Hilman Tilly Project.

rippo

Hello,

Found my next Project, a hilman tilly. I've always liked these but never been lucky enough to find one till now. Thanks to a very good friend i got the chance of this one.

There's plenty of work to do, mainly underneath, but it seem's fairly complete. I'm starting to make a list of the parts i need so far, but in all honesty i know very litle about the tilly's, so any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. What is the best book to get on the tilly's? I'm also looking for manuals and handbooks. I plan to spend plenty of time looking into what i've got before i start work on it. So far i've found the chassis number, and the contract plate. Also i've been told it has, at one time, been fitted with a bren gun mount in the rear body. The wooden floor is original and it does have a series of holes in with captive threads underneath, has anyone come across this before orhave pictures of it?

Edited by rippo

Hi,

could I ask if is the same one what was on the ebay?

First look on this site and contact the tilly membership. :cool2:

http://www.tillyregister.com/

You have wery nice car!!! :clap::drive:

I thing it is only one picture with Bren gun mount on tilly (Austin Tilly). This one.

I have found on my Austin under metal sheat the original floar with holes for Mothly (bren AA mount as is on the picture) too.

PB030178aa.jpg

H23073a.jpg

Hello Mate,

I'm not sure of its history yet. As far as i know it hasn't been restored before and the tilly register don't know of it. Thats exactly what i'm going to try and find out before i start the restoration.

I'm not sure why this thread has been moved here, and tagged RESTORATION as this isn't a restoration blog , i'm just trying to find more about about the hilman tilly's and the mounts they carried.

Edited by rippo

Hello radek,

Thank you for the reply, the pictures are very interesting. The holes you have look very similar to the ones in mine.

So it's the same mount that was also fitted to the mw? Are there any of these around? I do have a picture of a restores 15cwt with one in but i've not seen one in the flesh.

We've wanted one of these for over twenty years so feel very lucky to have dropped on this one. Is there any information around regarding chassis numbers and year of manufacture?

100_1578.jpg

100_1577.jpg

Edited by rippo

We've wanted one of these for over twenty years so feel very lucky to have dropped on this one. Is there any information around regarding chassis numbers and year of manufacture?

Hi John,

I have some info on Hillman contracts and chassis numbers, should be able to date completion of contract as well.

Richard

Great buy, and indeed I won't fit in it. Someone offered me a drive in his Austin Tilly, but I could not manage to fit behind the wheels and use the controls safely. Another dream smashed. Oh well, I'll have one of them MW's ;)

Re. the Motley mount, they are extremely rare. A gentleman over on MLU found one in the States I think to fit in the back of his 15-cwt CMP.

To be honest, I think they look silly, especially in the back of a Tilly which should in reality be used only to ferry back and forth nurses to an army camp and the pub! :D

Keep us posted on your progress. You do have the W&T Vanderveen articles, don't you?

Hello Hanno,

The mw's are still here, but they will be moving on now i have this one. No i don't have the wheels and tracks articles, which ones should i be looking for?

I think i agree with you about the gun mount, much preffer a few nurses in the back!!

Edited by rippo

No i don't have the wheels and tracks articles, which ones should i be looking for?

Bart Vanderveen wrote three articles in Wheels & Tracks on Tillies:

Issue 25: The Morris Tilly

Issue 63: The Austin Tilly

Issue 74: The Hillman Tilly

• 2 weeks later...

Introduced willow to her new stable mate. Found the chassis plate and thanks to hanno and richard i've got a lot more information on the tilly. I still need to find a way to date the chassis number if anyone can help. I now know it should only have one headlamp, so i'm still in the dark!!!

100_1289.jpg

Edited by rippo

Hello,

There is a new book on the hilman tilly which covers it quite in depth, although i think a lot of it has been taken from the original publications and still leaves some questions. The book is, Army wheels in detail. Hillman 10HP Light Utility by Petr Brojo (RADEK do you know him?) and Micheal Sackleton Published by Capricorn Publications ISBN 970-80-903945-8-6.

There were two hillmans on show at war and peace.

This on was a 1939 rebuilt on a 1944 chassis, and looking through my new boo a number of other things are later features to!

And although i thought i had i didn't take a picture of the other, i think the dust got on my brain!!

Radek, i don't think the holes in the rear floor are for the motley mount, i believe the correct mount is the sustained fire mount. In the new book it shows the holes as a PCD much smaller and more holes than we have. Also there was an austin with the same holes on show to. A friend of mine has the sustained fire mount and when he comes over next we are going to try it in, i'll keep you posted.

100_1747.jpg

I know Mr. Brojo.:mad: A few months ago he asked me for the help with his new book Austin Tilly (now is for sell) He has send me absolutely mad text for corecting. In the text was unreal historic and technical mish mash. I have make a new one for him. My exact text without gramatic corection is in his book. :wow: I haven´t recieved the publication what was our deal on my provision. He didn´t told to me that the book is on the marked.

First I have seen it on the ebay.

I know I am stupid, if somebody can on me any help. I will make first the agreement. :banghead:

P.S.: All text still I have in my PC.

Hello Radek,

Thats annoying he went back on his word, I did see the austin book but didn't buy it. To be honest i don't think your missing much, the Bart Vanderveen article on the hillman is better. Have you got any pictures of hillman tilly's in your archives?

Your not stupid, your passion for austins shows that.

• 9 years later...