Continental R975-C1 Radial Engine oil ?

Adrian , the Manual says SAE 50 , but this is actually the old fashioned oil , that is wy the engines didn`t last that long .

Best option is if the engine internals are clean to use modern Radial Aircraft oil , this is a much more advanced oil compared to the SAE 50 , People at Duxford could tell you what the Comercial name in the UK is for this oil .

Hello Adrian,

Just checked with Brother in law his chart shows Aeroshell W80 as aviation equivalent, as in SAE 60 is W100 etc, Being a typical Yorkshireman as is myself First thing he said was "its not cheap you know!":shocked: He said it's the same on the Valvoline chart as well Not sure what they have been using in the Stearmans but he will check for you ? if required that is ?

BTW I was the Bloke that rang you about your Reo when you were in the middle of harvesting ! many thanks for your guidance !

I've just got to say WOW, having just read the restoration thread on MLU and watched Jesse's Youtube videos of the rebuilt R 975 running, I've seen pro re-built radials that run far worse, his had no noticeable exhaust smoke even at startup what a fantastic job.

Nige H

The oil that gives good protection against corrosion while the engine is not in use is Shell W80 or W100 Plus. I recommend it to owners who only do a few hours a year in vintage aircraft as more damage can be caused leaving the engine standing for long periods than running it every day. IT IS NOT CHEAP.

Alan

Thanks every one for your help , im going to check with one of my digger part suppliers if they can source the Shell aero oil for me ,its not going to be cheap by the sounds of it !!! , but then what in lifes is cheap these days !!! , a radial engine rebuild isnt either ,

Thanks again Adrian .