Jump to content

One piece at a time episode3

Recommended Posts

I'd totally forgotten that I had never finished the story of Fred at Ramsbury until I revisited the thread tonight........and what memories it brought back. So for any of you who may still be interested.......

Episode 2 concluded with the jimmy about to tow a string of vehicles on to the campsite which duly proceded without incident. However the last client was a large van towing a catering trailer which again the jimmy easily coped with, getting it into position and helping the owner to disconnect trailer and towing the van into the position he required. I was now thinking that's tonight's supper was organised when somebody(I think one of the Stevens brothers) appeared to tell me that another entrance at the top of the field that had been opened to help clear the log jam in the main entrance was now blocked and would I mind assisting. On arriving at the top of the field I was confronted with vehicles scattered about at all angles, 1 apparently having got stuck and the others charging in like lemmings picking different routes 'til the ground resembled a very muddy ploughed field. One of the vehicles was 4x4 pickup (Jap crap) whose driver must have been very embarrassed when several 2wd vehicles drove past him without a care:D

Having removed the obstructions we were then entertained by the arrival of a camper van whose driver, on being told that he would be towed in, proceeded to inform anybody that would listen what he thought of the organisation that would allow such things to happen. This was done in a somewhat raucous manner liberally sprinkled with what can only be described as a fine selection of old Anglo Saxon words.

Much to the amusement of several people he then announced that he was going up the road to turn round. It was then explained to the rest of us that the only place he could turn round was a very muddy farm yard. When he finally returned a considerable time later liberally anointed with contents of said farmyard he was treated with the contempt he deserved and as far as I know wasn't seen again.

My mind now turned to food and visions of what I hoped would be a complimentary supper (free scran to you lot). How wrong could I be:shocked: not even a free gratis cuppa:cry:

By this time Jack had arrived along with his minder Kevin and although we had spoken many times this was the first face to face meeting, Jack did a double take on seeing me then promptly christened me Fred Dibnah:D My reputation for being ever so slightly short fused had obviously preceded me because Jack very quickly apologised but it was totally unnecessary as how could I take offence at being named after such an illustrious character and a hero of mine to boot? I then had to dig holes for Jacks tent poles with MY mattock

( who ever heard of a jimmy not equipped with pioneer tools). A very pleasant evening followed in the company of Jack, Kevin, Andy Weasel and stepson Thomas ( friends of mine from N.Wales), Bodge and Mr and Mrs Jesse Jeep, a certain amount of liquid refreshment was consumed but of course being the abstemious person I am I naturally refrained from any thing with a mildly alcoholic content and retired sober to bed at an early hour.:yawn:

Morning dawned as is it's want to a hive of activity amid frantic preparation for the first days convoy( see pic elsewhere on this thread of Jack bounding into action):morning: Both days outings have been well documented on here and a good job it was as I missed a lot of the talks at the various locations due to attending to several recalcitrant vehicles, However I have to say the convoys on both days were superbly organised and marshalled and the routes chosen were very scenic culminating in a little gentle green laning on the return trip. At this point I must say a public and heartfelt thank you to Kevin for keeping an eye on me throughout the event to ensure that my health issues did not become a problem and also to Jack and Tim(Great War Truck) who came up trumps and supplied me with liquid sustenance when I was suffering from dehydration due to lack of my normal intake of tea having stupidly left my flask back at Camp Ramsbury

I was very lucky as Neil Stevens and his son rode shotgun with me for part of the one of the two convoy trips and his knowledge of the area and description of the events that took place there were a revelation. Thank you Neil. I must also mention the exhibition Neil put on in the village memorial hall, it was exceptional and I spent a complete morning there part of which was taken up with chatting to two WW11 tanker vets who had a huge fund of amusing stories but I suspect they weren't particularly funny at the time.

The evening after the first convoy, as far as I can remember, there was a 1940's fashion show somewhere, didn't go so can't comment. I visited a number of hostelries, just to be sociable you understand and later in the evening The Garrison boys and girls put a match to the blue touch paper on their searchlight and put on a very impressive display in the night sky.

I have no recollection at all of the evening after the second convoy so I assume I must have enjoyed it to the full.:beer::yay:

As mentioned elsewhere on here Monday dawned early and very wet but due to the sterling efforts of a number of people led by Keith Brigstock the days events went ahead more or less as planned. Special mention must be made of the residents of Ramsbury who were roused early from their beds ( by the formidable lady who I believe is chairperson of the village parish council) to be informed that she was commandeering all suitable land in the village including their house drives for parking as the field set aside for this purpose was now impassable. To their great credit they cooperated fully and I didn't hear a single voice raised in complaint, I hope that they felt the success of the event justified the means.

Late afternoon and the campsite was almost deserted so I packed the jimmy up ready for a late departure and overnight drive before repairing to the pub with the Kennet Valley MVT organising team and partaking of an excellent meal before regretfully leaving Camp Ramsbury about 10.15pm for the overnight drive back to N.Wales.

This turned out to be completely uneventful in complete contrast to the outward trip (thank heavens) and I arrived home before 5am in time to unpack and take the truck up to the farm before breakfast and a days work on the farm.

This was a never to be forgotten event and now there has been a second RTV which I was unable to attend and which I have heard very little about although with the same organising team I'm sure it must have been equally successful. If A&E is anywhere near as good and I'm sure it will be then it will be another not to be missed event. Although my health is not all it might be I still have faint hopes of getting to A&E albeit without a vehicle but if I don't make it I will be there in spirit and all I ask is that you all enjoy it and don't forget to post oodles of photos for those of us who can't be there.


Edited by Degsy
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a cracking day out and brings back many memories to read your post. I have not seen many photos of this years RTV. Maybe it will appear in Pathfinder?


Tragically i cant make A&E. Poor diary management i suppose. I hope it all goes according to plan and every one has a great time.



Link to post
Share on other sites
get y'self down there

it'd be nice to see you again... always good to see northerners maintaining a prescence amongst the hethens

RTV was a very good event and a good crack


Wish I could be there but although (or perhaps because) I'm fairly well at the moment I'm just too busy to get there.:-(

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Create New...