LCT - LST - Landing Craft

amamoz

Quite appropriate really 'cos the way it's going somebody's going to have to lift it off the bed of the East Float.

It does but I was told it isn't a 'big' job - what the means in real life I don't know.

Have now promoted you to Joint Chief Foundraiser.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I did send an email to someone (:thumbsup:Degsy) - so who knows what will come of it.

Meantime I'm still cleaning 20 years of crap out of the 400 amp Lincoln welder diesel tank so it won't happen today....

It would be fascinating to get an understanding of what a project like this might cost - the mind boggles!

It does but I was told it isn't a 'big' job - what the means in real life I don't know.

You will find lifting it is not a big job.

Just need to find a very big floating crane.

Mike

PS: When I mentioned in one of the A&E posts that the next one could involve an amphibious landing in France, I was not being serious.

Have now promoted you to Joint Chief Foundraiser.

No problem. You pay we'll shift it. In God we trust, all others pay cash............................... in advance.:trustme:

Well I did send an email to someone (:thumbsup:Degsy) - so who knows what will come of it.

Meantime I'm still cleaning 20 years of crap out of the 400 amp Lincoln welder diesel tank so it won't happen today....

It would be fascinating to get an understanding of what a project like this might cost - the mind boggles!

No , no email but my filter automatically removes anything to do with money:-D

We need to think big here and dream.

What would it mean to history if this was saved?

Well, first of all, I never realised that by starting this thread I would get so many enthusiastic replies. I'm living in Normandy, 25 min away from Arromanches. Needless to say that I'm extremely interested in anything to do with the Mulberry, and as such any type of landing craft. I've been dreaming for many years to get a project like this started.

It would mean a lot to history if we could pull this off. We have all seen DUKWs, so why not make other landing craft afloat?

Knowing that there is at least one LST, one LCT & one LCVP; although in terrible conditions; I will try hard to get those all grouped together in one single area - and if money allows it, get them all restored.

For the moment, I'm in an infor,ation collection phase, trying to understand which landing craft are still around, make an inventory and possible assessment of their conditions. Knowing this minimum of information will help me in looking for a suitable area.

ANY information is valuable.

Thank you all for your enthusiastic replies!

Luc

I would be happy to get involved with this project if that was an option. The original plan was to restore the sherman to be ready for 2014 to take back to Normandy, why not add a landing craft as well - would save a bit in fares for that and the rest of the fleet going over....

I suppose the real stumbling blocks are finding somewhere to put it and work on it - my experience of boats is as a passenger and i have my scout canoe badge..... Whilst i do not have a large berth ('berth' not girth), i would happily contribute cash. Perhaps an idea to establish a company to buy it and sell shares? This is not my area, how would you establish a realistic estimate of the restoration and running costs for such a thing?

Ken

Well, first of all, I never realised that by starting this thread I would get so many enthusiastic replies.

You came to the right place Luc. HMVF has a 'can do' mindset.

Speaking with them yesterday I am not so sure they would allow it to leave the 'country' - which is nuts as it may be lost forever if left in it's current state.

Yes as crazy as this sounds - we may well have an HMVF lead project here and in my mind belongs on the south coast. Wheatcroft is restoring the S130 at the cost of millions but can't see this running into those figures...?

The way forward would be establishing a Trust of some sorts and work back from there. Can you imagine the sight of this sailing around the coast on special occasions and the educational power this would have on future generations. With the amount of vehicles we have in this hobby we really could time travel with this. What a memorial.

All this needs is a vision, passion and enthusiasts and it can be done.

ISTR a thread on here a couple of years ago showing pics of the one at Harry Pounds being scrapped, IIRC the value was something over 50 grand.

Trying to go back through my research yesterday as I seem to remember a figure of £100,00 but I will just confirm that.

You came to the right place Luc. HMVF has a 'can do' mindset.

Speaking with them yesterday I am not so sure they would allow it to leave the 'country' - which is nuts as it may be lost forever if left in it's current state.

Yes as crazy as this sounds - we may well have an HMVF lead project here and in my mind belongs on the south coast. Wheatcroft is restoring the S130 at the cost of millions but can't see this running into those figures...?

The way forward would be establishing a Trust of some sorts and work back from there. Can you imagine the sight of this sailing around the coast on special occasions and the educational power this would have on future generations. With the amount of vehicles we have in this hobby we really could time travel with this. What a memorial.

All this needs is a vision, passion and enthusiasts and it can be done.

I also believe that if we get such a project off the ground (I'm thinking big - LCVP, LCT, LST, LCI, LCM, LCA,...) it should remain in the country - Portsmouth or surroundings would be ideal. It was never my intention to do it elswhere.

Vision, passion and enthusiasm I have. I'm currently looking for potential costs to restore an LCVP, LCT & LST... Then I'll see what funding "might be" available - and from then on, we have a GO!

The Warship Preservation Trust states LCT 7074, the last surviving landing craft tank that took part in D-Day......

The last....the only....I my opinion one can never be sure about how much examples survive and therefor I never use these terms, although I understand they are often used to attract attention.

A few years ago we thought the only A30 Challenger was in Overloon, but now another two popped up....a few weeks ago we thought there only was handefull of Loyd carriers around....now you need three more fingers.

The same with the LCT. There is at least one other LCT III surviving as a mobile generator in Albania....and only a few years ago three LCT's were scrapped in Holland....but these last three were not as close to the original as LCT 7074. LCT's were quite popula post-war and many were converted for commercial use....some of them hardly recognizable....there is still one in action in Holland, but it's almost impossible to recognize it as an LCT:embarrassed:

There are at least two LST's surviving as museum ships in the US, one of them, LST 325 was bought from Greece in the 90's and moved to the US under it's own power!

There are also two or three LCI's surviving in the US and an US-built LCT. In the navy museum in Haifa, Israel, you can see a LCT II. All of them WW2 vessels.

regarding the LST at pounds....wasn't that one built after D-day?

Alex

The last....the only....I my opinion one can never be sure about how much examples survive and therefor I never use these terms, although I understand they are often used to attract attention.

A few years ago we thought the only A30 Challenger was in Overloon, but now another two popped up....

Alex

They have? The Bovington A30 is well known, though sadly unrestored but where is the other one? I must have missed that!

A few years ago we thought the only A30 Challenger was in Overloon, but now another two popped up....a few weeks ago we thought there only was handefull of Loyd carriers around....now you need three more fingers.

The same with the LCT. There is at least one other LCT III surviving as a mobile generator in Albania....and only a few years ago three LCT's were scrapped in Holland....but these last three were not as close to the original as LCT 7074. LCT's were quite popula post-war and many were converted for commercial use....some of them hardly recognizable....there is still one in action in Holland, but it's almost impossible to recognize it as an LCT:embarrassed:

There are at least two LST's surviving as museum ships in the US, one of them, LST 325 was bought from Greece in the 90's and moved to the US under it's own power!

There are also two or three LCI's surviving in the US and an US-built LCT. In the navy museum in Haifa, Israel, you can see a LCT II. All of them WW2 vessels.

regarding the LST at pounds....wasn't that one built after D-day?

Alex

Yes I think you are right it was built too late to see action, but is of the same design as the war time ones, a big beast at approx 350 feet long. It was featured in a MVT Windscreen mag some time ago and has been moored at Pounds yard for many years waiting the gas axe :shocked: surley its too important to loose forever.......

How can I post bits out of a MVT mag ?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.828402,-1.093606&spn=0.001535,0.005493&t=h&z=18

Edited by R Cubed