Croft Circuit Nostalgia Weekend - 7th & 8th August 2010

It was actually fairly busy, but it's such a huge site, the people soon spread out, so it doesn't really look it. While I'm sure the circuit would have liked standing room only, as a photographer, I got everywhere I wanted without having to fight my way to see, or have random people walk in front during filming.

I must have walked miles visiting the various different areas. My feet are killing me!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This picture shows the old main runway where the racing competitors and MV's were. It was taken from one of the track viewing banks. There's a small gap of grass in the middle that soon filled up with day visitors who didn't camp over.

None of the circuit is visible in the picture as it is behind the camera and to the right, so out of shot are all the classic car enclosures, the marquee for the dance and fashion show, and pit area.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

I know what you meen, don`t know how many laps we did..........Hats off to those who organised the event though, also loved the flying displays, the Hawker Hart? put on a great display. Missed the lap by the MV`s, would have liked to see that...next time I guess:D

I'm at work today, but I promise I'll spend tonight sorting and posting photos. Here's one of the start of a race, looking along the start/finish straight. We had a couple of showers on Saturday which made the track slippery and racing interesting.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

As Steve says this was an absolutely brilliant weekend, A small issue with the half track when it decided to stop for a smoke but soon came round and no further problems on the way. Managed to watch the Historic saloon race on Saturday which was great fun but that was it for the racing apart from a gentle competition on the 2nd lap of Sunday's parade. Sorry if I cut anybody up but some back seat drivers made me do it and then the red mist came down.:drive::trustme: However it did bring back some very happy memories of Rufforth and Elvington in the sixties. I did rather expect at least a rap over the knuckles from the stewards but masquerading as an oily mechanic must have put them off the scent:D

Roll on next year.I foresee a severe pain in the wallet for Ken as the tread on the Polsten's tyres decided to wave goodbye to the carcases on the way back and the Dodge was also a little recalcitrant and I had to tow it onto the grass verge, might have been interesting if plod had put in an appearance, Land Rover towing jeep on trailer with WC62 on a rope behind that with a jeep on its a frame behind the Dodge. Got to say the Defender even surprised me, pulled everything quite happily without using the difflock and on tickover!

Saturday evenings dance was very successful or rather the whisky drinking session was, I had another new baby's head to wet as the family were presented with a new grandson Just after midnight on Saturday morning. Following an early finish to the dance we repaired to the camp and of course needed a little refreshment after the walk back. Ken was busy with his famous fried Spam sandwiches but I have to say I preferred my appointment with A bottle of Calvados and the inevitable Malt.:nut: All in all a great weekend, so much more happened but I will leave other's to expand on that however I must say thanks to Ken (Kpu) for his generosity and the cameraderie amongst the group all weekend.

What a 'good do', nice and relaxed. It was nice (like Elvington) that the organisers greeted us on arrival, showed us to the pitch and checked in over the weekend to make sure that we were OK. The halftrack survived having the cover from the coil box fall off and drop down to the side of the starter solenoid - resulting it a few very hot wires. The solder getting hot enough to drop out of the main battery lead and the cover to get hot enough to melt the top of the fuel pump cover! We fixed it though and got there which was the main thing. The Dodge was fixed for the return trip by us taking bits off it until it started working again - using Degsy's spanners. Confusion resulted by each spanner being put away after use - which meant there was a suggestion that they had gone missing......... She is due for a major refit once the 353 is on the road.

Degsy, it was a pleasure to have you with us, the lads really enjoyed it - as did we. The images in the tent just precede German No2 giving in to the evil of Allied spam at nearly stupid o'clock... Unfortunately i then fell asleep face forward, with my boots still on, with my feet sticking out of the tent.

All i can say is that this was a great weekend, and i think a really clever idea combining it with the racing event - so there was something for everybody going on. The parade lap around the racing circut must have been quite a sight - i almost wish i had been a spectator rather than a parcticipant.... The Trouble Shooters will be back next year unless we were too dirty and smelly this year...... I'm not sure we were suitably attired for the dance - but we were there.

Much fun was had watching Jack's pals trying to fit the 160lb tent in to it's bag - which seemed to entail them sitting on each other, on the tent and folding the valise around themselves....

The polsten tyre is a nusinance, but it proved that there are still some good people about by Deryck finding someone with a secure compound for us to leave it in until we can sort it out. They were original 44 dated tyres so we due to meet their maker anyway.

We never got round to setting up the field telephone exchange or some of the other 'attractions' so roll on next year!

A really good do which i would recommend to anyone within striking distance.

Ken