K-38 progress

Gordon_M

I got the 1941 Highway Trailer Model -S / K-38 Cable Splicer trailer just about finished and hooked it onto the back of the 1939 Dodge TD-20 one ton pickup;

I still need to put another coat of white inside the trailer and wire the taillight, but that's about it.

I may even restart work on the pickup that will tow it, as all the hard / expensive stuff has been done, it just needs plumbing, wiring, and tinkering with till it is right.

pencil.png

k38gm22.jpg

k38gm21.jpg

k38gm20.jpg

Edited by Gordon_M

Oh, you can open the lid if you want to;

The bracket on the lid doubles up as a handle, retainer for the Dietz Lantern, and mount for the lantern guard. You can see that spacing the bracket off the lid allows the bevel on the lantern to slide underneath and be positively retained, whether or not the guard is on it.

I have the original 1941 bracket, a 1988 NOS US Military Dietz Little Wizard No 1 Lantern, and a reproduction of the lantern guard as there is only one original known to exist.

The whole trailer locks up with one padlock on a swinging hasp. The hasp locks the lid down, and a protrusion on the hasp locks the lantern and guard in position. The lower rear storage hatch on the trailer is secured by a spring loaded locking bar internally, so if the lid is locked shut the rear hatch is too.

Tyres are 4.00 x 18 motorcycle type. The originals were Firestone, which are still available as modern reproduction but at about £150 each, so I went with Malaysian current production road legal motocross types which are very like the ones shown on the parts list illustrations.

I'm just back from putting the final coat of white on the interior, but still need to wire the taillight and fit the license plate.

k38gm05.jpg

K38ord9.jpg

Final coat of white paint on the interior today;

Pressing up three license plates, two for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer;

... and fitted a set of tie-down rings to the 1939 TD 20 towing vehicle;

(Up to about the end of 1940 they used tie down rings rather than hooks)

Gordon

k38gm23.jpg

k38gm24.jpg

wd21l040.jpg

Friends in the US who have them can pick up contents at garage sales quite easily, as most were standard telephone company stuff which was in use for 30 years or so from the 30's through to the 60's.

Over here I'd have to buy it one piece at a time off E-Pay which would end up costing more than the trailer.

As an aside, I managed to get the oil guage line hooked up on the Dodge tow truck, and the clutch and bellhousing covers on. I was relieved to find the engine turns quite freely as I had it rebuilt in 2005 and haven't been as religious as I could have been about turning it every few months.

Edited by Gordon_M

• 3 weeks later...

I got Civilian Conservation Corps license plates painted up and fitted to the Dodge and trailer. Dodge has been making progress too, although difficult to see under five years of dust. Trailer still needs the taillight wiring when I decide to go with military or civilian pattern.

I still have to do about half the wiring on the Dodge, and a couple of small plumbing jobs ( fuel tank drain plug, HEAT guage ) plus fan belt, wiper motor, etc. Looks like one of the original screen glass panes has started to de-laminate too so that will need changing.

tdk3801.jpg

• 10 years later...