Awesome RB44 at Withams

LoggyDriver

I think this one is just as nice and only half the price

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,52,/17647/Reynolds_Boughton.htm

Phil

That picture has been on their site for ages. This ad is new and I've not seen one of these RB44's before. The hard top versions they already have for sale are radio type vehicles. I've not seen this configuration before and it looks like it was destined for the Iraq or Afghan theater. It's certainly the best I've seen going off the pictures.

Turns out we might be getting a new trials van after all! :cool2: It'd be a hell of a lot better than the £80k we were quoted for a converted Merc Sprinter. Now I just need to convince the top brass...

I know the RB44s had a terrible in-service reputation, but how are they when treated gently? Need a lot of fettling?

Stone

Nowt, we just needed somewhere to sit and fix stuff/have tea breaks/play on the Xbox while we're on trials. It needed to be 4x4 and have desks with sockets and an aircon so that would be perfect!

The Beddycopter's not going anywhere :D

Stone

Hi Stone

Buy it if you can, i have owned a RB44 for 18 months i know everyone has a different view on the Boughton and its Alleged faults etc, having spoken to the Manufacturer and those that used them all have a different view on it's faults and Capabilities. The braking and pulling to left or right under brake load all appear to have been sorted by the in service mods, i can only speak from using the vehicle and have found the following, It goes like stink if you are so Inclined it will go off the speedo it will drive up the side of a house, it stops in a dead Straight line breaking is excellent, fuel economy is great better than some landies i have owned i thought at least 20+mpg but another Boughton owner has worked out that if he keeps below 60mph a steady 50mph returns over 30mpg this i cannot confirm but mine seems brill on fuel, it never fails to start Perkins T4 great engine it has a speed limiter fitted so you cannot thrash the gears but you can pull wheelies in first when pulling away if you like:-D.

As for working on it the whole front including bonnet can be taken off easy access to rad etc. I have in just over an hour had all the front seat's out engine cover and side wall's and cab floor out this means you have all round access to gear box/transfer box and most of the engine.

Parts for the engine are Commercially available and other parts are becoming much easier to find now.

My own personal view is its a great 4x4 much more fun than a landrover and great cross country(i live on the southdowns) Permanent 4 wheel drive diff locks and hi/lo range its a very cheap unimog.

Anyway thats my waffle over i hope this helps.

Ian

Ian,

delightfully frank post, exactly what this forum is all about, please consider yourself the resident RB44 expert!

Its good to hear from someone who actually operates one and has been "living the dream" rather than hearsay.

Please post pics of your machine and your travels

R

The RB gets better the more I drive it haven't a clue what the mpg is, it starts first time and runs great. Haven't had any wheelies out of it but it does go... brilliant piece of kit. Brakes had to stomp hard on them this past weekend when a clown pulled out on me, it braked in a straight line so I agree thats sorted.

Hopefully we'll be up next week to have a peek :drive: :clap:

The box bodies are removable NATO-standard ones (not sure if it's a flatbed underneath, or just a chassis) so hopefully we can mix and match. Not sure how many they have, and their descriptions are clear as mud as usual so probably best to just go and see!

Stone

My mate wants to go and look at the Desert coloured RB44, he might be interested. Is this the one your going to have a look at Stone?

Yep, started filling in the budget requisition today. Hope he doesn't pip us to it! Do share the pics if you take any...

Stone