Welbike replica

Scammell4199

Last night i purchased the starting point for my replica Welbike project - a Villiers Junior De-Lux engine - cheers Jason.

Now i want to start compiling a list of the bits that are available to buy and those i'm going to make myself.

I want to make as much as i can myself, and purchase price of new bits is also going to be a factor.

I think most of it won't be too much of a problem, except the wheels in particular the rims. Has anyone here tried this before. I know a group in Holland did but i don't know how to get hold of them.

Has anyone got a Welbike in bits at present I could come and take photos and dims from?

Cheers, Richard

Yeah its a heavy ol lump, damn sure i wouldn't want to have to use it all day.

I got a better idea Adrian, if i mount it transversly across the front of the Welbike i can sort out the cats that keep crapping on my drive!

Its a project i've been thinking about for quite a while but now that Jack has anounced A&E 2012 i'm going to have to devote all my energies to getting the Scammell done. Most people would probably think 2 years is more than enough, but for anyone who has been following my restoration blog you'll know i don't do things fast. Mixture of having a precise approach to everything and living in Bristol during the week and going back home to work on the vehicles at weekends makes for very slow progress.

Hi , I built a replica from scratch except the motor and rims , the rims I used were of an old 50 or 60s kids bike, I machined up the hubs and used a honda 50cc brake drum and internals , the downside of using these rims is the 12G spoke nipple was a bit big for the dimple in the rim, I tryed to find these dutch guys with no luck , there was a guy on EBay uk making repo parts at great cost and he said he was going to make rims but he never got back to me . It is good fun to ride around at air shows and re-enacting weekends here in New Zealand , If any one is interested I will put a photo up.

Regards Ian Staples

hi Richard I think the person you need to speak to is the husband of the mmembership secretary of the North London MVT(Pam Church) ,thats her not him,I cant remember his name but he has rebuilt a good number of welbikes and manufactured lots of parts, he was very informative when I was thinking of building one several years ago and offered to look at one I was offered

Nigel

find anything interesting in Normandy?

Been looking on eBay, theres a guy who goes by the name of ww2quartermaster who does some very nice looking bits like the fuel pump, brake pedal, clutch lever etc, not cheap tho. I'd like to make machined bits like fuel pump myself if i can get hold of one i can take apart, but cast bits like clutch pedal i wouldn't mind buying.

Richard

Hello Richard,

I may have some bits and bobs for Welbikes, also replica pumps, exact copy of the originals, but also pricey, they're a lot of work to make!

Anyway, the guy on ebay, is not gonna make much more stuff, as there's no market for it, so if you want something of him, I wouldn't wait too long. (it's NOT me!)

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Holland

Hi guys ,

Richard, sorry I dont have any drawings , Like I said before I was not out to make am exact replica but when I looked at the real one I thought the pump looked the same as a blow tourch and I figured they would have used what was available at the time so that is what I used and it works fine although when I first got it running it would not run very well and I thought it was a fuel pressure problem either to much or not enough as I made the 2psi relief valve and I wasn't sure it was working that well , any way I blocked off the balance pipe between the tanks and I run it on gravity from the RH tank only ( the problem was the timeing not fuel ) I still run it like this but can only use about the top 60mm of the tank , As far as the ebay guy I thought his work was very good but at the prices he was asking only someone with a real one would pay the prices and the replica guys would make them themselves after all isn't thats why we do it. although I would like a set of rims if I could find them

Regards Ian

Hi guys

One thing I would like to know is the lengths of the clutch push rod ,I believe there are 2 short rods with a ball bearing in the middle , Mine was missing and I made a solid one peice rod and it's no good ,I then found it was suposed to be 2 piece and a ball , so the question is 1, the lengths of the rods ?? 2. the shape of the ends ?? 3. diameter of the ball ??.4. if the rods are different lenths which one goes it first ??

Regards Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

I would recommend you try contacting fellow former 39/45 MVG member Jon Wright, he has built at least 3-4 of these over the years including making some of the castings that are required, Jon is a fantastic engineer who really who's his stuff, other project include a replica early Canadian pattern Willys jeep, a scratch built airborne trailer and more working WWII wireless sets than you can shake a stick at.

The best place to try is:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk

He calls himself replicaright :-D

All the best Nige H

• 9 months later...