non trans numberplate

yeh thats what i was wondering cause i saw a ad for ww2 jeep reg 1964 and it made a point of saying that reg was transferable.

If the jeep was registered in 1964, then it would not have been an age-related number, these did not occur until around the 1970's, when blocks of unused numbers were issued.

Even the newer age related are non transferable my 101 YKO706S is marked non transferable.

It's the older age related that are transferable. So many vehicles were either registered by number plate dealers, or bought by them just to rob the plate, that DVLA decided it was time to piss on their bonfire, and from then on in any subsequent age related plates became non-tranferable.

Arguably, the DVLA's policy has protected a lot of vehicles.

Number plate dealers used to buy up vehicles purely for the plates, but had little regard for the vehicles themselves. Many were scrapped or just left to rot.

Since it has been made more difficult, classic vehicles are more likely to end up in sympathetic hands.

Edited by Johnny

Makes sense to me- People were buying a vehicle with a nice plate, selling the plate and getting a new age related one for the nominal fee for a re- reg, if that was a nice one they were selling that too. Can't blame the DVLA for not wanting to give away free money.

I think the whole dateless plates on later cars/ personalised plate thing is silly anyway, but this is liable to turn into an off topic rant so I'll be quiet now...

I do know of a 101 with the reg UZI101 which I thought was quite cool though.