54-82540 Ferret Scout Car Restoration 35 BA 95

June 21st update...

After installing the exhaust (with a homemade muffler that came with it...nice :cool2: ). Replaced one brake line, bleed the brakes I sorted out a few loose wires, I connected the drive shafts and she was ready to check the transmission operation. (nice to have the brakes for this)

I started it up and after allowing it to warm up, poped her into reverse, selected 1st gear and poped the change pedal. A little lurch was all I got. 2nd gear was the same feeling. It didn't look to promising at this point. When I selected 3rd gear, she started rolling back! Turns out, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears seem fine, just 1st and 2nd seem non existant.

I only wanted to prove the driveline operation today, the transmission will require some further investigation. I assume its possible (and most likely) that both 1st and 2nd brake bands are totally burned away or would poor adjustment cause this issue?

Keep in mind the previous owner only ever started the vehicle a couple of times and never drove it or moved it from where its been sitting for the past 9 years. I have no idea how long the owner before him had it or if they abused it until it broke then they parked it. I assume that may have been the case.

Will take a video in a bit to post.

Cheers

Hi Brad,

Undo the bolts around the cover above the brake bands if you're unlucky they might look like the picture below. Pic courtesy of Jim Davies

Andy,

I will go pop the cover off right now and see what I will find. Camera in hand of course...

Yick! :cry:

Not sure what story this tells you Andy. I don't know enough about the gearboxes (yet) for it to do anything for me except you can tell its been sitting for a long, long, time.

2010.06.21 002.jpg

Edited by mkVsten

Brad,

It's no surprise that the 2 rusty adjusters, at the bottom of the photo, are the ones you're having a problem with. Get someone to pump the pedal in gear while you watch the adjusters. It may be that they're siezed and might work if freed off. I think you need to drain the oil out of that box and check for water as a start though!

Chris

Brad,

It's no surprise that the 2 rusty adjusters, at the bottom of the photo, are the ones you're having a problem with. Get someone to pump the pedal in gear while you watch the adjusters. It may be that they're siezed and might work if freed off. I think you need to drain the oil out of that box and check for water as a start though!

Chris

Chris,

Here is the oil. Nice eh? Looks like the stuff spewing from the BP well in the Gulf of Mexico.

2010.06.22.JPG

Just to keep you all up to speed…

All fluids have now been changed. Fluid flywheel was down about three liters!!! Topped that up of course.

I cleaned up the adjusters on 1st and 2nd. They did not seem to stick and the rust that was on them mostly wiped off with a rag. Very odd.

I reassembled everything (counted the turns on the self adjuster nuts when I removed them to re-install the same number of turns). Popped the top back on the transmission and re-filled with oil.

Started right up with no problem and after checking the fluids again (engine oil and gearbox) I tried 1st and 2nd and absolutely nothing. Third is very strong, enough to drive her around in and out of the shop. 4th and 5th seem strong as well.

Tomorrow I will fabricate the wilson pre-select gauge and double check the gearbox settings. I know its going to have to come apart, but it would be nice to take her for a proper drive before I tear it apart.

The fun continues!!!

Your right on the money Andy. Took this video about an hour ago. Keep in mind, its starting off in third gear. The home made muffler is a bit loud, but the exhaust tubes are leaking as well which adds to the noise. Seems to back fire through the carb, will have to play with that a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJJgzQe7uk&feature=channel

Edited by mkVsten

Hello Brad - enjoying your posts.

Great to see the Ferret mobile. Your transmission is much better condition than the best of my three here - very very rusty inside from prolonged bathing in fresh water !

Keep up the good work as you are helping to encourage other Ferreteers as far away as Western Australia

Cheers

Phill

• 3 weeks later...

Long time since making an update. Have been busy at work plus a vacation got in the way!

Made up a Wilson pre-select gauge and have been playing with the adjustments on the gearbox, have discovered 1st gear adjusting nut spring is not functional, so will have to replace it but I think I have been able to adjust up 1st and second gear to a functional state. Plan on going back at her tonight for a few more hours. Will report back with some photos...

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...