Saxon

xtreme

The Patrol versions were deployed to one of the "sand box" theatres of operation recently weren't they, in an armoured ambulance role?

I think that as the previous poster mentioned they were for the most part all over green, but we are likely to see pictures of an all over pink to prove the rule i'm sure!

R

The Patrol versions were deployed to one of the "sand box" theatres of operation recently weren't they, in an armoured ambulance role?

I think that as the previous poster mentioned they were for the most part all over green, but we are likely to see pictures of an all over pink to prove the rule i'm sure!

R

Yes your correct, here's a couple that were backloaded to UK.

100_0900.jpg

100_0903.jpg

In the next fe weeks we will be painting a saxon patrol . it is currently in sand but want to paint it black/green . looked around google images but very few pics can anyone kindly post some pics if they have any .

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan

Use to work on saxons back in my GKN days, we use to paint patrols plain nato green, worked on the first pre production saxon tc for ireland, we lowered the floor, fitted a cummins engine and lined it with spall panels inside, hatches in the roof, amongst other things,happy days, good vehicle,except for the brakes and noise from the transfer box, I have a pair of bolt on riot shields and the big five bar nudge bar if your interested, great for pushing cars out the way!

Cheers Warrior :wow:

Hi . Thanks may have a use for the riot shield . do need some metal work some of the bins are a bit warped as it seems like in was in a bit of a blast as theres all shrapnel to the rear and the rear door hinges are bent as if they were open when the blast happened. will post some pics tommorrow . thanks for the response

Dan

Pardon me for being the thick'o here (Saxon was well after my time & that's the excuse I'm sticking to)

But;-

What are the two box like devices on the end of the projections coming off the front ?, & why would they have been deployed somewhere desert like & retain (what appears to be) their fold out riot shield wings.

Educate me someone :undecided:

H

• 7 months later...

As a cvrt crew commander at RAF Catterick in the Regiment I lost count of the times I heard ''can you come and pull my Saxon out of the mud'' .....Saxon must have been the most useless piece of off road vehicle in military history, as once we got there it was stuck by only a miniscule:blush: rut.

saxon offroad ability was absolutely dire, for some reason they only had diff locks on the rear axle and not the front, luckily the reme variant had both which gave us a little more traction but it was still bobbins. when i was in bosnia they kept falling off the edge of mountains, by shear luck no one was killed but the next mob after us lost 3 guys killed in the first week of the tour when one went over the edge, you needed a lot of luck and skill to get a saxon back down a mountain track, to give you an idea how bad it was a new set of shoes would last 200 miles before they were on the rivets !

rick