David Brown Taskmaster

HWade

Firstly marking MT in UK: MT was to be marked with the parent Command and the Group within that command. 617 was in 5 group which was part of bomber Command hence B/5. colour RAF blue grey and golden yellow were both to BS 381c the blue grey was tint 633, the golden yellow was tint 356. Even during WW2 AMOs required vehicles which were established to work on the active area to have yellow or orange markings. by mid war this was to be golden yellow or orange on upper surfaces, on tractors normally just the bonnet ( examples can be seen in the Film Night Bombers shot in colour by the CO at Hemswell and availible on VHS).

on refuellers the cab top was normally the only part yellow although I have seen WW2 photos of AEC bowsers with overall yellow tops. However it must be said many COs ignored the rule and kept vehicles totally camo. .

post war the yellow tops were still required and became more common.

The vast majority of David Browns had a multi position tow pintle with pin,. many were winch equipped to be used during recovery of aircraft that had crash landed off runway.

Air Ministry works dept or contractors cut the grass using agricultural tractors.

Attached ; one towing bombs at Hemswell winter 43/44, the other adjacent to the Comet is post war.

The big triangle on the front of the WW2 example and a small triangle mounted on the yellow plate on the rear mudguard had a red light at each corner of the triangle it was to tell other vehicles that it was towing.

TED

DVD_20080825153948.jpg

David Brown   7.jpg

Edited by ted angus

Firstly marking MT in UK was to be marked with Command and the group within that command. 617 was in 5 group which was part of bomber Command hence B/5. colour RAF blue grey and golden yellow were both to BS 381c the blue grey was tint 633, the golden yellow was 356. Even during WW2 AMOs required vehicles which were established to work on the active area to have yellow or orange markings. by mid war this was to be golden yellow or orange on upper surfaces, on tractors normally just the bonnet ( examples can be seen in the Film Night Bombers shot in colour by the CO at Hemswell and availible on VHS).

on refuellers the cab top was normally the only part yellow although I have seen WW2 photos of AEC bowsers with overall yellow tops. However it must be said many COs ignored the rule.

post war the yellow tops were still required and became more common.

The vast majority of David Browns had a multi position tow pintle with pin,. many were winch equipped to be used during recovery of aircraft that had crash landed off runway.

Air Ministry works dept or contractors cut the grass using agricultural tractors.

There is an Ex RAF D.B. doing the shows that has a front bumper mounted Flat belt PTO, but as far as I know this was retrofitted by a timber merchant after demob.

Somewhere I have a piccy of an AEC bowser with a yellow top . talking to the old boys ( when I was younger !!!) they tended to get the larger vehicles done with the yellow first as the driver had very limited vision. When I find an AEC with a yellow top I will post the pic I have seen several piccies just finding them in my files well they not really files more like dozens of discs that all need soprting !!

TED.

Well gents

Thanks very much for all of that info , its cleared up what I wanted to know, i spoke to the owner today and and after quite a chat he is happy to leave the David Brown in full Blue/grey. While on the subject of the David Brown Taskmaster, one of you mentioned about them having a winch. Well I was driving past an area today where there use to be an old timber mill, and up untill now had laid dormant for years. Well the diggers are in and they have started to clear the site. Well i pulled in and got chatting to one of the guys clearing the yard, and there standing in the centre of the yard was a AEC Matador, and in the far corner of the yard was a Bedford QL and behind that half buried in rotting undergrowth was a David Brown Taskmaster with a winch on the back. I am planning on going back to get a better look it may well be hand for spares or possibly restorartion. I managed to get a pic of the matador.It just goes to show that these old vehicles are still around.Mind you these all need alot of work.

Thanks Howard

tug5 003.jpg

Edited by HWade

Well gents

Thanks very much for all of that info , its cleared up what I wanted to know, i spoke to the owner today and and after quite a chat he is happy to leave the David Brown in full Blue/grey. While on the subject of the David Brown Taskmaster, one of you mentioned about them having a winch. Well I was driving past an area today where there use to be an old timber mill, and up untill now had laid dormant for years. Well the diggers are in and they have started to clear the site. Well i pulled in and got chatting to one of the guys clearing the yard, and there standing in the centre of the yard was a AEC Matador, and in the far corner of the yard was a Bedford QL and behind that half buried in rotting undergrowth was a David Brown Taskmaster with a winch on the back. I am planning on going back to get a better look it may well be hand for spares or possibly restorartion. I managed to get a pic of the matador.It just goes to show that these old vehicles are still around.Mind you these all need alot of work.

Thanks Howard

That Matador looks like an A K Cooper convertion fitted with Unipower Winch! If it is they are much sought after in the timber fraternity, and definitely worth the work.

Hi Howard, has yours got the 4F1R gear box or 3x2 gearbox and transfer box? The 4 speed type was fitted to the torque converter equipped tractors and although I'm not certain, what I've found on this subject seems to suggest that this type wasn't winch fitted. The official description was turbo transmitter and they did utilise a clutch and conventional clutch pedal unlike normal torque converter equipped machines which don't have a foot clutch pedal.

Drivers much preferred the torque converter types especially when moving aircraft in confined spaces where they had much more control at low speed without putting a lot of strain and wear on the transmission particularly the clutch.

Hello Degsy

The one that i have in at the momment has 4F and 1R and just 2 pedals both on the right hand side the outer pedal being the brake and the inner being the clutch.Foot throttle also on the right hand side just behind and to the side of the brake pedal.

Howard

Hello Degsy

The one that i have in at the momment has 4F and 1R and just 2 pedals both on the right hand side the outer pedal being the brake and the inner being the clutch.Foot throttle also on the right hand side just behind and to the side of the brake pedal.

Howard

Hi Howard, Torque converter type then, designation should be VIG1/462

100% Improvement.

Just get that horrible number plate taken off the front and its ready to park beside a Short Stirling for a photo - Shame their ain't none left!

Short of a Stirling:-(

Towing a Lanc would be better:D

Well it will be making its appaerance at the Rougham Air show on the 14th and 15th August, I will see if I cant get the Lanc to drop in.Ha Ha. Being serious if any body fancies a good air show then you will like this, if any of you get a chance come along, you could always book in your MV and come along for a long weekend. For entry forms for the show just ring 01359 270524.

Regards

Howard

Hi

Thats a nice looking tug to. You may have read about weather I should paint the bonnet yellow or leave it.I managed to get the owner to keep it all one colour. He has another he wants doing so maybe we will go for a yellow bonnet on that one. Thanks for the pic.

Howard

• 8 years later...