Reporting Live from A&E

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is back! Awesome weekend in an armoured convoy through Dorset and Dorchester 62 WW2 vehicles, brilliant weather, Maiden Newton at War was excellent and took part in the battle on Sunday, 4 hour drive home in the Dodge at 40mph, lots of beer drunk and friends made....SUPERB!!!

Will post pictures as soon as I can.

Keith

Spood. Did we meet? How mad is it, there are loads of HMVF people I never said 'hi' to....

We did cross paths but never got to speak, one or the other was otherwise engaged.

Bloody hell!!!! What an amazing weekend!!! And yes this morning I haved stopped grinning (although it still hurts!!) but only because the cold reality dawns that no I can't see the sights I saw and hear the sounds I heard this weekend every day of my life!!!! What I will do though is grin everytime I think of what we did on Saturday. I use the word "we" very loosely as my only contribution was to fill a seat in a truck compared to the time and money a lot of others put in. It was a really slick operation and a good advert for the hobby I thought. The DR's were great and watching them flying past to get to the next juntion was brilliant. I'm looking forward to War and Peace,but it won't be the same seeing the vehicles in a field as seeing and hearing them working hard through Dorset!!!! I will try and post some pics sometime although non of them really convey the feeling of looking at a line of Shermans winding their way through lanes in front of you or following one climping hard up hill on the way back to camp with Enigma grinning like mad on the back!!!!! Old friends met and new ones made too.

Jack Beckett and crew you're legends!!!

Daren

To BigRedOne,

was that you that had to anchor up in a hurry when the jerrican landed in the road in front of your jeep?

Good brakes mate!

To BigRedOne,

was that you that had to anchor up in a hurry when the jerrican landed in the road in front of your jeep?

Good brakes mate!

Yes it was and I was just about to jump out and pick it up.....good job it wasnt full, now that would have been a different story:shocked:

Firstly, Jack/Kev/Mark Hart/Dave H - What a weekend, thank you for all your blood, sweat and tears!

Some highlights from me;

Screaming down the outside of a row of armour on my Triumph to get to the next road junction needing blocking :D

Cider related hangovers not being too bad

Screaming down the outside of a row of armour on my Triumph to get to the next road junction needing blocking :D

Being stood on a bend of an otherwise empty road as 3 Shermans, 1 Hellcat and 1 Stuart flew past

Knowing someone else was cooking breakfast, and not me

Oh, and did I mention I had a fair bit of fun on my Triumph? :D:D:D

And another, meeting you lot, and being able to put faces to names and making a lot of new friends!

Hi all,

What can I say but second all the comments before me - what an excellent event. Thank you Jack for letting me tag along to take some pictures and I hope my shots and everyone else's can do your efforts justice. As I wasnt in the convoy I had a number of chances to see the convoy go past and it was - simply - awesome. There was me, all on my lonesome except for singing birds, and then the squeak of tracks and growl of engines would gradually build in the distance and within minutes the calm was shattered as vehicle after vehicle rolled by.

My lasting memory will be standing on top of my ladder - for which I must now be famous - at 7pm in the evening by the side of a major road, getting odd looks from passing drivers, but hearing in the distance the sound of heavy armour climbing the hills around me. It was stunning. I wish I'd had a video to record those sounds...

Other highlights - the Hellcat nearly got past me before I had my camera ready it was going so bloody fast - and the stopover in Martinstown was a photographic timewarp and took me back 66 years. Bodge's T-shirt duvet story and the sub-zero temperatures will remain with me... and having five star chefs on site was a real bonus. Cheers, Snap, for the use of the tent.

I have 100's of pix to sort out and will post on here when I get the chance, but I had to play with a few I saw that I immediately liked while I was downloading them today... on the way to Martinstown, in Martinstown, running back to camp and the 'Adrians Sherman Recovery Op' roadshow arriving back at camp...

AE1S.jpg

AE2S.jpg

AE3S.jpg

AE4S.jpg

AE5S.jpg

well home finally after the trucks brakes stuck on this morning:blush::blush:

great weekend and thanks for the tank ride yesterday morning:-D:-D

hopefully everyone enjoyed the food

and jack yes 2 years time ive got you recorded:cool2:

What an event

Haven't stopped grinning yet :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A very very big thanks for those who worked their socks off to do this, just goes to show if you put your mind to it and stay with for long enough you can do anything.