, sir.

[draws his .45]

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now. Or I'll blow your fuckin' head off.

[cocks the .45]

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now.

U.S. medical colonel: I can give him a quick examination if you like.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Thank you very much, sir.

U.S. medical colonel: Sergeant Dohun pulled a gun on me and threatened to kill me unless I did precisely what he ordered. I want you to put him under arrest.

Lt. Rafferty: Yes sir.

U.S. medical colonel: I want you to keep him there. I want you to keep him there for at least ten seconds.

Lt. Rafferty: I'm not all that sure I understand, Colonel.

U.S. medical colonel: Count to ten, Lieutenant, fast.

Lt. Rafferty: One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Like that, sir?

U.S. medical colonel: [dismisses him] Thank you, Lieutenant.

U.S. medical colonel: You scared the shit out of me, you stupid bastard.

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: You did a fine job yourself, sir, if it makes you feel any better.

U.S. medical colonel: You're goddamn right it does.

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: Hello, Roy. How are you?

Maj. General Roy Urqhart: I'm not sure I'll know for a while. But I'm sorry about how it turned out.

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: You did all you could.

Maj. General Roy Urqhart: Yes, but did everyone else?

Lt. General Frederick "Boy" Browning: They've got a bed for you upstairs if you want it.

Maj. General Roy Urqhart: I took ten thousand men into Arnhem. I've come out with less than two. I don't feel much like sleeping.

Wounded Paratrooper: Morphia! Taffy, I must have morphia!

'Taffy' Brace: Morphia's only for the people who are really hurt.

Wounded Paratrooper: I thought I *was* really hurt.

'Taffy' Brace: Well, you're wrong.

General Ludwig: Forgive me, but there is a battle. And we are in the process of winning it.

Dr. Jan Spaander: Winning and losing is not our concern - living and dying... is.

Maj. Julian Cook: [reporting another delay to his officers] Ah, I suppose you're wondering why I called you here. I want to tell you that I've decided to cross the river like George Washington; standing in the prow of the boat.

Bittrich's Aide: [Walking across Arnhem Bridge with a white flag]

Major Harry Carlyle: That's far enough

Bittrich's Aide: My General says that there is no point in continuing this fight and is willing to discuss terms of surrender.

John Frost: [in the background - sotto voce] Tell them to go to hell!

Major Harry Carlyle: Sorry, we don't have the proper facilities to take you all prisoner... Sorry, We'd like to...

[bittrich's Aide turns away confused]

Major Harry Carlyle: [Carlyle to Frost] Rather gracious of me don't you think?

Major Harry Carlyle: [an SS officer is approaching under a flag of truce] Rather interesting development, sir.

Major Harry Carlyle: [to the German] That's far enough!

Major Harry Carlyle: We can hear you from there!

SS Panzer Officer: My general says there is no point in continuing this fighting! He wishes to discuss terms of a surrender!

Major Harry Carlyle: Shall I answer him, sir?

Lt. Col. John Frost: Tell him to go to hell.

Major Harry Carlyle: We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!

SS Panzer Officer: [German officer looks confused] What?

Major Harry Carlyle: We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else?

Lt. Col. John Frost: [German officer walks off] Well; that's that.

SS Panzer Officer: [in German] They rejected our surrender offer. What are your orders, Herr General?

Lt. General Bittrich: [in German] Flatten Arnhem.