Wheel nut question WW2 .

tim gray

Hi guys,

Bit of a mixed bag of spanners , does anyone know if the different vehicles within the brit forces had a standardised wheel nut and stud arrangement, less quantity per vehicle of course.

The wheel studs are OK on my Morris PU but the wheel nuts themselves are getting kind of tired. Would the wheel nuts from...say an MW fit ? Ive got the morris part numbers i could post, unfortunatley the x Ref at the back of the manual does not list the actuall size or thread :-(

Any steering in the right direction for a dealer who could help would be appreciated, or if it comes to it, the thread used and i can see if i could get any made up.

One positive is that after the sidewall blew out on one of my 9x13 tyres i have found a set of four 16 inch rims that match the way the smaller ones were manufactured and fit the hubs exactly. Just need to source some rubber for them.

Regards

Tim

Hello tim,

I know for sure the morris wheel nuts and bedford are different, the morris ones are a smaller size across flats, but i think they are the same thread. I think the wheel nuts on a guy ant are similar. I'm sure someone will have some morris ones kicking about.

Edited by rippo

Hi Rippo,

Cheers for that snippet of info, if they are the same thread and obtainable it might be worth getting one and seeing how it seats. I wont get stressed about about a slight difference in the actuall head size as long as the taper seats properly.

Managed to hit the shed today and hit it with the thread gauge...7/16 W. 1/2W ring spanner fits the wheel nut.

Have to get digging.

Regards

Tim

Just a small comment. A Morris PU has 900x13 wheels and an MW has 900x16 wheels. I have 900x13 and 900x16 wheels on my 2 vehicles and the wheel nuts are different and not interchangable. I believe wheels nuts are common on all 15cwts, but a Morris PU is an 8cwt vehicle. Could be worth checking out the details before going any further.

WOA2,

I will certainly confirm prior to anything drastic or laying out cash, reason i was asking is that with morris doing a range of vehicles within the seperate classes "hopefully" some standardisation took place ( hopefully being the operative word with most brit stuff ending up bench fitted and forced fit.)

A lot of cross use of electrical items, switches and so forth..... perhaps an element of the same with aotomotive parts such as studs etc. Interesting exercise.

As stated in earlier post i suspect i shall end up on 16" rims for a good while as i cannot trust the 9x13 tyres,

measuring the 7.50x16 i have fitted currently, the curcumference is near as dammit the same as the 9x13 so adjustment of speedo etc would not be required.

Hi guys,

Bit of a mixed bag of spanners , does anyone know if the different vehicles within the brit forces had a standardised wheel nut and stud arrangement, less quantity per vehicle of course.

The wheel studs are OK on my Morris PU but the wheel nuts themselves are getting kind of tired. Would the wheel nuts from...say an MW fit ? Ive got the morris part numbers i could post, unfortunatley the x Ref at the back of the manual does not list the actuall size or thread :-(

Any steering in the right direction for a dealer who could help would be appreciated, or if it comes to it, the thread used and i can see if i could get any made up.

One positive is that after the sidewall blew out on one of my 9x13 tyres i have found a set of four 16 inch rims that match the way the smaller ones were manufactured and fit the hubs exactly. Just need to source some rubber for them.

Regards

Tim

MY Bedford OXC which has the same front axle as the MW has 5/8 BSF right and left hand thread wheel nuts, Know this as i made a load of new ones. weren't to expensive either. only difference is the new nuts are made from Metric Hex bar!!!!

don't know if that is any help?