Crossley Q type 4x4

that would be great to see back restored, very nice truck. Are these original markings or one from an earlier restoration?

It's pretty much complete which is brilliant, just getting it running has been a great mojo boost to the team, now everyone wants to restore it!

Not very clear in the photo, but you can see green under the grey, around the markings (AFAIK grey was a post war RAF colour?)

There's also green on top of the grey which makes things complicated.

The post-war flasher unit on top has now been removed.

• 5 months later...
Is there anyone on here with a Crossley Q type 4x4 lorry? Wartime vintage used by RAF, there were some used with signals house bodies, and shorter ones towing Queen Mary trailers, and an open cab crass tender.

I have some information that might well be of interest to someone who owns or is restoring one. Last saw a restored one in Essex / Suffolk area, many years ago.

Hi I have just brought two Crossly lorry's one was a GS body and the other one most definitely was a tender they are both a bit of a wreck the Gs one is just a chassie with wheels and engine with no carb and no mag or dynamo and some one took the heads off the heads are still there but have let the weather in. The tender has the cab but rusted through and the tank is missing and a lot hole of stuff missing if i didn't rescue it they were going to be cut up for scrap so any one have parts manuals or any thing to do with a Crossly Q type ww2 would be very much appreciated.

The two crossly I brought are the ones Paul was trying to restore so I have taken them on They are now on there way to my workshop were I intend to one back to the fire tender but I only have one engine the other has a fordson engine in so any help with manuals or parts would be good i have tried phoning Paul but get no answer i believe he has the cabaret-or

Leyland Hippo

Loyd Carrier mk1

Brockhouse mk2 5 ton trailer

Hi I have just brought two Crossly lorry's one was a GS body and the other one most definitely was a tender they are both a bit of a wreck the Gs one is just a chassie with wheels and engine with no carb and no mag or dynamo and some one took the heads off the heads are still there but have let the weather in. The tender has the cab but rusted through and the tank is missing and a lot hole of stuff missing if i didn't rescue it they were going to be cut up for scrap so any one have parts manuals or any thing to do with a Crossly Q type ww2 would be very much appreciated.

Hi there,

Drop me a line at james@shoplandsawmills.co.uk we have the remains of a few Crossleys dotted about the place.

Yours etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James,

I am really pleased that you have taken them on as I just didn't have the time or resources to throw at them.

I am happy to assist in anyway that I can.

I have a set of manuals a starter motor and a bronze carb that I bought but never got to use.

Regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...

To resurrect this thread...There are 10 Crossley Type Q lorries on the wreck of the SS Thistlegorm. Of all the vehicle types and models carried on the ship, the Crossley is the only one now listed has having no known survivors. The Albion FBE variant was the other vehicle that was missing, but that one is under progress (Good luck Paul).

But this thread hints there may be a restoration  of a Crossley underway?

22 hours ago, SimonBrown said:

To resurrect this thread...There are 10 Crossley Type Q lorries on the wreck of the SS Thistlegorm. Of all the vehicle types and models carried on the ship, the Crossley is the only one now listed has having no known survivors. The Albion FBE variant was the other vehicle that was missing, but that one is under progress (Good luck Paul).

But this thread hints there may be a restoration  of a Crossley underway?

There was (and i presume still is) a Crossley Q type tractor unit in the Shopland Collection, and crash tender on display at RAF Museum Cosford.

4 hours ago, RAFMT said:

There was (and i presume still is) a Crossley Q type tractor unit in the Shopland Collection, and crash tender on display at RAF Museum Cosford.

Many thanks for this - both to RAFMT & Niels v.

The Crossley Q examples on the Thistlegorm are the flatbed variant, and have a very distinctive curved roof. Its like the designer was inspired by their garden shed...we are hoping that a flatbed is either under restoration, or nearing completion. Its now the last vehicle lacking a survivor...

4 hours ago, SimonBrown said:

Many thanks for this - both to RAFMT & Niels v.

The Crossley Q examples on the Thistlegorm are the flatbed variant, and have a very distinctive curved roof. Its like the designer was inspired by their garden shed...we are hoping that a flatbed is either under restoration, or nearing completion. Its now the last vehicle lacking a survivor...

There has been a long wheelbase Crossley Q in preservation for many years, think it was in the Essex/Suffolk area and had a signals type body as used by RAF (same chassis as the flatbed)  and I know of a similar one in NSW, Australia.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

I've just seen this thread. I know it's an old topic. But I own an old crossley wagon, and I'm desperately looking for information about it! I don't even know what type engine it has! If anyone has any info or photos or even parts for a cash return id really appreciate it!

Kind regards

Louie

• 6 months later...

Hi there

I did try the museum, they could only copy a small amount for me-about 5 pages or so. It's only general data and no repair details/info. Really appreciate your help though.

Regards

Louie

That's a shame as when I contacted them a few years ago they had lots of  full maintenance manuals and I had three copied for my project.

I passed them on to 'Rms Leyland Hippo'

He may be able to copy them for you?