Duxford Land Warfare Hall

I was at the museum on Friday and the Friends staff on duty confirmed it was to shut over the winter months to save on heating costs, 'due to the recession' and ' because no one goes that far down the site in winter'! I pointed out to them that the land warfare hall was my main reason for visting at any time of the year and that I might have to consider my wife and my Friends membership. It was also interesting that the landwarfare hall was the busiest bit of the museum on Friday, with a good mix of adults and school parties.

I would also recomend the new airborne display in the super hanger, which I hadnt seen before - excellent.

Rick

I haven't been to the Tank Museum since they spent all that money on the upgrade, but the Land Warfare Hall at Duxford was a much more professional and engaging setup than the TM when I last visited about six years ago. In fact I have to contact them to go on a fact finding trip concerning their Loyd Carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

well this thread is been going way too long without pictures :D

[ATTACH]36004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36010[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36009[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36008[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36007[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36006[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36013[/ATTACH]

incase you don't get there before 1st of November

[ATTACH]36014[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36020[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36018[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36017[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36023[/ATTACH]

Please Sir. Can I have the AEC 10 Ton Gun Tractor. Many years ago I think they used to run visitors around in a 1/2 scale version of the vehicle just mentioned, on my last visit of two years ago I could not see it, I think the driver sat sideways, anybody know more about it, I fancy that, as that would fit into my drive. :D

dizzy-t

Please Sir. Can I have the AEC 10 Ton Gun Tractor. Many years ago I think they used to run visitors around in a 1/2 scale version of the vehicle just mentioned, on my last visit of two years ago I could not see it, I think the driver sat sideways, anybody know more about it, I fancy that, as that would fit into my drive. :D

dizzy-t

ISTR it was built on a 4 wheel steer chassis - or two axles on turntables? Probably now has a jib on the back and in use dragging shrubs out of a herbaceous border on some big estate :cool2:

dizzy-t

There were two of those scaled down Matadors, they were sold off quite some years ago, and ended up with friends who were involved with the REME Historic Vehicle collection. Beleive they may have been sold on again. I think it was powered by a Mini engine and transmission.

Yes they were sold on again, I know the current owner who has both of them. They wre built by Alexander Fraser of AFcars/Lion Omnibuses who also built minature buses. The engines are BMC mini nounted longways with the drive shafts driving Vauxhall Viva axles. they are most definitely NOT for sale

Although I know the owner of the minature Matadors I have not had a good look at them as they are at the back of a packed shed, after looking up Sandy Fraser, the builder of these vehicles it seems that both axles were centre pivoted therefore I assume they both steered.

Thanks for the info about these Matadors, I couln't believe my eyes when I saw one of them, any chance of getting a photo sometime, as I would love to see it again, When last at Duxford, I saw the real thing, looked good, I took some photos but cant find them, so would welcome a spare one.

dizzy-t

check the all important words of the Museums act in that they CANNOT SELL any item directly to anyone and that any item for disposal must firstly be offered to any other interested Museum,Once this criteria is follwed then and only then can it be allowed to be placed out to tender normally for scrap value.

Happened at Firepower witrh forced closure of the Rotunda.

I think the balance of the old Rotunda collection is at the Snetterton museum, they even have the old name plates from Woolwich. Sadly it's still outside, though I'm guessing the air in East Anglia is less hostle than SE London?

There are several preserved guns around the Larkhill Camp, again which would benefit from being indoors.

jch

• 6 months later...
on duxfords website it states land warfare and hangar 3 shut 1 nov till 18 march might pop up this weekend

its hard to believe this. why ? surely the reasons given dont make sense....!!!and will the admission fee go down during this time ? i love duxford and i dont go just in summer. is it known by all forum members ? it may be worth putting this about on our site on other threads. mike