Leyland Martian Fv1103A

• 3 weeks later...

As promised earlier, I now have shots of the electric fuel pump rebuild. Although it did work ok, though needing a whack sometimes to get it pumping, I decided to fit a complete overhaul kit aquired from Burlens.

SNV84317.jpg

As was.

SNV84328.jpg

There was a lot of fine brown/beige sediment in the casing, but as I had a couple of old 12v pumps, I used the best for the rebuild, the only difference between 12 & 24v is the actual solenoid unit.

SNV84720.jpg

The parts kit.

P271012_14.190002.jpg

New valves fitted, same valve fitted to inlet and outlet, one just turned upside down.

SNV84723.jpg

The points being fitted, adjusted later when pump assembled.

P271012_14.590001.jpg

The two pump parts before being screwed together.

SNV84817.jpg

Job done, just got to test it works now!

SNV84316.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good! I have a similar pump on mine, I presume you have also bypassed the original mechanical pump? Any problems with fuel pressure being too high for the carb?

Oh and have you looked into pressurising the accumulators? I've been looking around at the kit to charge them from a Nitrogen bottle, brakes and steering are high on my agenda ;-)

The mechanical fuel pump is still in situ on the engine, though I have a new one to replace it with when it stops working, the electric fuel pump was fitted in the system 'coz squaddies used to flatten the batteries winding them over to draw the fuel up to the engine driven pump, as it's a quite a large distance to travel, and it was an easy fix to overcome the problem. As for nitrogen charging, I have a charging head that I got from a chap in America which they use for pumping up shock absorbers, cost around £150, includes I think 3 feet of high pressure pipe and a no loss valve chuck. This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitrogen-regulator-king-fox-air-shock-w-no-loss-chuck-NAL-CHUCK-FILL-TOOL-VALVE-/150967321448?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item23265a8368

All I need now is a bottle of Nitrogen.

Also hope your accumulator seals are ok.

Yup, that's the one's I've been looking at! Have you tried the fitting on the accumulator valve? Bit worried about my seals, I can't imagine they are great. I believe they are a common part with the Routemaster? No doubt expensive and difficult to get hold of :cry:

I read that you can use welding gas, inert and dry, but not sure if there is any science behind using the nitrogen. I have a BOC account and might also look into the "outright purchase" bottles with no rental costs..

Hi guys,

I have been charging accumulators for years on Saracens and the like, even Routemasters. If you need a charging head, a normal Oxygen one from a welding kit will work, but do not use oxygen! Originally the army used dry charged compressed air, but nitrogen is easier to obtain, try HSS tool hire shops, you can hire a BOC cylinder for a day at a reasonable charge, better than paying rental if you go direct to BOC. The hose and connection to the accumulater Schraeder valve might need a bit of inginuity if you cannot find the correct one. As for checking the pressure, a hand held guage capable of at least 600psi is required.

regards, Richard

Thanks for the reply Richard, do you have any experience rebuilding these, or obtaining seals/parts for them? Cheers, Duncan

Hi Duncan,

The last time I had one apart to reseal was about 20 years ago, while working for the army. I beleive the seals are not easy to find now, they are rubber and leather rings fitted alternatively, unless you have an early one which has a bladder inside. I knew a Saracen owner who was a marine engineer, he sent his away to a hydraulic company and they modified the piston to fit lip seals, which should be more reliable.

regards, Richard

Duncan, check page 7, about half way down, shows my accumulators in bits. I had some new seals made, and I think I should still have some put away somewhere.

Recent progress has been a bit of painting on the cab panels, in a small window of sunshine, it rained about an hour after I got them painted.

SNV84910.jpg

Panels prepped and ready.

SNV84918.jpg

And painted, slightly blotchy with the rain, but should rub down ok. Not got all the rivet holes drilled yet on the large panel, they'll be done when I start to refit it to the vehicle.

SNV84908.jpg

SNV84913.jpg

• 1 month later...

You got me thinking about these lights and trafficators, I found this picture showing a martian with them still fitted. I also have a picture of one in service with the trafficators and no indicators... They also seem to have two reflectors per side above the centre of the wheel arches?

324SX.jpg

You got me thinking about these lights and trafficators, I found this picture showing a martian with them still fitted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72317[/ATTACH]

What on earth is that, it looks like a Sentinel steam boiler under the radiator??:shocked:

Edit. Thought it was some sort of prototype but looking closer it belongs to Russell of Bathgate so I assume it is a recovery.

Edited by radiomike7

• 1 month later...

Progress is currently slow due to blooming wet & cold weather, but I have been beavering away in my shed doing the odd little bits, and on the very odd occassion we have had a bit of sunshine, a very small amount of painting, though only undercoat. One job I have redone because I wasn't overly pleased with the original finished result is the junction box to switchboard cable, first time I covered it with heatshrink tubing, but that seemed to spoil the look, so have stripped it completely and finished it off with braiding, now looks a proper job!

1.jpg

Original finish.

2.jpg

Repairing again.

3.jpg

Sliding the braiding over.

4.jpg

The finished look, much better!

The only other things I have been up to is remaking the rifle butt block securing surrounds, and finishing off cleaning up and undercoating the removable floor panels.

5.jpg

The original surrounds looking a bit shabby.

6.jpg

The new ones made up and sanded smooth, ready for undercoat.

Simon

• 5 weeks later...

Finally had a few days of sunshine, suppose thats now summer over! Spent some time outside doing bits and bobs. Got a few items sorted out and sent off for shot blasting, battery boxes being the main items as they are very rusty, do have spares

2.jpg

3.jpg

Also managed to save the brass plates off of the lids, and clean them up, oddly, for the same plate the wording is different.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Also on the blasting list are spare front brake cylinders, unfortunately when these were taken off the donor vehicle, the mounting flanges broke, due to the electrlytic action of steel and aluminium, so will need to repair these afterwards.

6.jpg

7.jpg

The old brake hoses were also stripped, and the springs were put into the blasting box, and the other bits were clean up in the shed, the swivelling nut was also freed off, as was totally seized, which makes removal of the pipe blooming awkward.

8.jpg

9.jpg

These hoses were original parts, even down to the Westinghouse logo, the pink piece on the hose, not seen that before, but then not honestly looked at them too closely on my truck.

Have also aquired more palm couplings, and have got these stripped and sent off for blasting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75074[/ATTACH]

Last job I have been on with is refurbishing another coil, handy to have a spare, so got stripped and started painting.

10.jpg

1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now we've had a few days decent weather, I've managed to get a few more things done. The coil is now reassembled, and I have nearly finished repainting a spare junction box.

SNV85485.jpg

SNV85409.jpg

Also found a brand new cover for this too. Got it painted, and then had a visit from a suicidal fly!

SNV85560.jpg

SNV85564.jpg

Got the battery boxes and lids back from blaster with a bit less metal on them, which I have started to work on.

SNV85524.jpg

SNV85541.jpg

SNV85528.jpg

The blasting did uncover the Fv number on the side of the box.

Started on the rusty lid by cutting out a decent chunk, and taking it to good metal.

SNV85570.jpg

I did weld it a bit at a time, to try and avoid excessive heat, but still managed to warp the lid a little bit. But when I eventually got it to fit on the battery box, I can't believe just how blooming hard they are to get on,lots of silicone spray needed, jumping on it, plastic hammer, it didn't look to bad.

SNV85580.jpg

A good sanding, a small amount of filler, a quick spray over of primer and all looks good.

I have finally found a decent kigas tank, I have been on the lookout for one of these for ages, as my original one is past it. So another item crossed off my shopping list.

SNV85555.jpg

Cleaned up it does look in very good nick.

SNV85581.jpg

Thanks to a bit of sun today, also managed to get a few small items painted.

SNV85566.jpg

Lots of bits on the go here, another horn unit, door handles, lamp and switch brackets, pipe clamps and other sundry bits.

SNV85563.jpg

SNV85523.jpg

SNV85533.jpg

SNV85538.jpg

SNV85576.jpg

SNV85578.jpg

SNV85565.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Always impressed by your progress, she's going to be the best example of this rare breed! Not had any time for mine lately, but she's tucked up inside in the dry so not feeling too guilty :-D