Boiling Vessel wiring details wanted

MilitantGraham

I just bought a brand new boxed 24v boiling vessel and a couple of second hand leads at War Wheels, Oswestry, today.

I intend to fit it in the Militant, which never had one as standard, so I need to know the wiring connections.

I am aware that it draws 50 amps so I can only use it with the engine running, the Militant is fitted with the 90 amp charging system so will keep up with it easily.

The four pin plug has got pins marked A,B,C,D. Can someone tell me please how they should be connected ?

Are there any special instructions for its use ? Is it simply a matter of filling the outer container with water, putting the food in the inner container and switching on ?

Graham

It is covered in EMER ENGINEERING & MISCELLANEOUS D322.

C (one end of thermostat) goes to the energising coil of a 60A relay, the other end of the winding to +ve

D is the other end of the thermostat to earth -ve

A is the heater element that goes to erarth -ve

B is the other end of the heater element that goes to the normally open contact on the realy, the other contact of the relay goes to +ve

"It is important that either at least twp pints of water should be in the water container or the inner container should be in position before the vessel is switched on. Switching on with an empty water container and no inner container in place will lead to a burnt out element."

it says all this then talks about shallow frying, sausages (how many?) take 10 min, but eggs 1-2 min, bacon 2-3 min. DEEP FAT FRYING SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED

Water boiling

Pints-Minutes

2 -9

3-11

4-13

5-16

6-19

7-25

Tea must not be made in it as it will clog the tap.

AREA AROUND THE THE VENT MUST BE FREE OF OBSTRUCTIONS

It also says it is for 28 volts & should not be used on mains voltage

I take it there should be a switch in the feed to the relay winding.

I would have thought so, but it seems to vary with installations. Reference is made to "switch on or engage plug into socket"

I agree with you that without a switch for the relay coil there is going to be a heavy current as you make & break the plug union.