Accurate Armour Models

Sidewinder

I would have thought a Diamond T 980/1 in 1:24th scale would very much be a commercialy viable model to manufacture. It would have interest from many directions simply because of the amount of uses it was put to in it's time. There is the military, recovery, fairground, heavy haulage even followers of the Austrailian roadtrains would want one as Diamond T's were used as the first practical roadtrain's. In the army they were used by the British, Americans, Canadians, Austrailians, Russians and most of the European armies after the wars end. Just an example of the many many many different variations that I am sure thousands of model makers would love to re-produce. So why why why is knowone producing one ????

So any manufacturers out there reading this I say on behalf of most of the model making and Diamond T owning world PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Produce one (and a trailer) and make a lot of people including me, very happy.

Steve.....

Steve,

Speaking AS A MANUFACTURER ....you're quite right, it would have lots of commercial potential (or would it given the costs involved), but so do 1000 other subjects & their followers feel the same way about their passions as you do about yours.

I hear it every single day "Oh you must do a nineteen canteen so & so it would be a big seller". The simple fact is that these things cost money & lots of it. AND, quite often the people who cried out for it at the start some how go quiet when it's actually available & needs paying for.

The plastic kit manufacturers won't touch it (not in 1/24th/25th anyway) with a bargepole unless it looks set to guarantee sales in excess of of 50,000. Purely because of the massive tooling costs.

Resin manufacturers tend to stick to 1/35th for military subjects (for obvious reasons) which then leaves odd balls like me doing 1/24th civilian truck & military subjects in 1/24th.

Heres a taster for you...in 1/24th scale a complete, fully detailed, from the ground up, kit of a Diamond T with it's trailer, in resin, white metal & brass etch, would cost in excess of £600.00.

Now if you'd like to purchase the first run of 50 kits at that price I might be interested.

Howard @ KFS

Thank you for your responce Howard.

I know I am a little biased towards Diamond T's but I cannot understand why the type is so overlooked by the kit manufacturers. Pat Ware the former editor of HMV has described them as the best looking truck of WW2 and I'm sure a lot of people, owners or not would agree with him.

I fully realise that to produce such a kit is an expensive undertaking but so does any other kit and they get produced. As I said in the previous post there is a lot of scope with a Diamond T and it would appeal to modelers with interests in the vehicles in many other applications as well as military, such as heavy haulage, recovery and fairground transport so would have a greater demand than for example (please forgive me Mike) Antars.

I for one would be happy to pay £600 for a Diamond T kit, especialy one with the detail and quality that the kit's you produce have. I am sure that far more than 50 people would feel as I do and I would without hesitation, buy what would be a very impressive kit from you.

Respectfuly....Steve.

Edited by diamond-t-steve

• 6 months later...

I am building the Wespe Diamond T in Alan Oxboroughs livery, its a bit tricky as there are so many different colours in use. This is the 1st Resin Model I have attempted, I was just wondering what the difference's are between Accurate Armour Diamond T's & the Wespe. On Alans T I need all sorts of spares, including 1/35th scale American Jerry cans, plus some of the old warning lights which were placed around obstacles, it would also be nice to get a Showmans Caravan to complete the scene. :drive:

I can't comment on the Wespe Diamond T but I've got an AA wrecker in my "to build" pile and it's a mighty kit. I've built kits from both companies and there's an absolute world of difference between AA and Wespe kits. AA's kits are far better detailed (microscopic detail on the resin bits, photo-etch parts, decals etc) than Wespe's (resin bits only) but they cost much more. AA's instructions are much clearer too, but they have to be because their kits have a lot more parts. Some of Wespe's kits are a bit inaccurate but I'm not a desperate rivet-counter so it doesn't bother me too much. On the whole I think AA are better value but I'm not decrying Wespe's efforts - both companies make kits which can be built into cracking models.

I'm just finishing an AA Chieftain Mk11 and I can't decide what unit's markings to put on it. Anybody got any suggestions?

I can't comment on the Wespe Diamond T but I've got an AA wrecker in my "to build" pile and it's a mighty kit. I've built kits from both companies and there's an absolute world of difference between AA and Wespe kits. AA's kits are far better detailed (microscopic detail on the resin bits, photo-etch parts, decals etc) than Wespe's (resin bits only) but they cost much more. AA's instructions are much clearer too, but they have to be because their kits have a lot more parts. Some of Wespe's kits are a bit inaccurate but I'm not a desperate rivet-counter so it doesn't bother me too much. On the whole I think AA are better value but I'm not decrying Wespe's efforts - both companies make kits which can be built into cracking models.

I'm just finishing an AA Chieftain Mk11 and I can't decide what unit's markings to put on it. Anybody got any suggestions?

I have never built a kit before where you cant make head nor tail of the instructions, its a good job I have some excellent photos of the parts I am trying to assemble, also I feel that it helps if you have some inside knowledge of the vehicle involved, if I get stuck I can go and look at Adrians Diamond T, as that is only 15 miles from where I live. I see that AA dont have the Diamond T listed anymore, so may have to look for it on ebay. What are your model shops like on the Isle of Man?

.... What are your model shops like on the Isle of Man?

Very average! There's only town centre one that's worth visiting but we've got one at the Aviation & Military Museum which I keep stocked with some of the less run of the mill kits. We mostly sell aircraft; military stuff sells incredibly slowly apart from Airfix Bofors guns but that's probably because we've got a real one outside.

5 Skins

But I'm biased. Just made a MK2 X/Y from the Tamiya kit with lots of modifications (upgraded NBC pack, drinks bins on the turret bustle etc.) for the guy who commanded 00EB57 (Afghan Rebel) in A Sqn in 1980 and they have all sorts of lovely Call Signs and Tac Markings. It's my first attempt at making my own decals in Photoshop and I'm pretty happy with the results

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

For my MK11, I did 4RTR with Chinese Eyes

IMG_0624.jpg

Edited by mjstubley