I was doing all those last minute jobs getting ready for A&E and upon checking the oil I found the level a little high...... Now the Sherman does use a bit of oil but I've never known it to gain any!

I suspected fuel was getting past the fuel pump shaft seal into the sump and I was correct. I had a memory of the pump having a drain hole beyond the seal to stop this happening and when I checked it still had the transit plug in it! Mind you, the photos of the pump on the engine in the manual show it fitted too, so there you go!

This is all a result of fitting the electric pump to get over the problem of fuel evaporation it had suffered from under certain conditions. The electric pump is on the inlet side of the rotor pump so is obviously putting pressure on the seal it was not intended to bear.

Anyway, I removed the pump, fitted a new seal and refitted it with the drain hole open. It did not leak under test but I expect to have a problem sooner or later. I will take a blanking plate with me to replace the pump together with a selection of fittings to connect the fuel pipes together.

Long term is probably to fit a pressure regulator inline but that will have to wait.

Oil is currently draining ready for a refill tomorrow, all 8 gallons of it.

The scary thing is, I've drained 11 gallons of runny oil out........:embarrassed:

well spotted adrian, i wonder how many of us would have thought nothing of it and motored on with thin oil, the thought of seizing that engine of yours makes me feel bad but it would probably give you a heart attack.

the importance of good maintenance and inspections cannot be under estimated.

eddy

Adrian - are you trying to give me a heart attack???

- now get off HMVF and get in that tank and FIX IT.

Just the reaction I was hoping for! :D Sorry Jack, needed a laugh!

Just got to fill up with oil (8 gallons) and petrol (83 gallons) :-( and I'm ready.

- where's Bodge......

It wasn't me it was like that when i got there

you can't prove anything

i was very carefull with it wasn't i Adrian...

Adrian?...

Helooo is this thing on?

Just the reaction I was hoping for! :D Sorry Jack, needed a laugh!

Just got to fill up with oil (8 gallons) and petrol (83 gallons) :-( and I'm ready.

83 gallons ouch!

Thought is was only a few miles up the road and back for you?

Good job Jack's sponsoring you :whistle:

That's a hell of a lot of money in Petrol..... :cry: dios mio. I've been working out how much it would cost to transport a T16 around to shows and it's shocking! Can't imagine a Sherman.

Can't wait to hear that multibank running :D

Hang on a moment - Yes, Multibank. So is there just one oil sump, i.e. engines are dry sump, or are you talking about just one of the engines with sump dilution? If one sump, is there one oil pump, or does each engine draw its own supply?

Sorry, mine is a very steep learning curve :blush:

Hang on a moment - Yes, Multibank. So is there just one oil sump, i.e. engines are dry sump, or are you talking about just one of the engines with sump dilution? If one sump, is there one oil pump, or does each engine draw its own supply?

Sorry, mine is a very steep learning curve :blush:

Yes, one sump for all five engines. One pressure pump, two scavenge pumps. The fuel pump is mounted on no. 4 engine, the lower right hand block.

The pump can be seen at the lower rh rear of this picture, just below the distributor.

eng rear.jpg

Oh boy, that makes for fun fault-finding :sweat:

Herbert is still not fit enough to travel far, but hopefully at some stage he will be able to entertain you with loads of crafty solutions to doing difficult jobs on these machines - many of which no doubt you've already discovered the hard way!!

I've been meaning to ask....how do you fill the Sherman with petrol?

17 Jerrycans full,

1 Jerry can and 17 trips to the pump,

take the Sherman to the petrol station,

a bowser of your own?

other?!

and how long does it take?

An interesting question. This is the first time I've 'filled' it but I fill four jerrycans at a time making sure I use a suitable garage. Some are less concerned than others about the regs on this point.....

I've been filling cans for the last few weeks, always carrying four in my car and getting fuel when convenient.