Civilian Mk1 Militant

aargh! Only kidding, looks very, very good :)

What colour is the rest going to be? You'll have to put your slippers on now, so as not to scratch it getting in and out.

I know it's going back a few steps.. how did you fasten the panels on? I pop riveted them on mine, and would like to re-do them at some stage with something a bit more appropriate.

Edited by Simon Daymond
spellingg

Been out and about again today, managed to get a bay in the workshop where my son works (Many thanks to the man in charge). Great to have the use of a set of lifting legs instead of grovelling in the stinging nettles.

Good service done, engine oil changed, oil filters fitted, full grease up, etc. Got a decent view of the underside for the first time, could see where I had missed with the steam cleaner the other week :D

340A Servicing.jpg

Gave the rear suspension a bit of a work out as well

Last job was a run on the brake rollers. Brakes feel pretty good when driving round, but you can't beat a proper roller test for boosting your confidence. The technical boffins amonst us will spot the near side efficency is a bit down giving a small inbalance which could do with looking at. But overall very good (especially for a Militant) with all wheels locking. Would certainly pass an MOT if it needed one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57892[/ATTACH]

Stopped off at the local burger van on the way back and drew a fair sized crowd. I was well impressed, all these people asking questions and saying how good it looked. Boosted the ego no end. Wasn't showing off much.

Got a few days off work next week so hopefully I will finish cleaning and painting the wheels and the rest of the chassis. Then it's on with the crane construction, so long as the weather stays reasonable. Will let you know

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace Photos

Currently enjoying a week off work, so plenty of truck time. Fortunately the weather is pretty good so had the wheels off (again) and out with the spray gun. Another gallon of paint has gone on, quite literally.

Is it me being over generous with the coats or does it always take this much?? I've used 10lts of black recently, just painting the underside and the crane frame, dread to think how much went on the cab, what with etch primer, filler primer, sealer and top coat. Anyway, does look good I think, well pleased with the way it is turning out.

341 Chassis Paint O-S.jpg

342 Chassis Paint Rear.jpg

344 Chassis Paint N-S.jpg

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace Photos

chassis do take loads of paint, how much did you thin it, and how high was the pressure? If you aren't really methodical on a chassis, you can end up repainting the same parts over and over - using loads of paint.

I know what you mean, about repainting the same bits. I've noticed a couple of areas where it is a bit thin, and others where there is probably a bit too much coverage. As for pressure etc, I try to keep it down as low as I can to avoid too much over spray.

The paint I'm using is called Dacrylate, goes on alright and gives a good hard finish, but you can only thin it about 10% otherwise it comes out see through. It's not too bad £25 a gallon

Dacrylate, yes I used that on the 5.5, have you tried 'hot spraying" it?

We use this if the paint doesn't have a lot of body, but is too thick to spray. We use an old tea urn. We half fill the urn, put it on to boil, when it's boiled we turn it off then immerse the open tin of paint and stir it until it becomes thin, trick is not to have to much water in the urn otherwise it gets in the tin!

We then spray using a tiny amount of thinner in each mix, which seems to stop the paint drying on the tip. You could use a bucket filled by a couple of kettles, you will see that the paint really does go thin, almost like water, and because it is warm, it goes off quicker when you paint it.

• 2 months later...

Finally there has been some justification for the hose pipe ban, the sun came out this weekend and it hasn't rained :-D. Actually got some more truck work done, without getting soaked.

Current project has been more storage space. Having attended my first show the other week it became very apparent that there isn't enough room in the cab for all the clutter you want to take with you. Needed somewhere to put the picnic basket, deck chairs, bar-b-que, beers etc. Bit of space for trivial things like breakdown kit and so on would be good.

Had the idea a while back to use the remains of the previously removed ballast box as a basis for a substantial bin to fit in the gap between the crane bed and the spare wheel carrier (when I get one).

So I built the thing in the shed over the last few weeks and I've just been waiting ever since, for a break in the rain to get it fitted.

I'll let the photos tell the story.

34 Bed Removal Heavy Lift.jpg

Removing the old frame was one of the first jobs, back in 2007. Seems a very long time ago now

36 Old ballast box frame.jpg

It got dumped out of the way and forgotten about for 5 years

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61694[/ATTACH]

Recycling!! Amazing what you can do with a bit of effort and a 9" grinder

346 Tool Bin Base.jpg

Base plate fitted

347 Tool Bin Frame.jpg

Test measurements on the patio

349 Tool Bin Frame.jpg

And into the shed for welding up and painting

350 Tool Bin.jpg

Panels are new, mainly paid for by a scrap run with all the not required bits

350A Tool Bin.jpg

Delivery by trusty Toyota. Couldn't do this sort of thing without the old pick up

351 Tool Bin Fittiing.jpg

Final positioning and drilling for mounting bolts.

Just a side issue here. You will see I have used the rope to take the weight of the frame by twisting it round to shorten it. I was taught this technique as part of basic training with the RE, it's called windlassing. I thought it was quite normal. But when I did a similar thing at work the other day it was regarded as a brilliant idea and something of a novelty! Anybody else use this sort of trick?

351B Tool Bin Fitting.jpg

354 Tool Bin Fitting.jpg

Panels fitted and ready to paint

357 Tool Bin Fitting.jpg

Couple of coats of zinc oxide

360 Tool Bin Fitting.jpg

And the shiney top coat to finish

361 Tool Bin Fitting.jpg

Underside needs finishing in chassis black, but job done. 40 cubic foot of reasonably secure waterproof storage. Hopefully I have left enough room for the spare wheel carrier.

Have to admit I did not get round to painting the underside until early 2014

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace photos

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend, 400 miles no problem. This weekend 2 miles down the road and disappear into a cloud of steam as a coolant hose bursts, and then it gets worse. Unbelievable!!

How did it happen?? Well there has been good and bad. Last weekend saw the centenary anniversary of the AEC company with a huge show and rally at Newark, Nottinghamshire. The main aim of my Militant restoration over the last couple of years was to make it to this show.

Finished or not, so long as it was on the road we were going. Been planning for it for ages, and even been stashing cans of diesel away behind the shed at home so there was no panic about filling the tank (220lts) at the time.

Everything began to come together earlier this year, with the cab painting finished, all the electrics working, the first run out, Trial show down the road at Detling in March, making the storage bin and so on.

Last couple of weeks have been very busy with last checks and tweeks. All looking good with only one minor issue, the speedo packed in at the last minute. A close inspection revealed a seized mileometer resulting in a collection of chewed up gears and broken bits.

Problem was easily solved with a begging letter on the forum. Many thanks to MarvintheMartian who had a spare one in his shed. In the post overnight, and fitted the day before the show.

That was last Friday, and the rest of the day was spent with the Militant outside my house getting a last wash and polish and loading up with kit. Tent, Bar-B-Que, spares etc, and filling the tank with the stashed diesel. Fuel gauge liked that, it went to places it had never been before.

361 Polish at Home.jpg

Entertaining the neighbours

364 Polish at Home.jpg

Leapt out of bed in the dark on Saturday morning, and after a couple of minor delays finally got on the road at 0500hrs. Big grins all round, but very nervous at the thought of 160 miles in one trip, when we have only covered 148 miles in total previously.

Still, I got signed up with Autohome recovery, so if the worst happened at least they would tow me home.

The journey from Sittingbourne to Newark works out almost perfectly with 2 evenly spaced breaks. One at Stansted services on the M11, and the other at Peterborough on the A1. About 60 miles/2 hours each leg

Steady progress at 32/33mph. She will go faster, but there was no way I was going to cane the old lady that hard with all that distance to go. Anyway I was far too busy keeping an eye on the temperature, oil pressure and everything else.

Nothing to worry about though, no major vibrations, temperature rock steady at 190°F, speedo working and quite accurate when checked against the satnav. Not too hot in the cab, but ear defenders are essential. Communication with passenger is difficult, but that is one of the pleasures of Militant travel.

2 hours later we rolled into the services at Stansted. 62 miles done, no leaks nothing dropped off, so quick leg stretch and refreshment in the café and then onto Peterborough.

Seven o’clock now so traffic building up. Various other show entrants going past us on the way. Well, actually at only 32 mph everybody goes past us, we are in a Militant remember.

1 Breakfast at Peterboro.jpg

I think there's something not right about taking your truck to a show on a low loader

There was one notable exception, forum member Rob Watson, his Militant is off the road just now, so he was attending the show with his 1966 Merryweather Fire Engine. Nice motor, but it can only just beat the Militant for speed. Not exactly a quick response vehicle. He did get past us, eventually, but mainly because we stopped at Peterborough for breakfast.

Merryweather Turntables.jpg

Robs is the one with the bucket on the front, he is doing a charity thing at the moment for lukemia research

Phil posing.jpg

Son Philip trying to look cool at Peterborough

Rolled into the showground just before 1100hrs, legs stiff, arms aching and fingers tingling from the vibration, chuffed to bits we had made it. Militant still rumbling on sweet as, like it had come from just around the corner, not 160 odd miles away.

We got there just in time to join everyone else on a 60 mile road run. Wasn’t exactly what I needed after 6 hours in the jockey seat, but it was not to be missed. Huge convoy of trucks trundling around the Lincolnshire countryside.

Road run cafe stop.jpg

Parked next to Royal Navy tanker at the halfway stop on the roadrun

Got to admit I was absolutely knackered on the way back in, with the quality of driving going downhill fast, gear changes missed and kerbs clipped. Was glad to finally get parked up.

It was said there was over 500 motors on site. Good turn out of Matadors and 4 Militants. You can just see us down the far end

Matador & Militant Lineup.jpg

well 3½ Militants counting Mike Gilberts sawn off version. Interesting beast that is. Took loads of photos some of which are now posted in their respective galleries.

Militant Short Arse 2.jpg

I could get right into this show scene lark, what with the Bar-B-Que, few beers on Saturday night and talking truck to allsorts of like minded people. Damned good weekend.

Milicent by Streelight 2.jpg

Trying a bit of atmospheric photography by streetlight

After all that, the journey home was a bit of an anti climax, another 6 hours at 32mph and the prospect of back to work on Monday. Biggest point of interest was the ever decreasing fuel level.

Going by the tank gauge and the swingometer on the dashboard, we used less than half a tank getting to Newark, easily 10+ to the gallon. The road run through the villages used loads, more than a quarter of a tank for 60 miles, less than 7 to the gallon. So it was dodgy that we would get back without having to refuel.

Got down past the Dartford Tunnel, 20 miles to go, dash gauge shows just off empty. Do I believe it or do I stop and put some in? There is a stretch of the M2 we have to pass, known locally as the Medway drag. A steep 3 mile climb up from the River Medway to the top of Bluebell hill, any remaining diesel will run to the back of the tank.

Really didn’t fancy running out and having to go through bleeding the fuel system etc. Didn’t want to stop either, so we went for it, made it through to the services at Gillingham, dash gauge now shows empty. Dipped the tank to find just about enough diesel left to wet the bottom of the stick, but she is still running

Pleased the gauge is quite accurate, when it stops dancing around. Bunged 20ltrs in to be safe and got home with no drama.

401 miles in total on 45 gallons not a bad return, no breakdowns, no panic, great weekend. Checked the truck over during the week, front wheel hubs have leaked a little bit of grease out of the hub flanges, but otherwise no problems at all.

This Sunday saw us booked in at the Sellinge Steam and Country Festival, a local show, only 20 miles away. Just round the corner compared to Newark.

Got up late, decent breakfast and down the farm to collect the truck.

Quick first parade check, oil and water etc and on the way. 2 miles down the road and the whole cab fills up like some Turkish steam room. Pull over into layby and check engine to find a split in one of the water pump hoses. Hot coolant and more steam everywhere.

Couldn’t believe the luck after all those miles last week without a hitch. Not a good start to the day. However, we are tooled up for events like this, was just a case of finding the right hose and tools in the depths of the storage bin. New bit of hose on, refill coolant and back up and running within 20 minutes.

Only one problem, nothing to wash our hands with!!

371 Refill Coolant on way to sellinge.jpg

Son Stuart refilling coolant in the rain

371 U-S Coolent Hose.jpg

Knackered Coolant Hose

Repositioned the passengers seat during the week, after complaints from son Philip last weekend. Other son Stuart is driving this time so I get to test the new position, only to find the engine cover catch now digs into your right leg. Lovely!!

By now it is raining, the inside of the cab is still running with condensation which didn’t help the mood, but on the plus side the wipers are good and the windscreen demister works quite well. Arrived late at show and had to sneak in at the back.

372 sellinge 2012.jpg

There was quite a large turnout of military, couple of Scammells, an Austin Champ, a K9, another Militant and several land rovers (as usual, photos in the galleries). Would have had more pictures, but the camera packed in halfway through. Really getting the hump now, and it is still raining.

My apologies to anyone from the forum who was there and I ignored you, but by mid afternoon I’d had a gutful, I'm cold, wet, boots are soaked, camera knackered, truck brokedown, bad day! Who's daft idea was it to get a truck in the first place?? so we packed up and went home early.

About the only decent thing from the whole day was I did meet a bloke who has a mate with another Militant that may be for sale, left him my phone number. I know I'm mad, I’ll let you know!!

Editing this post in August 2014 to replace the photos I still haven't heard from him, he was going to ring me once he had spoke to his mate. Funny that!

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace Photos

after all those pictures, I've only just noticed the vice on the bumper, what's that for ? - a cup holder?

BTW you think you got it bad, my fuel system is still knackered, thought I'd cracked it as well :(

Sorry to hear you've still got problems, not sure what to suggest apart from stripping the whole system. Do you think some of that gunge may have got into the injection pump? you did throw the filter out!

Fuel gauge advice here

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?23502-Militant-Fuel-Gauge-Sender-Unit&highlight=fuel+gauge+wiring

As for the vice on the bumper, they are original and quite popular, see this one

VFO 495 (1).jpg

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace photos

re gunge: I think it's going to be quicker to clean the system again, it's probably a bit more that's worked loose. Going to order some biocide this week. What filter did you use, and do you have a part number?

I put the 5.5 back on the wagon to test it under real load, and on hills etc it lacks power, it feels as though someone is knocking the accelerator back sharply, then slamming it back down, almost as though I'd filled up with kangaroo fuel.

Fuel issue sounds worse than ever now. My fuel filter is a little bit of an invention. There was no filter as such inside the canister when I got the thing, so I put this together;

182 Fuel Filter.jpg

The base cap and spring were taken from a Leyland Titan bus fuel filter, and the filter itself is an oil filter from a BMW!! Fram CH8081 or Coopers G1306. The yellow ring on the end of the filter is a soft felt seal which fits nicely onto the top of the filter housing. Some "compatable" filter makes have a hard plastic top and an 'O' ring which wont seal right.

Knowing of your problems I took mine out, after the Newark trip, to check it was filtering something and was pleased to see plenty of muck collected on the outside and nothing getting through to the inside.

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace photo

Hi there, saw the old girl at Newark but never got a chance to meet up with you, my story is very similar (thou only 140 miles) but it was my first long trip and on the motorway. I was worrid every minute that it was going to brake down and every squeak, rattle and bang left me feeling that it was all going to end in doom! I don't have a temp gauge, just an oil pressure gauge that got lower and lower....... I even stopped in the same services and to be fair it didn't miss a beat, all it needed was a pint or two of oil.

This weekend was a different story.... the rally was in my vilage so close that I could see my house, didn't stop the Matador getting stuck, the batteries went flat, the caravan leaked, ran out of gas and the batery in that went flat and the fridge broke.....