Amberley Military vehicle show 23rd May

I was taliking to John Newton yesterday who usually goes with his Pig as he is nearby. I would certainly go with my Pig if it was a 2-day show, otherwise it's just not cost effective. All I want to do is kip in my vehicle. I don't expect a beer tent, a rock band, a Glen Miller tribute band, showers, catering, a plaque or even toilets, I am totally self sufficient.

I just wish a few smaller events would consider extending to two days to entice those who have to travel a fair way to get there & are happy for just for one night to survive on a tin of baked beans & few bottles of beer. I suspect organisers may be intimitaded by those who feel that if they bring the wife & kids they might expect all facilities to be laid on & that may well be a justifiable expectation for the high profile, higher attendance shows.

These one day efforts might suit classic car people who have relatively low fuel costs & just like to turn up at 10am & shove off at 3pm, or sooner if the sun doesn't come out.

But we & our vehicles are made of tougher stuff! Its not just the time & fuel, much of the fun is walking around in the evening with a beer, looking & talking about this & that when the public have gone home.

i tried to take my ferret to a show at osney farm in blindly heath a few weekends ago was told no way late entry etc we have over a hundred mvs booked in no more room etc , well i went as a member of joe public and there were 16 military vehicles there !!

Presumably you will go to the Tangmere Museum "Ferret & MV Event", to launch, if that is the right word, their Vigilant Ferret?

Another one-day effort I'm afraid, I would like to go in something interesting but in view of the distance it will have to be in a Land Rover.

• 4 weeks later...