Reversing Camera.

gritineye

Yes I was encouraged. I wondered if there was an air transport problem, but it only had to come down from Droitwich. As a result of the complaint, I got my only message from seller, who said it is held up in the Netherlands.

But on the advert it said 10 in stock & 3 sold so that wasn't true. All he had to do was tell me or at least respond to my emails.

The annoying thing was that it was a present for my wife's horsebox, as it is our wedding anniversary. A date I try not to forget & curiously is also Hiltler's birthday :shake:

• 1 month later...

The one I got from Jack has been requisitioned by my wife for her horsebox. She is none too interested in seeing what is behind her, the camera is set up to watch what the horse is doing in transit.

So I have had to buy a system for myself. I have fitted it to the Shorland. It is very dark inside the cab & the screen shows up well. The problem is that a vehicle that is 10ft behind looks to be about 30ft behind. When it is 30ft behind is is a very tiny image that I can only see with reading glasses.

I find it quite worrying that these very near vehicles appear much further away than they really are. Do others get this problem or is it just the price I have to pay for having a relatively good "fish eye" coverage?

It is one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-Night-View-Parking-Reversing-Mini-Colour-Camera-N-/370257840052?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56351647b4

The problem is that a vehicle that is 10ft behind looks to be about 30ft behind. When it is 30ft behind is is a very tiny image that I can only see with reading glasses.

I find it quite worrying that these very near vehicles appear much further away than they really are. Do others get this problem or is it just the price I have to pay for having a relatively good "fish eye" coverage?

The one I have does suffer from this effect, but it is not really a defect because it is sold as a reversing/parking camera, the fish eye lens gives a wide field of view and at reversing speeds is very good. You should soon get used to it, I find that I can now see I have a tail gater (obviously mesmerised by the gorgeous Cummins sound) not visible in the mirrors and can make allowances.

Since fitting it I have amazed unsuspecting onlookers with my ability to back onto my trailer inch perfect fist time, :cool: worth every penny!

it is the inherent problem with these systems - the cameras have to be fish eye to meet their design purpose for reversing use.

I did ask about a "normal" camera but the importer said no one makes them for these sort of systems, ie 12/24v - you can get them for household security use at 240v but that's a lot of faff to convert the system to use them

Hi.

The system I have fitted on my mobile workshop van is 12 or 24 volt. It has

microphone, and day & night vision. I bought it off flea bay i think for £60. Best

thing l've bought for the van and so easy to use with hocking up on to a trailer.

I forgot to say that it can be used for Left or right hand drive vehicles by changing

a switch on the screen.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Edited by protruck

• 1 month later...
it is the inherent problem with these systems - the cameras have to be fish eye to meet their design purpose for reversing use.

I did ask about a "normal" camera but the importer said no one makes them for these sort of systems, ie 12/24v - you can get them for household security use at 240v but that's a lot of faff to convert the system to use them

I've improved the situation a bit. I was using a 3.5in screen, now got one which is 7in. So images are now twice the size. The small screen had no adjustments, but the larger one I can set the brightness & contrast more favourably.

I was going to just buy the 7in monitor but for £10 extra I could get a camera as well. It looked rather different so I thought I would give it try. Mounted the cameras next to each other under the rear body. The new monitor can switch between 2 inputs, so I could make very close comparisons.

Unlike the first camera, the new camera showed none of the chassis of my vehicle, so presumably was less fish eye. This was confirmed by my test target 15 ft away was twice as large, still not as large as I would like. But with the larger screen objects are now 4 times larger.

Although I have a low voltage more linear little camera, it's output is to a UHF modulator & I can see no obvious way of extracting a straight video output. But at least I've now got a more useful system to be going on with.

fv 432 one keeps blowing the control box, but they work beautifully on road...you can see who is doing something stupid behind you like trying to pass you up the inside or outside as your turning one way or another...great for changing lanes too

I'll be looking at one of these for my FV432, too. I think the best way to power them is to use a 12V unit and feed it from a 24V-12V converter like the one that Maplin make. That way it will be protected from any thumps and bumps on the 24V supply.

Andy