Otterburn range wrecks

steveo578

Saxon personel carriers there were 3 saxons on OTA from 1996

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36570[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36569[/ATTACH]

Surprisingly they 2 were soon removed form the range and scrapped

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36571[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36572[/ATTACH]

That last picture of the Saxon hull wouldn't be a great moral booster for troops still having to use them on ops

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ferrettkitt

That last picture of the Saxon hull wouldn't be a great moral booster for troops still having to use them on ops

Apart from patrol use -for example to replace Saracen etc in NI they certainly have never impressed me.

If I recalled correctly this hull was placed on the "RAF" range so probably shot up by aircraft.

Grizzlies 52 and 76 at the roundabout at Redesdale Camp for transport south.

The last "proper" Sherman was removed about 1983-84 if I recalled correctly, it was one sided with at least one complete bogie unfortunately by the time I got there the scrap compound was bare:-(

grizzlies 52- 76.jpg

grizzlies 52 & 76 b.jpg

Windy Haus/Quickencote HESH range M47s these with the Comets and a concrete filled Saracen were cleared during 1995

Looking good at the rear

Complete tram smash at the front.

Unlike the above, this M47 was filled with concrete which didn't prevent catastropic damage.

Detail of the turret showing the effect of HESH inside the turret.

Steve

M47 7.jpg

M47 8.jpg

M47 9.jpg

M47 10.jpg

This M47 is possibly the tank mentioned by Alien FTM in Post #13

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36702[/ATTACH]

If the firing point is 3 Ks or so down to the left and Scotland behind the camera, quite possibly.

Thirty three years of being duty target have not been kind to it though.

ajmac

Where did the M47s come from?

Germany Belgium Italy and possibly Portugal. After all the Grizzlies were not ex British stock neither are the Russian stuff T34s and T54 that found their way onto ranges prior to the first Gulf War.

I don't know the exact circumstances that the M47 came in for targeting -perhaps they purchased or possibly were part of a deal for licence payments for use of British facilities- for example the Belgians in particular, Germans and Netherlands used OTA well into the 1990s and the Germans used Castlemartin for tank gunnery until about the same time.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

Adrian Barrell

Most of the M47s were ex-Bundeswehr...

Yes alot were - 107341 shown in post #53 is one. M47 seem to have first arrived on OTA fairly early in the M47 disposal programme probably from early 1970s but M47s were still being placed as targets in the late 1980s.

and were rh drive.

The driver of the M47 sat on the left (RH drive) -I assume you mean the co-driver and his secondary controls were deleted and the space used for stowage. This made M47 a four man crew tank -as were M48s and Leopards.

Steve

The driver of the M47 sat on the left (RH drive) -I assume you mean the co-driver and his secondary controls were deleted and the space used for stowage. This made M47 a four man crew tank -as were M48s and Leopards.

Steve

No, I mean the LH side controls were removed and used for extra ammunition IIRC, making them RH drive using the co-drivers controls.

If you drive it from the RH side, it is RH drive!

As with any range there are a fair number of FV432, the first one supports a plate target but is peculiar as the Cromwell and Comet turret combination mentioned previously were positioned to allow ATGW operatives on ATGW 1 to pick up the target- realistic training is always essential in the Army :banghead:

432 near Black Stichel Otterburn Impact Area

432 on the air weapons range

Steve

pencil.png

432 c.jpg

432 a.jpg

432 b.jpg

Edited by steveo578

The OTA was notable for a long term dummy airfield asset complet with aircraft- vehicles and even its own air defence system including Thunderbird launchers and 40mm L/70s

It was cleared from 1997 -1999.

Sea Vixen FA W2 XJ604 ex Cranfield -Halton Sydenham

Sea vixen at the scrap compound in 1998

One of 2 EE Lightnings on the range

Hawker Hunter FGA 9 a composite of XG264 and the rear of XF445

Steve

H Hunter.jpg

EE lightning.jpg

sea vixen 2.jpg

sea vixen.jpg

Pretty sure it isn't a air weapon although this range is for bombing. I think it could be the back end of a practice Charlie G (they have an explosive marker content)-that were supposed to go out of service and then came back as a really useful demolition weapon. Note the damaged 1st road wheel which was probably where it hit.

A total of 4 Centurion ARV Mk2s arrived on OTA in 1994

This ARV 06ZR58 service in the 1991 Gulf War refurbished and then sent for targeting.

6 years as a primary target two photos of a wreck in the Ferny Knowe area. A good target from both ATGW2 and 3 at sufficient distance to allow operators to pick up the target without difficulty.

pencil.png

cent arv 2.jpg

Cent arv.jpg

06ZR58.jpg