My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

It was 40 miles away, so we clocked up 240 miles in the Honda towing and 80 miles in the Dodge.

It worked out at £93.00 petrol and diesel and three days off work, sorting trailers and ferrying the third vehicle on the Thursday and Monday. I was pretty knackered on Tuesday and Wednesday too, so just worked on the Croft website rather than real work, so call it a week out of my life.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

It was 40 miles away, so we clocked up 240 miles in the Honda towing and 80 miles in the Dodge.

It worked out at £93.00 petrol and diesel and three days off work, sorting trailers and ferrying the third vehicle on the Thursday and Monday. I was pretty knackered on Tuesday and Wednesday too, so just worked on the Croft website rather than real work, so call it a week out of my life.

Im not if sure if you wife drives but if so you could cut that down to 160 miles.

Wife drives one Jeep and Jeep trailer.

You drive Dodge and tow other jeep on trailer.....simple maybe ?

It would be a shame not too display those vehicles together again.

I remember one year doing hundred of miles and hours driving getting our vehicles to W&P, I gave up costing the fuel after the third visit to petrol station,hence why I tend to take a jeep on a trailer to run about.

The Dodge can't tow the flatbed, and the M201 runs, but is misfiring every so often ( needs valves seats recutting. I've aborted two events this year already due to power loss. Engine stripdown over winter ). The other Jeep only had 60 miles on the clock since rebuild, and I didn't want to risk a long drive on a still relatively untested vehicle, therefore both Jeeps had to be trailered to Croft.

The Dodge can't tow the flatbed, and the M201 runs, but is misfiring every so often ( needs valves seats recutting. I've aborted two events this year already due to power loss. Engine stripdown over winter ). The other Jeep only had 60 miles on the clock since rebuild, and I didn't want to risk a long drive on a still relatively untested vehicle, therefore both Jeeps had to be trailered to Croft.

Why cant the Dodge tow the flatbed ?

Come on Steve, fitting a 50mm ball is not a problem.

How do you think they managed to to tow the Ben hur trailers. These Dodges can do a LOT more than you think.........

It would make life much easier for you.

You have done such a great job with all the other gear.

I've no interest in spending money on a hitch conversion for something unlikely to happen again. Having all three vehicles together was a one off. Occasionally we take the Dodge and Jeep somewhere, both driven, but that is rare, perhaps once a year, so life is easy as it is now. Three won't happen again unless someone is sponsoring the fuel and time off work, so it is not worth any expense to make it possible. If someone does want to pay for all three, I still have the means to get them there as I did at Croft.

I've no interest in spending money on a hitch conversion for something unlikely to happen again. Having all three vehicles together was a one off. Occasionally we take the Dodge and Jeep somewhere, both driven, but that is rare, perhaps once a year, so life is easy as it is now. Three won't happen again unless someone is sponsoring the fuel and time off work, so it is not worth any expense to make it possible. If someone does want to pay for all three, I still have the means to get them there as I did at Croft.

Ouch, sorry I made that suggestion I was not aware you were looking for sponsorship....thought you did it like most of us....for the love of it.

Anyway the vehicles still look good and good luck.

You aren't reading what I'm typing. I'm not looking for sponsorship, and I'm not interested in taking all three vehicles anywhere again; I've done it once. However if someone wanted all three vehicles on show somewhere, they will have to cover the cost. I'm not rolling in money.

You aren't reading what I'm typing. I'm not looking for sponsorship, and I'm not interested in taking all three vehicles anywhere again; I've done it once. However if someone wanted all three vehicles on show somewhere, they will have to cover the cost. I'm not rolling in money.

As I said you have done a great job with all your vehicles,well done. Enjoy them and good luck.

I'm sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I can understand re the money,I think that affects a lot of us.

• 1 month later...

The Dodge only attended one more event this year, and that was the annual DLI Museum show. Sunday I was on the bank under the trees, and Monday back on the flat by the pond.

dli1.jpg

A few days later, I took the Jeep to Teesside Airport to meet up with the Canadian Lancaster on tour in the UK.

lanc1.jpg

lanc49.jpg

My last event of the year wasn't with a vehicle at all. It was the much anticipated "Three Lancasters" event at East Kirkby airfield in Lincolnshire. The Battle of Britain memorial Flight and Canadian Lancasters were to over fly the museum Lancaster "Just Jane".

September 7th dawned misty, and I had a four hour drive to get there, but it was a fantastic sight.

lanc22.jpg

lanc17.jpg

lanc23.jpg

lanc31.jpg

I had my compact digi camera fastened to my DSLR, shooting some video at the same time I was shooting images. This is the video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In January this year, the Dodge moved a few hundred yards to a new storage site. By February, the owner had built a shelter for the Dodge which kept the worst of the weather off, but there were still a number of holes where rain could get in. I had planned to do something over the summer, but didn't have any suitable materials. Finally at the end of November I got together everything I needed, and December 3rd, I made a start.

2014_shed1.jpg

The first step was to seal up the joints in the roof panels. I bought some guttering sealant which stays a bit flexible, and forced it into the joints. The gap at the end of the roof where the sloping end meets had a plastic sheet clamped over, using wooden battens to hold it in place. The edge of the wood was then sealed with more sealant.

It was the coldest day so far this winter, and there was a good 3/16 inch of ice on parts of the roof! I needed to do lots of drying with cloths where I wanted to stick the sealant. The picture below shows some of the ice.

2014_shed5.jpg

This is the back of the roof which joins a sloping board over the engine/hood area. This gap was covered with plastic sheeting. The roof is made from 1/4 inch material like printed circuit boards and is very tough. The staple gun couldn't penetrate it so I used pre-drilled holes to allow wooden battens to clamp the plastic to the roof. The edge was then sealed with gutter sealant to channel any rain water to the back left corner which is the lowest point.

2014_shed6.jpg

On the front opening of the shelter, I've added the first of a three part curtain to keep the rain out. This can be lifted by pulling two strings. Unfortunately I didn't have any plastic large enough to cover the whole opening, so will add another two smaller curtains to fill the gaps. These will hook onto the main curtain when closed, but will remain hanging when the centre opens.

2014_shed7.jpg

To finish off the day, the Dodge was given a 15 minute run and the brakes exercised. The next trip will hopefully see the shelter complete and the Dodge given one last short trip to turn the wheels and exercise all the moving parts before the battery is removed for the coldest part of the winter.

December 5th

Day two of working on the Dodge shelter. There were a number of small openings along the top edge of the roof, with a several of them on the side of the prevailing wind, and rain. More plastic sheeting was stapled along the gaps, doubled over twice where the staples go through. While there will still be holes here and there where rain will run in, it shouldn't be able to be blown in, in any quantity.

2014_shed9.jpg

The large hole to the right of the engine is on the leeward side, but was still covered with more plastic sheeting. I needed to add a wooden batten vertically up the side of the steel container so I had something to staple into. The door is now made up from three pieces of plastic. The centre one lifts up and the outer pair stay lowered. This allows enough room for the truck to pass through, but gives the door something to fasten to. Perhaps if I find some wider and stronger material, I'll replace it with a one piece door in the future.

2014_shed11.jpg

After the work on the shelter was complete, the Dodge was taken out for a short two mile drive. This was to rotate the wheels as it had been sitting without moving since August, but also to exercise the brakes, suspension and other moving components. The battery was then removed and brought home for the coldest part of the winter. I've added some more acid tablets and will keep it on a maintenance charger until spring.

On the morning of the 12th, I remembered about some old canvas fly sheets I had. One of these would make a much better door for the truck shelter. I wanted to check the Dodge anti-freeze any way, so while there, fitted up the canvas. It was the perfect size for the opening, is much stronger, and extends much closer to the ground. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. It's been kicking around the garage long enough! The anti-freeze was topped up and should now be good for -23C.

2014_shed12.jpg

Now THAT is more like it, the previous was a bit of an apology for a door... ;)

Now all you need to do is to fix a wooden pole across the bottom of the flysheet and you will have a period garage entrance that can be easily rolled up - plus some kind of strap to hold it in position when rolled up. :-D

trevor

• 3 months later...

First drive of the Dodge this year since its winter lay up. Added 5 gallons of fresh fuel, re-fitted the battery, primed the fuel pump; didn't start. Odd! However, it's funny how it starts much better once the rotor arm is re-fitted to the distributor!

Anyway, after that, it started first try, and then went for a short run around the block to exercise all the moving parts. Oil pressure and temps all ok, and I hadn't forgotten how to double de-clutch the gearbox over the winter, so no grinding of gears!

The truck shelter seems to have survived the winter weather pretty well too, as it was dry inside. Just need to wait for a warm couple of days to do the Spring service before the Elvington show in May.