Civilian Mk1 Militant

Yep, after all this time we finally made it out onto the Queens highway. Unbelievable day out. Was like a dog with two tails. Big grins all round. I keep watching the video to make it sink in.

Covered 14.9 miles according to the mileage trip with only one problem, aswe went past my Dads house I thought I'd gave it a loud one on the air horn. The horn stuck on!! panic for a moment thinking the button had got stuck down or something, but it appears to have been the horn itself, because after what seemed forever it tailed off with a bit of a whimper and just sat there leaking air. Fortunately not enough to affect the brakes. I feel quite annoyed about it, that was a new horn and it wasn't cheap.

In the main everything was fine, nothing leaking, brakes and steering OK. Engine pulls like a train and the exhaust roar when going for it uphill is just something else. Gear change is easy and quite slick, so clutch adjustment must be good. Does well over 30mph to boot.

Loads of pedestrians and other drivers looking and pointing, certainly made an impression, if only for the queue of traffic building up behind us.

Stopped a couple of times on route to check nothing had fell off, and finished up at the local tavern for a spot of lunch and a celebration drink (only had half though)

Took a few still pictures as well as the video.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55797[/ATTACH]

It is tight getting through this gateway, that wall is going to get it one day!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55798[/ATTACH]

Just to prove we made it to the main road, first stop for leak checks etc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55799[/ATTACH]

This is after the horn incident, investigating the leaking air horn

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55800[/ATTACH]

Loads of space in the Pub car park

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55801[/ATTACH]

A pair of silly b*gg*rs posing, self and son Stuart after lunch!!

Well pleased with day, got to finish welding the crane together now. Going for a chassis steam clean next week, and hopefully top coat on the cab in February. Watch this space. First show is planned for 31 March at Detling showground

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
change wording

My first troop were knockers (1977). The best drivers only ever used the clutch to start and stop. For the less experienced the trick was to put weight on the gearstick and actually start to move it before depressing the clutch. Oh and you gave up releasing the handbrake correctly soon after skinning your thumb or knuckle on the angle iron below the windscreen, replacing it with techique where you would grab the lever about 6 inches below the breakneck, pulling the lever back then throwing it forward hard (when it hit the stop the handle would continue forward and release the cable).

Its over 30 years since I last drove one. Maybe I should put one on my wishlist.....

Oh and you gave up releasing the handbrake correctly soon after skinning your thumb or knuckle on the angle iron below the windscreen, replacing it with techique where you would grab the lever about 6 inches below the breakneck..........

Funny you should say that, despite best advice given a while ago by his Grandfather (an experienced Militant driver) son Stuart now has a big lump missing from his right hand. I didn't laugh too much :-D

My first troop were knockers (1977). The best drivers only ever used the clutch to start and stop. For the less experienced the trick was to put weight on the gearstick and actually start to move it before depressing the clutch. Oh and you gave up releasing the handbrake correctly soon after skinning your thumb or knuckle on the angle iron below the windscreen, replacing it with techique where you would grab the lever about 6 inches below the breakneck, pulling the lever back then throwing it forward hard (when it hit the stop the handle would continue forward and release the cable).

Its over 30 years since I last drove one. Maybe I should put one on my wishlist.....

Slightly OT but I was talking to a friend who lives in Milnthorpe (Cumbria) that is on the A6, he reckons that in the days when the A6 was the major North South trunk road that nobody who lived near the traffic lights ever got any sleep as the sound of the ratchet handbrakes being thrown of all night kept them all awake!!!

I will concur with the comments regarding throwing them off I had a Hippo and after catching my hand always used the technique !

I rest my case yr honour.......................

The worst thing to do on a knocker is a compression and leakage test. Claiming in and out, the heat, the smell of hot diesel, being covered in diesel and kneeling in the passenger foot well. Failing my class 2 HGV test in a HAA.

But they are lovely rugged bits of kit.

Secret is not to use the clutch, once moving. OK if you time it right, but when it all goes wrong, your first reaction is to stamp the pedal into the floor, which locks the clutch brake on and that just seems to make things worse.

Panic and embarrassment set in, as you fight with the damned thing trying to get a gear, any gear will do, and you try them all!! Meanwhile the truck just rolls to a standstill.

Then you can start all over again.

• 5 weeks later...

"WARNING" The following post contains images of an extreemly bright and shiney nature. Readers of a nervous disposition and those with a phobia about MV's not being green are advised to look away now. Anybody else who wants to look at a quality paint job, don the sunglasses and read on!!

Been in the paint shop this weekend, putting the top coat on the cab of the Militant. After a good many hours priming and flatting in some very cold weather lately all the hard work has been worthwhile and produced a cracking result.

I must highly recommend the man on the spray gun, Bill of Lambs Commercial Paints at Rye in Sussex, and I can't thank him enough for his time, effort and quality of work. Superb job and at a very reasonable price.

It's a fair run to his place from Sittingbourne. Just short of 50 miles each way, and not exactly the best roads for heaving a Militant round. Still, I'm was well pleased with the performance of the old girl on her first real long run, Returning a good 10+ miles to the gallon. I have to say also that it wasn't me that was holding up the traffic on the A229 on sunday afternoon, I was stuck behind a tractor bl**dy thing was only doing 20 mph.

Spent today putting the finishing touches to it, fitting door and grab handles back on and polishing all that brass. Seemed to take forever, but well worth the effort.

331 Fresh out of the paint shop.jpg

332 Fresh out of the paint shop.jpg

337 Top coat O-S.jpg

340 Top coat N-S.jpg

Couple of shots of her in the paint shop, before and after as usual

329 Ready for top coat.jpg

330 Top coat on.jpg

and a nice scenic view parked in a layby when we stopped for a brew on the way home

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95115[/ATTACH]

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace photos
  • Like 1