Former USAAF Burtonwood Control Tower Demolished by...

N.O.S.

Yes, you guessed it - our friend Fred Dibnah. Not that I admire him any the less for it - someone had to do it :cool2:

A big futuristic-looking concrete tower - anybody got any pictures or info on the date this tower was built? Could it have been post war?

Thanks Dave. Yes, it was the tall concrete post war USAF MATS tower which was demolished by Fred in the '80's - I found a photo in a book on him, showing it at 45 degrees with one of his pit prop / tyre fires blazing well!!

Some of the shots of Fred show him drilling holes in his 'pit props'. Knowing his dislike of the 'dynamite men' it would be brave of me to suggest that he sometimes blew the props apart, but such a method would result in far more control of the demolition.

Some of the shots of Fred show him drilling holes in his 'pit props'. Knowing his dislike of the 'dynamite men' it would be brave of me to suggest that he sometimes blew the props apart, but such a method would result in far more control of the demolition.

Maybe to weaken the props in the direction of fall? As in chopping down trees, always make a low cut, in the side that you want it to go.

Edited by Pete

• 5 years later...

You may have heard of the newest book from Narwal (Frituur Zorro):

ALL ALONG THE CONTROL TOWER - OUT NOW!

A photobook about remaining wartime control towers in the UK

The book contains 103 hi-quality photographs of 52 remaining control towers at RAF airfields in the UK (and one Luftwaffe tower in the Netherlands).

The photographic survey is also supported by the stories of the situation in which they are found. Together with geographical co-ordinates, OS-reference and Google Earth images they are easy to find or visited.

All info and how to purchase this wonderful book at:

http://www.controltowers.eu

Book.jpg