HMS Van Dyke

Mk3iain

On 9/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, Mk3iain said:

I have looked further into the circumstances of the sinking and official accounts say that the ship was lost after missing a rendezvous and subsequently found by the German forces and bombed. A bit convenient.

My dad and his brother were firm in their recollection that it was used as a diversion (they were there) and I have asked a retired senior naval officer if he felt the RN would avoid admitting this. "Absolutely".  I think so too.

Maybe we will find out some day if it is recorded anywhere but I wont hold my breath.

With regard to your thoughts above - if you look here https://www.naval-history.net/xDKWD-HF1940AA.htm under Sunday 9th June 1940, you'll find a transcription of the Admiralty War Diaries (Rear Admiral, Anti-Aircraft Ships) pertaining to the Vandyck.  It states that two destroyers, HMS Firedrake and HMS Delight were despatched at 03.10 to search for the Vandyke after she missed the rendezvous.  At 04.31 an air search was ordered.  A message was received from the Vandyck at 08.10 stating 'am at rendezvous X', at which point, HMS Delight is instructed to 'order Vandyck to steer 270 degrees' (the same bearing the troop ship convoy steers later that day) and subsequently to 'bring Vandyck on' and to inform the C in C Rosyth of her expected time of arrival in position.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:35 AM, mikecsteer said:

Only just seen this, been busily on tour, then Christmas and then moved house, That is quite amazing, thank you for posting

• 11 months later...

I have just discovered this thread. My grandfather George Thorpe was chief steward on the HMS Vandyck.I have his account of the bombing and his subsequent internment written in pencil at the time in a very small leather journal.As well as his account it also contains addresses of several men onboard and their wives.It is very interesting as to his take on what happened in the original bombing,and includes dramatic scenes of the struggle at sea to Bleik.If it is of interest to anyone I would be happy to write most of it out verbatim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Pauline Beecroft said:

I have just discovered this thread. My grandfather George Thorpe was chief steward on the HMS Vandyck.I have his account of the bombing and his subsequent internment written in pencil at the time in a very small leather journal.As well as his account it also contains addresses of several men onboard and their wives.It is very interesting as to his take on what happened in the original bombing,and includes dramatic scenes of the struggle at sea to Bleik.If it is of interest to anyone I would be happy to write most of it out verbatim.

Hi Pauline - many thanks for posting this.  I, for one, would be incredibly grateful if you could transcribe and post your grandfather’s journal.  As you’re probably aware from this forum, I and several others have a vested interest in this subject - my father was a RN Sick Berth Attendant on the Vandyck, and I was due to visit Bleik for the eightieth anniversary last summer until the virus intervened.  I don’t know if you’re aware, but some of the Norwegian fishermen from Bleik salvaged the Vandyck’s bell, and it can still be seen today mounted on the side of the village’s church meeting house (you can even see it on Google street view).

• 6 months later...

This is a remarkable thread.

My father’s cousin was Thomas Denis O’Shaughnessy and served as an Able Bodied Seaman on HMS Vandyke. He was captured as a POW and remained so all the way through to 22 Mar 1945. He essentially spent his early 20s all as a prisoner.  I do not have a great deal of other information, I know he escaped 3 times, each time being recaptured. Once he escaped and with a Polish airman stole a plane, only to crash it on take off. 

After the war he never married and died 58 years of age. I think he had quite a sad life from what I gather. I expect this experience very much impacted him. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In June 2020 I applied on behalf of Commander Jack Croasdaile's daughter for the award of the Arctic Star.  Anyone who served north of 66° 32’ North latitude is eligible. Bleik, where the survivors made landfall, is 69° North, so all Vandyck crew qualify.  Today his daughter received his medal..  In case anyone else is inclined to apply, you will need to be persistent and jump through the MoD bureaucracy hoops.

Arctic_Star.jpg

• Like 2

I applied for the Arctic Star on behalf of my father a couple of years ago.  The form was quite simple to complete, but it did take about eight months to arrive.  I'd actually forgotten about it when it turned up in the post, and it was quite emotional to receive it - I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

Incidentally, I was planning a trip to Bleik and Andenes last summer, to coincide with the eightieth anniversary, but of course, Covid put paid to that.  I wrote to the local newspaper and received a lovely reply from one of the journalists who knew about the Vandyck, and wanted to do a story about my visit.  I have kept in touch, and still plan to visit when I can, and I will, of course, keep this forum updated with anything of interest that arises.  

837685810_DadsArcticStar.thumb.jpg.2409e596706094765e35946b0dcdb020.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fantastically useful thread. Thank you internet and thank you fellow posters!

I have married into a family scarred by the loss of the Van Dyck. My mother in law (only recently deceased) was born Mary Conolly, daughter of Leiutenant Thomas Conolly of the Van Dyke. He survived the bombing and sinking of the ship, but during a POW transfer (perhaps during passage to Oslo dep 21/6) he jumped ship, in an effort to escape. He is thought to have drowned on the 22nd June. But for the Telegram from the King the family no longer have any first hand sources relating to his loss. So I would be particularly interested if any of the notes left by survivors mentioned Tom (and especially the circumstances that surrounded his loss)

Tom was survived by his wife Gwen who raised her four children without ever speaking of him or his diappearance, strictly adhering to the War Ministry's request to refrain from talking about bad news. His youngest daughter Elizabeth was subsequently born in October of 1940.  Was it a desire to be with his young family that drove him to try to escape?    

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Conolly-304

Edited by PaulUnwin1969
spelling
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PaulUnwin1969 said:

. . .  and all this has got my wife and I thinking, that we would like to go to Bleik so that she: the eldest of her generation can ring that bell. I wonder about targeting 10th June 2025. That'll be 85 years. Anyone else fancy it? It'll be a tear jerker. 

That would be quite something !

For all the years I worked for Norwegian companies and others in Norwegian waters I dont think I have been close to the area. It would be so good to take an rov down and inspect and record the wreck if it is possible.  In the future, who knows.

Edited by Mk3iain
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2010 at 4:42 PM, Mk3iain said:

Hi

I hope this is the right place for this question.

My father was in the navy during WW2 and was sunk in HMS Van Dyke off Norway. His recollection was that the ship was crewed by volunteers and used as a decoy when the RN evacuated Norway. I have not seen any mention of this anywhere, does anyone have any information on the sinking of the Van Dyke and what it was doing there?

Many thanks

Hello. I read this thread with big interest. I work in the museum og Andøy and now I am writing the story of Van Dyke. I do miss some peaces that I would need. I need to know what happened when they came ashore and how they became prisionors. I would be glad for all information and pictures or drawings from the time here if I can use it to share the information here about what happened those days. Thank you. For contact:  https://www.facebook.com/AndenesLighthouse

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 10:12 PM, Jitse Buitink said:

Hello. I read this thread with big interest. I work in the museum og Andøy and now I am writing the story of Van Dyke. I do miss some peaces that I would need. I need to know what happened when they came ashore and how they became prisionors. I would be glad for all information and pictures or drawings from the time here if I can use it to share the information here about what happened those days. Thank you. For contact:  https://www.facebook.com/AndenesLighthouse

Hi Jitse, Thank you for posting I have only just become aware. It is wonderful news that you are researching this.

I am not on Facebook but you can PM me on here and I'll pass on my email etc.  Hopefully others will be in touch also.

As for when they came ashore all my father said was that they were looked after by the locals for quite a while until the Germans came looking for them. I get the impression that the locals did not want to voluntarily give up the survivors but were persuaded by the survivors not to oppose the Germans and suffer for it.  He had a great affection for them.

The official account is that the Vessel missed a rendezvous and was attacked and sunk. Maybe.  My father and his brother were adamant that the vessel was deliberately used as a decoy. I spoke to both and they were there and should know, my father spent the next 5 years as a pow with the other RN crew and if there was any doubt surely he would be aware. We may never know for sure.

Iain