37mm baton guns / ammunition etc - see photos.

Foxy1

Hi there, building a collection of 37mm baton guns / ammunition. Would any one be able to help with items for sale not already in the collection (see photos). Hope someone on here can help. Also has any one got any good stories or tales about their use.

DCP00576.JPG

DCP00577.JPG

Hi there, building a collection of 37mm baton guns / ammunition. Would any one be able to help with items for sale not already in the collection (see photos). Hope someone on here can help. Also has any one got any good stories or tales about their use.

There used to be rumours in NI in the early 1970s, especially amongst sympathisers to a particular republican grouping, that we used to hollow out the baton rounds, insert a pair of U2 batteries, and then double-charge them! I've never, ever, heard of this happening - apart from being dangerous, it messes up the ballistics!

There was, however, the habit of firing the things at head-height against alleyway walls, so that they bounced all over the place - instead of firing them at the ground. I won't point any fingers at anyone, but I did see it happen once.

Additionally, we hardly ever found spent rounds after a riot. Remembering that we had internment without trial at the time, we used to find them under the pillows of wives of detainees during house searches!

The thought brings tears to the eyes.:nut:

When they changed from Rubber to Nylon baton rounds, the newer ones tended to score where they hit the ground (these marks were rough and sharp!). there was an increase of republican women coming into hospital with internal injuries! Thereafter we found more spent rounds lying around after a riot.

Foxy,

I have these spare if they are any good to you

ROUND A RIOT 1.5 IN BATON MR L5A4B1 H&W 01-03 029 with projectile x1

ROUND A RIOT 1.5 IN BATON MR L5A4 CY 09-88 035 empty case x1

ROUND A RIOT 1.5 IN BATON L5A7 PSH/0804/004 empty case x5

ROUND 37 MM BATON L21A1 PSH 04/03 012 with projectile x2

ROUND 37 MM AEP L60A1 PSH/ O105/ 014 with projectile x1

Dan

schliesser92

.......Remembering that we had internment without trial at the time, we used to find them under the pillows of wives of detainees during house searches!

Are you inferring that the Nats. were of short stature?:nut:

***Some other good feedback on the subject received on this forum (just click the link below) -

http://www.arrse.co.uk/classified-ads/138397-37mm-baton-guns-rounds.html

Really appreciate the info and offers.***

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 7/25/2010 at 7:40 PM, schliesser92 said:

There used to be rumours in NI in the early 1970s, especially amongst sympathisers to a particular republican grouping, that we used to hollow out the baton rounds, insert a pair of U2 batteries, and then double-charge them! I've never, ever, heard of this happening - apart from being dangerous, it messes up the ballistics!

There was, however, the habit of firing the things at head-height against alleyway walls, so that they bounced all over the place - instead of firing them at the ground. I won't point any fingers at anyone, but I did see it happen once.

Additionally, we hardly ever found spent rounds after a riot. Remembering that we had internment without trial at the time, we used to find them under the pillows of wives of detainees during house searches!

There were at the time Two Baton guns ORIGINALY in Service at the start, & through the mid period of 'The Troubles'.

The L48 & the L67, identical to look at like the top one dipicted in the original post on here.

The difference was, one was smooth bored. & the other had a Rifled Bore.

The Nomenclature was Engraved on the side of them after workshops conversion.

The sling used on them was a Modified Tan '37 Pattern webbing one.

The Butt plate also had Two 1" holes in it. This allowing the metal sling LOOP to be turned 180 Degrees. & fed through the Bottom hole. Loop turned back to it's original position & the remainder of the sling fed through it. The plate also had rounded ends like the Sten T Butt. NOT squared ended ones on the rectangular one above.

The 'Sterling' Pattern sling clip that was put on these Modified slings. Then clipped to the front Barrel Band Sling loop attachment point.

The Baton gun dipicted above has a Fake butt assembly on it. A LOT of these were 'Made' by a well known Gun Dealer Friend of Mine. Genuine 1.5" Signal pistols. Genuine New Unused Barrels obtained from Enfield when it closed were fitted. & the butts were 'Made' up & welded on. They are not the correct profile or size. It is also missing the FOLDING three aperture rear sight. Each hole, starting at the bottom.  was for: 25, 50 & 75 Yards Range.

the front sling band is not correct either. It SHOULD be 1/2" down from the muzzle. With a small loop underneath to accept the 'Sterling' sling clip. & ALSO have a foresight on it. They were Non removable, unlike the Federal ones. Which also incorporated a swivelling / folding sling loop.

The lower dipicted Riot gun I recall was named 'The Federal', & was introduced to supplement the insufficient Numbers of L48 & 67 Guns in Service back then.

Edited by ferretfixer