514th War & Peace photos

Just put our web site photos up of our display at Beltring http://www.514th.co.uk/w&p2006.html.

Hard to say what the best part for me was,

It would be a close call between the 31 truck Red Ball convoy or

the battles riding in on a Sherman tank operating the 50Cal and turret gun with Enigma (where are the photos ?), was also good to meet some of the other forum members, like Jack and Ashley.

Mick.

2.jpg

Stunning picture Mick, it would of been the effort just to of been involved in that convoy........top effort from everyone. That convoy will be talked about for years I would imagine.

Good to see you Mick and well done on your display, my children thought you looked just like a US soldier :-o

Stunning picture Mick, it would of been the effort just to of been involved in that convoy........top effort from everyone. That convoy will be talked about for years I would imagine.

Good to see you Mick and well done on your display, my children thought you looked just like a US soldier :-o

Thanks Jack, sorry I could not stop to talk to you for long, I was rushed off my feet every minuet of the day, I have had to take two days of work to recover, 5 weeks tell the next one for us lot (Military Odyssey).

Excellent, I could not have had a bigger grin on my face, I swapped places with the main gunner in mid battle, I don't know how the guys did it in WWII, it was so hectic firing on German Halftracks on the move, the heat and the noise when the gun fired was unbelievable..... I think that took first place on my War & Peace grin list :-D :-D :-D :-D

Can you two now leave please.

I remember saying to Enigma "we will have to put a post on HMVF, What did you do at W&P" he then took that photo and started playing his harmonica which set the perfect atmosphere as the troops moved up to the front line and past us, before climbing in I wish him good luck and to keep his head down, we then when off to hut down Tiger tanks. Perfect Day :-D

I remember saying to Enigma "we will have to put a post on HMVF, What did you do at W&P" he then took that photo and started playing his harmonica which set the perfect atmosphere as the troops moved up to the front line and past us, before climbing in I wish him good luck and to keep his head down, we then when off to hut down Tiger tanks. Perfect Day :-D

Sorry Jack :wink:

Heard you were there, a pity we didn't meet.

It was a beautiful experience!!

Enjoyed ourselves to bits. :naughty:

After the re-enactment we got tea from Berni (ta!) while parked before the audience.

Difficult to drink on the move though but Hey, a cup of tea can be enjoyed anywhere. :cofee:

Also drove around the arena for the tanks display, again lots of fun!! :banana:

The story behind the ride in the Sherman;

Last year a convoy of tanks were driving around the fields.

I was in Airborne uniform and when a Sherman stopped I put up my thump to ask for a lift and he said come aboard!!

I helped him a little to park at his campsite and was introduced to his family.

This year he was there again so I stopped by.

He asked if I had my uniform, (Yes) and he invited me to the Mock battle if possible.

I helped in the tank with the gas operated gun (HOT) and marshalled him to the arena at jogging speed panting like crazy.

And the rest is history.....

I'll let Mick tell you how he got into the tank.

Sorry Jack :wink:

Heard you were there, a pity we didn't meet.

It was a beautiful experience!!

Enjoyed ourselves to bits. :naughty:

After the re-enactment we got tea from Berni (ta!) while parked before the audience.

Difficult to drink on the move though but Hey, a cup of tea can be enjoyed anywhere. :cofee:

Also drove around the arena for the tanks display, again lots of fun!! :banana:

Hi Enigma,

I think I supplied the tea, one of the guys on the crew offered me a ride on the Sherman aswell, but we were too busy to enable me to pop over :cry:, hopefully I will be able to get a ride next year.

Typical, Mick gets all the fun.

But I have some contacts within the arena for next year so should be able to get quite a list together of all the trucks/tanks etc that I will be able to ride in. :evil:

This has to be the busiest I have ever been non-stop all day saturday and sunday !!

Had an excellent time, just takes a couple of days to get over all the exhaustion.

Take care guys,

Cara

x

i had the good fortune to go on the Jimmy run on thursday & then on friday in the heat i donned my tanky jacket & helmet & stood in the back of a friends half track while we played in the arena & then did the WW11 armour run round the show site after.

the arena was real bumpy and when the halftrack went over a hillock i lost my footing along with a couple of other guys & a poor unsuspecting GI on the other side ended up wearing me as a necklace :-o

its all good fun

ta

Berni

Hi all,

Love the mono pics on the website!

At the risk of exposing (!) my inability to take good photos, the show pics by myself and Snapper are up on the war and peace website gallery. Sadly there's a few duffers got thru the editors net, but it was a tiring week so we'll let him off (until we see him next).

Cara - I assume you recall being the back of Andys Landrover with me for the Red Ball Express - what an experience - hope you enjoyed it too! :wink: For some reason our pics of the Express dont seem to be on line yet but both John and myself got some good'uns so they'll turn up... sometime...

Zoomer (Phil)

PS The clubmobile tea was classic. Shame I couldnt be around for one of the film showings but the photo team were run off our feet... hope you had good turnouts.

Zoomer Phil is right about the tea - but he missed the spagbog. We all missed out on donuts, though. My son James is a connoissuer and was disappointed. There will be a next time. My snaps of the Express are missing too. I think we got hundreds between us. Hope you enjoyed being in that landie with Phil, Cara. He is a wonder to watch in action. A few days with him and I've learned how to work my camera properly, but God, does he snore after a few beers (says James - I was worse). The tent is so out of shape we couldn't fit the poles in the bag. The website is something of a dogs breakfast at the moment. My first page is a series of black cats in coal cellars and some pix are credited to me and I never took them. But it is a big improvement on previous years! The GMCs were fantastic... shame about that funny little Bedford MW sneaking in with Jim Fleet at the wheel. Sly old dog.

It was great to see so many Jimmy's all on the move at one time, I was in the back of the 4th truck, the 514th was running 4 trucks in that convoy (Truck 4, 5, 6 and 7), it would have looked even better if all the other drivers and passengers where dressed in green, I did say to one of our guys if the 514th every get this big we will defiantly have problems driving in convoy to the shows :-).

"Snapper" Glad you liked the spagbog, I see there is a photo of it on the W&P site , So you must have been the guy that keep saying "You get everywhere" whenever I saw you ?.

Also found a photo of me and Enigma in the Sherman 8-)

Mick

12.jpg

4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah Mick - that lookks like my sag bog snap. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Hope you will be at Odyssey to say hello again. I have to say that the RBX was on of the best features of Beltring I can remember and being out on the road was amazing. I think I have got snaps of all you blokes - but sorting them out is taking an age. I presume you lifted the food snap off the show website?? There were a load more pics of events that never even got added because time ran out. The show snappers team will be back in 2007 and we hope to an even better job. Editing the stuff proved imposible, hence the dupes and occasional duffers - but the webmaster and his lads worked like trojans - so no complaints there. See you soon

Mark B