• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't forget we would need to relocate the spare wheel and get some fake barbed wire and then I think we will have cracked it.:cool2:

Mike

Oi - knock it off you two!

Get some herring bone twill overalls and jump on the convoy!

Quite! Running on just the ends of the track block skeleton will do more 'damage' to the roads than a Valentine. It will also destroy the track itself eventually and as they can be re-rubbered, it's worth saving them.

Adrian - that is an interesting point. Is that because of the ground pressure is spread across the whole of the metal tracks?

Adrian - that is an interesting point. Is that because of the ground pressure is spread across the whole of the metal tracks?

Jack, basically, yes! The US track, when the rubber is completely worn off it, sits on the four corners as these are the thickest part of the steel skeleton. It was this contact that left the little 'footprints' through Dorchester!

It didn't damage the road as such, a Stuart is not really heavy enough.

There is a maximum ground pressure for tracked vehicles on the road in the UK, a Sherman M4A4 on steel chevron is just outside the limit, rubber track is, of course, well inside.

Jack, basically, yes! The US track, when the rubber is completely worn off it, sits on the four corners as these are the thickest part of the steel skeleton. It was this contact that left the little 'footprints' through Dorchester!

It didn't damage the road as such, a Stuart is not really heavy enough.

There is a maximum ground pressure for tracked vehicles on the road in the UK, a Sherman M4A4 on steel chevron is just outside the limit, rubber track is, of course, well inside.

Many thanks Adrian - I will have to give you a buzz and pick your brains as I know a lot of tanks are on steels.

well those who dont have a ww2 vehicle for this event i will need a full team of 8 for the cookhouse

you will have to do long hours, no pay and being moaned at quite a bit.

and not be afraid of washing up

plus they must have own transport and be willing to do at least 1 shopping run where the locals look at you strange as you have 3 trollies running in a line at the checkouts

1 or more days of your duties you will be allowed out on a convoy as can arrange a seat on vehicles but only if you are good

for those intersted please contact the local lunatic asylum first

then send me a message

dave

cook for a&e

well those who dont have a ww2 vehicle for this event i will need a full team of 8 for the cookhouse

you will have to do long hours, no pay and being moaned at quite a bit.

and not be afraid of washing up

plus they must have own transport and be willing to do at least 1 shopping run where the locals look at you strange as you have 3 trollies running in a line at the checkouts

1 or more days of your duties you will be allowed out on a convoy as can arrange a seat on vehicles but only if you are good

for those intersted please contact the local lunatic asylum first

then send me a message

dave

cook for a&e

Dave - due to global cut backs, I am afraid I have had to take the action of scrapping the generous pension scheme for A&E 2012 staff. Sorry about that.

Jack.

Here is a film of the original 1943 joint British/US A&E

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=52229

Nice bit of archive there with British armour in training. The odd thing there was a road sign still up, when I understood they were removed at the start of the war. It looks very much like A345, which is the Salisbury to Marlborough road. Perhaps our Allies were getting lost, without signs :-)

Nice bit of archive there with British armour in training. The odd thing there was a road sign still up, when I understood they were removed at the start of the war. It looks very much like A345, which is the Salisbury to Marlborough road. Perhaps our Allies were getting lost, without signs :-)

Well spotted Richard!

The shot showing the British cruiser type tank (don't get bowled over by my British Armored Vehicle Knowledge now) pulling away from a junction and turning to head up the hill towards the cameraman is definitely Marlborough in Wiltshire. It is where George Lane (that runs parallel with the main High Street but due south) joins the Pewsey Road at the Marlborough College end of town. If you look closely you can see not only the white ornate structure of the river bridge over the River Kennet, but more importantly the Pill Box, which is still there today!

I lived 1/4 mile from this location for the first 27 years of my life and used to play in that pill box as kids and go swimming from the river bridge and the weir below. If Richard hadn't mentioned the Marlborough - Salisbury Road in his reply, I doubt I would have been eagle-eyed enough to recognise the exact location.

But what a selection of MV's in that film - Could almost be an MVT Tour where anything goes!!

Well spotted Richard!

But what a selection of MV's in that film - Could almost be an MVT Tour where anything goes!!

Thanks Clive,

I watched it several times, as my interest was in the Daimler and Humber armoured vehicles, but seeing the road sign, I thought someone with local knowledge might pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - we have the floor running - just in from Phil who is from a PR company:

OK Jack - Call me a fast worker if you like but I have a yes from the editor of the Echo (Toby) to be your media partner for 2012 and TPM with maximum help in exposure. He loves the idea and is talking about facimile newspapers, stories about the army in Dorch/Dorset around the time.

And...

Add to the Echo support, another one. I had a meeting at Wessex FM today who were well impressed with your efforts this year and have offered full support on the Radio front (I am sure they would have anyway) but at least they have commited to support and coverage if you go for it. I might sound out Beeb and ITV to see if anyone wants to do a 'fly on the fall' Doc covering the build up and event itself if you are prepaired to bare your soul? Great publicity opportunity for your project. Let me know if I have your permission?