Spitfire Pictures.

mike65

Don't let the owners see that you've posted the pic of H98 after the mishap as they weren't happy the last time that pics were posted on a forum! You will notice that it's the same Spit as in one of the pics I posted and the pilot is a friend.

DSC_0666.jpg

I think this is my favourite Spitfire picture that I have taken over the years. Unlike most of the other pic's in this thread, it gives an aerial advantage for the photographer! It rather looks like the Kent 'Garden of England' below during wartime with the coast in the distance, but in actual fact it is Suffolk in the summer of 2008! It could almost pass for a female ferry pilot going about her daily duties, but as many will know, it is actually Carolyn Grace, up from Bentwaters, Suffolk in her trusty Spit of many years.

DSC_0445-1.jpg

I also quite like this shot as well of Peter Teichman, owner of the Hangar 11 Collection at North Weald, dropping in for some lunch at Maurice Hammond's airstrip in Norfolk on a Sunday lunchtime in 2008 - He must have heard the kettle boiling!

Edited by M5Clive

Anyone knows if Spits were flown off/on decks or was this just for trial?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24023[/ATTACH]

If it has an arrestor hook it is a Seafire, not a Spitfire. Seafire was the carrier based variant. They saw much action.

Spitfires were flown from Carriers but it wasn't normal to try and land them back on board. Many Spitfires were delivered to beseiged Malta, from the decks of carriers.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7708-May-9th-1942&highlight=spitfire+malta