Proposed MOT regulations VEHICLE LIST

For definitions you need to refer to the acts, not a dictionary. I cannot get into discussionwith you for reasons I have already outlined in various PM's. If you seek clarification, follow my advice and contact VOSA, DVLA/DfT.

<sigh>

I asked a perfectly serious question about a type of vehicle that is nothing whatsoever to do with me - and all I get is a sarcastic reply and a veiled reference to matters being dealt with in private by the owner and mods.. I suppose I should have known better than to bother. :banghead:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<sigh>

I asked a perfectly serious question about a type of vehicle that is nothing whatsoever to do with me - and all I get is a sarcastic reply and a veiled reference to matters being dealt with in private by the owner and mods.. I suppose I should have known better than to bother. :banghead:

No vieled messages Neil, (What I wrote means simply I have already told you via PM why I am not getting into discussion with you, no more, no less ) and I have given you a perfectly straightforward answer to this question. Namely forget the dictionary, go look at the legal definitions. That is all I can do.

The Mods are not involved in anyway in MY decision not to go off at a Tangent, down a blind alley. I have a task to achieve, and nobody needs to know with respect to FV432 series what a load is, because by any definition 432 does not fit into any category in C and U or Special types, therefore we should not be talking about it.

I am trying to work for the good of everyone, I have no personal agenda, I am picking on no-one. I find accusations of vieled references, statements that you should have known better than you bother,accusations of sarcasm and banged head smileys offensive.

I would like an appology. If that is not forthcoming I am sorry but I am just going to totally ignore you and your posts. I point out that I reluctanly took on this role, becuase no-one else was there. I did not initiate anything, I was asked to do this, and I at first was unwilling and it took some persuation, before I decided I would takeup the challenge.

I am not some favourite of the Mods who gets special favours or treatment from the Mods, I do not go running to them for support or backup, but frankly everyone is fed up with your rants, and I am not prepared to talk to you about this. I have given you my advice. I can do no more. I am not here to be the Butt of your anger.

Edited by antarmike

<sigh>

That's enough Neil... please trake this back to PM as requested

If somebody would like to give me the details on size, weight, width tech spec etc of a Stalwart, i will ask VOSA what the present definition is and how do i get such a vehicle registered for use on the road.

I will then post response here, and then we have the "Fact" from VOSA and how you can apply that fact to the present consultation parameters.

Unless one of the many Alvis Stalwart owners with a vested interest is prepared to do this, preferably before the consultation period is over and done with!!

I like Stalwarts and i think it would be a shame not to find out how to keep these on the road.

If somebody would like to give me the details on size, weight, width tech spec etc of a Stalwart, i will ask VOSA what the present definition is and how do i get such a vehicle registered for use on the road.

I will then post response here, and then we have the "Fact" from VOSA and how you can apply that fact to the present consultation parameters.

Unless one of the many Alvis Stalwart owners with a vested interest is prepared to do this, preferably before the consultation period is over and done with!!

I like Stalwarts and i think it would be a shame not to find out how to keep these on the road.

I believe it out of the scope of this topic. If you want to find out and put it elsewhere on the board, okay. But I don't think this subject relates to these proposals, since Stalwart id NOT in a category affected by these changes.

This thread is with respect to removal of MOT exemption from 10 classes of HGV currently exempt. It is not about registering a road vehicle.

Your question and the answer you recieve properly belongs in this thread

"Registering and taxing aging MVs"

Edited by antarmike

I believe it out of the scope of this topic. If you want to find out and put it elsewhere on the board, okay. But I don't think this subject relates to these proposals, since Stalwart id NOT in a category affected by these changes.

This thread is with respect to removal of MOT exemption from 10 classes of HGV currently exempt. It is not about registering a road vehicle.

Your question and the answer you recieve properly belongs in this thread

"Registering and taxing aging MVs"

Roger that, will PM

PM sent Adam.

Hi,

I have 4 vehicles that would possibly be affected by this;

Hagglunds BV206

Man 8x8 taxed as recovery

Foden 6x6 Wrecker taxed as recovery

and dare i say it stalwart

nick

Okay, I didn't think we had any Recovery vehicles paying "Revovery" V.E.D. I may have to ammend my draft letter....

Is there any reason why it would be difficult to test either the M.A.N. or the Foden? If it is entirely reasonable that a vehicle can be tested, then it is hard to argue for an exemption, particularly for a modern vehicle.

I am presuming that your use of recovery vehicles matches the criteria for being in this category, namely the vehicles are only used to recover broken down vehicles, and for the shortest distance possible. I.e. not used for attending Vehicle rallies and shows, and other S.D. & P. use.

To be taxed as recovery these conditions outlined in the 1994 Vehicle Excise and Registration act must all apply:-

Part V

Recovery vehicles

5 (1) The annual rate of vehicle excise duty applicable to a recovery vehicle is £85.

(2) In sub-paragraph (1)“recovery vehicle” means a vehicle which is constructed or permanently adapted primarily for any one or more of the purposes of lifting, towing and transporting a disabled vehicle.

(3) A vehicle is not a recovery vehicle if at any time it is used for a purpose other than—

(a) the recovery of a disabled vehicle,

(b) the removal of a disabled vehicle from the place where it became disabled to premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped,

© the removal of a disabled vehicle from premises to which it was taken for repair to other premises at which it is to be repaired or scrapped,

(d) carrying fuel and other liquids required for its propulsion and tools and other articles required for the operation of, or in connection with, apparatus designed to lift, tow or transport a disabled vehicle, and

(e) any purpose prescribed for the purposes of this sub-paragraph by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

(4) At any time when a vehicle is being used for either of the purposes specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of sub-paragraph (3), use for—

(a) the carriage of a person who, immediately before the vehicle became disabled, was the driver of or a passenger in the vehicle,

(b) the carriage of any goods which, immediately before the vehicle became disabled, were being carried in the vehicle, or

© any purpose prescribed for the purposes of this sub-paragraph by regulations made by the Secretary of State,

shall be disregarded in determining whether the vehicle is a recovery vehicle.

(5) A vehicle is not a recovery vehicle if at any time the number of vehicles which it is used to recover exceeds a number specified for the purposes of this sub-paragraph by an order made by the Secretary of State.

The fact that they are in commercial usage, and presumably earning money each time they go out on a recovery job, makes it hard to argue for retaining MOT exemption on the grounds of cost to a private invidual.

Presumably if you have two vehicles registered as recovery you are running a reasonable sized operation, so it is difficult to argue that these vehicles are "only used on the road on rare occasions" and that it about the only other arguement I can think to use.

Can you detail the drive line of these vehicles, can they be brake tested on a rolling road? I need more information on use, how often on the road etc?

Is the BV206 within the width limit of 2.55m, the width limit for "Any other vehicle"? If so it is currently MOT exempt as a "Tracklaying Vehicle" and will continue to be so if the consulation document goes forward to an act in its present form. I have the width as 1.86m is this correct, if so within legal width and complies Track laying vehicle, C and U compliant, therefore exempt, with no plans to change.

Re Stalwart I suggest you read N.O.S. excellent thread,

"Special Types Vehicle Problems - A Possible Solution?"

This seems to be the best hope of using Stalwart legally on the road. It seems to me that N.O.S. has come up with a possible solution, but of course the outcome of an application is far from certain. It certainly seems worth a try.

Edited by antarmike

• 1 month later...