Saddleworth wartime weekend.

didn't know someone got run over, hope he's alright but how do you get run over by a towed gun, i assume it was reversing and he didn't see it coming, too many distractions maybe.

eddy

Full story here http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/08/16/man-crushed-by-gun-carriage-in-marsden-war-time-re-enactment-86081-27068230/

Hi everyone,

The guy involved in the accident at the Carriage House had jumped off the back a bit to soon and was run over by the gun being towed as the vehicle was asked to move forward into its parking position by a marshal.

Hope he gets well soon and has a speedy recovery.

We all had a great weekend well done to the organisers and look forward to next year when some of our friends will be over from the USA.

Heres a few pictures i took on Sunday.

P7160322.jpg

P7160319-1.jpg

P7160320.jpg

P7160327-1.jpg

Edited by Saddleworth1

like the citroen truck .(good pics mate).....

The Citroen truck was in absolutely mint condition. Probably looks better than when it came out of the show room. Sounded nice and quiet when it drove away too. Someones done a fantastic job on it. There were a couple of nice Citroen Traction Avant cars next to it as well, not sure if they were same owner.

Didn't get any photo's myself unfortunately had my hands full with my two children.

Nice event, the paper is wrong though, what a surprise! The guy got out when he shouldn't have, assuming that the lorry was parked up, even though the driver always told them when they were safe to dismount, he was then run over by the driver who was moving forward to park up, he was unaware that anyone had got out.

The chap is currently in Bradford Royal Infirmary, with a fractured arm, three broken ribs, a gash to his head and a facial injury that will require plastic surgery, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Incidently, the air ambulance had a BBC cameraman on board, perhaps you might see the whole event on TV someday? Let's hope they stick to the facts.

Micheal Andrews who was involved in the accident has posted this on Facebook

"Just a few words to all my family and friends and well everyone that has been concerned about me a MASSIVE THANKS and love TO YOU ALL im home now, some broken bones ribs, and cuts but IM HOME and words cant express my love and thanks to Angie who was there for me when i needed it Luv you babes".

Great news that Micheal is on the mend :-)

A shame. I hoped that someone might have got some of Bernadette! I was the only vehicle to have no passengers... Billy no mates! The Mrs was looking in the dress shops!!! Anybody would have been welcome for company :-(.

I'll remember to ask for a ride next year! Unless by some miracle I have one of my vehicles there.

• 3 weeks later...

You will be more than welcome to come for a ride, it would be a pleasure.. along with anyone else who wants a ride. Just don't climb out of the back till I tell you, though!!!! Finally I would like to thank profusely the organisers of the event for a super weekend. Hopefully see you all again next year.:-)

• 6 months later...

Change of venue for wartime weekend

“THE show must go on” . . . that’s the message from the organisers of the Yanks are Back in Saddleworth who have managed to secure an alternative venue for this year’s celebration.

This year’s nostalgic weekend will take place in the grounds of Saddleworth School.

The school will take a step back in time to the war-torn 1940s from August 12-14 for the 10th anniversary celebration of the event known in the past as the wartime weekend.

The organisers looked for an alternative site as they knew last year that the Churchill playing fields may be out of action due to planned drainage works, which are set to start in June.

Chief organiser Paul ‘Dogtags’ Higginson, said: “It is a weight off our shoulders and we have kindly been offered the venue.

“Saddleworth space is at a premium to put these kind of events on. We’ve already visited the school and come up with a plan for the event to utilise the space fully.”

Family favourites such as the military vehicle convoy, the Dakota flyover and battlefield re-enactment will be on the agenda with stalls, a funfair and exhibitions based in the school grounds.

Paul said: “We would like to go back to Churchill eventually but we’ll give it a go this year and it could turn out to be the ideal location.

“We’ve always tried to have a Plan B from day one. We’re determined to make it the event that the people of Oldham and Saddleworth expect and will enjoy for years to come.”

The event has been held at the school in the past, the 2007 festival being the last occasion.

excellent news this is a nice event and only down the road from me...

I will be there with my Land rover 90 FFR if they will have me !

Anyone know how you apply to be there?

cheers

Mike

I think you can just turn up on the day that is what a lot do on the Sunday morning for the convoy.

Any questions you can contact the organiser Paul ‘Dogtags’ Higginson on 07709 052501

• 6 months later...
Nice event, the paper is wrong though, what a surprise! The guy got out when he shouldn't have, assuming that the lorry was parked up, even though the driver always told them when they were safe to dismount, he was then run over by the driver who was moving forward to park up, he was unaware that anyone had got out.

The chap is currently in Bradford Royal Infirmary, with a fractured arm, three broken ribs, a gash to his head and a facial injury that will require plastic surgery, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Incidently, the air ambulance had a BBC cameraman on board, perhaps you might see the whole event on TV someday? Let's hope they stick to the facts.

In case anyone missed it the accident was shown on Helicopter Heroes last Wednesday.

You can see it here on BBC I Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0150p0y/Helicopter_Heroes_Series_5_Episode_8/