International Harvester Half Tracks

Captain Crank

Harry,

Thanks for posting.

Where was that track used and what was it used for?

that looks like a REME fitters vehicle. I remember seeing one in Catterick (mobile!) in 1968 - made a racket! There's also one, in not such good codition, at Headcorn Airfield, nr Maidstone in Kent.

Hi,

Here is the official REME museum blurb about half -tracks:-

In the early 1950s REME began to refine its doctrine of forward repair. This held that, in suitable battlefield circumstances, it was simpler to carry out major maintenance or repairs where a vehicle stood, rather than to laboriously tow or carry it back to a workshop site. This concept was particularly appropriate for engine and gearbox changes. Also gun barrel changes to tanks, where a new or repaired assembly could be taken to and swapped ‘in situ'.

Some workshops were already using half tracks in similar roles but most depended on other vehicles to lift out the major tank assemblies. In the British Army of the Rhine a standard crane was designed to fit the front of the half track, using its front mounted winch to carry out the lift. An earlier type of crane for this vehicle used tubular steel poles hinged at the base. These cranes could be stowed at an angle, leaning back to the hull of the half track. But they got in the way of the canopy and in some instances snagged power lines and tramway overhead cables. The better and later universal version of this crane used a folding ‘A' frame, the top of which stowed flat and level with the top of the half track's cab.

The body of the vehicle was originally intended to carry the replacement tank engine, but this left no room for the repair crew and their equipment and stores. The solution was a one ton trailer, which could just carry a crated engine, leaving the interior of the vehicle for crew, tools, minor stores, etc. Soon half tracks were being fitted with sheet metal bodies extending well above the armoured sides and fitted out as workshop-cum-caravans. Few REME tradesmen would forego personal comfort when personal ingenuity could provide it. Some half tracks for a time retained the canvas top but most eventually were converted to metal tops all to a similar design. The vehicles were superseded in the early 1970s by the FV 434 fully tracked fitters vehicle.

What they fail to say is that we,the REME fitters, lived in those vehicles probably about six months every year up until the early 70`s.

We did make them as comfortable as possible, with bunk beds, (4), floor coverings, ( normally sheet rubber as it could be washed), reading lights, an electric shaving point, ( cannabilised from some radio set, it upped the 24v to 240v with just enough power to run a razor ) and here was even one that boasted a stove with gypsy like chimney.

The beds were mounted on "U" type brackets on the sides, with chains coming down from the roof. This way they could be stowed out of the way during the day. The trouble with them was that the "U" brackets were not very big, so if you leant too hard on the side when getting in, the bed did a quick roll and you ended on the floor. The secret was to slide in from one end. Some people, especially after a few bevvies, never seemed to get the hang of it, and ended up sleeping on the petrol tanks instead.

Driving one of those beasts was an adventure all on its own, as peering through that slit of a windscreen, with twelve feet of jib in front of the bumper, you were lethal. In fact I once ripped the whole side of a woofer,( slang for German lorry and trailer) when trying to come out of a blind junction.

For people who have never seen inside the cab, as you got in, watching that the armoured door did not bash you on the back of your knees, you were confronted with five levers spread across the floor.

The first lever was the winch "in and out" lever, then came the hand brake, then a strangely "S" shaped lever for the gears. Across the other side of the cab floor was, ( and here my memory is a bit dodgy)the low range lever, and then, out of reach of any normal being, the four wheel drive lever, generally operated by your mate.

We also carried all the tools for all major assembly changes, as well as spare oil, water, and frequently rations for stranded tankies. There was even a full size welding and cutting gear on board, and a thirty gallon tank for coolant.

Since the half track was virtually at the end of its service, several unofficial modifications were, if not sanctioned, allowed. One of the favorite ones was to replace the drivers seat with something a bit more comfortable, and favorite for this was the seat and steering wheel from an Opel Record. Also a semi comfortable seat was made to rest for the centre of the cab, for the radio operator. He had to be there as no-one could hear him over the noise.

The winch lever had a little gate at the bottom which locked it in posotion when travelling. Unfertunately, with lots of use , this lock used to wear, and many a track has gone down the road spooling out its winch rope as the lever had been knocked into gear by a stray knee.

I should explain that the winch worked by putting the vehicle gearbox in neutral, putting the winch lever forwards or backwards, and controlling the winch by the clutch lever. This was a nightmare for the driver when lifting or lowering any assembly, as you sat there with the clutch pushed in for hours , waiting for a half-heard shout of " Up a gnats!" or other muffled command. Woe betide you if you got it wrong!

And most of the time you could not see either the assembly or the people working on or under it!

With some jobs, like a Cent engine change, taking up to three days, the drivers leg muscles were magnificent!

One of the most daunting times was loading the track onto a tank transporter. You were guided in to position by the transporter driver, in those days they weree either Russian or Polish, and then as the front lifted all you could see was sky until you came down with a hell of a bang to see this little man frantically waving his arms.

I must say thougth I drove a half track for about six years and I never was in any danger of getting stuck, in spite of one nervous lad putting his in a ditch, and I then had to drive it to the nearest bridge and get it out by driving up the bridge support. Also they had enough power to "bump" start Centurions.

On most of the wagons self centring steering was a joke, but this did mean that by putting it in first gear , setting the hand throttle, and full lock, you could get out and let your wagon go round you forever!

One advantage that has served me well up until this dayis that we carriefd our assembleys in a one ton Sankey trailer, and it quickly taught you all about reversing a trailer in all kinds of conditions.

I actually was the unfortunate person who done the demonstration against the 434, but we lost!!!:undecided:

Sorry for rabitting on, but I will be back on Soltau tonight , filthy, tired, with a bottle of Amstel in my mitt, and tnen I will wake up!!!

• 1 year later...

Hello Richard

Yes I have, im using the M5 halftrack chassis. It still needs a little work but nothing like the M14 one. The M14 chassis is scrap, it is so far gone its not worth investing the time and money in doing it. As you can tell by the pictures in have stripped what was left of the M5 down to its chassis. I have a few more thing to remove before repairing the front end and sandblasting. The front axle and springs are off now, im going to take the running gear off too before sandblasting, then its clean bits up and start rebuilding and hopefully do a few shows next year as a running chassis.

Jamie

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...