101 Land Rover

Hi Chaps / Chapetts.

Would some of you very knowledgable people please point me in the right direction for lubricants for the 101 Land Rover.

No manuals as yet so fumbling in the dark.

I have heard of engine oil (20W50) being used in the engine, gearbox and transfer box as the EP oils are too thick due to the pump.

EP will give problems to brass fittings but that is a GL5 oil - not a GL4.

I'm happy to use 20W50 but would appreciate some direction in other areas - unless anyone knows better.

Many thanks

Markheliops

I've just been through the Military Land Rover 101 1Tonne forward control , user manual and repair operation maual. I can tell you all the quantitys, the inside measurment of the cats back leg. BUT not what the oils acually are!! :argh:One thing though, if you change engine oil and filter you MUST prime the oil pump. To do this remove bottom plate and pack between the drive cogs with Vasaline. I kid you not!!

ISBN number for user manual 1 85520 1437 For repair manual 1 85520 139 9 Any book shop should be able to order for you off those numbers.

or I got mine from Brookland books. Can't paste link just shove in search engine

Edited by Tony B

Thank you kindly chaps -

Unusual about the packing of the oil pump Tony.

I had a 3.5 V8 Range Rover many moons ago and I remember having to do that when I overhauled the oil pump.

I picked up this 101 Land Rover yesterday for a couple of reasons.

I am about to do some major moving of items soon and this was ideal for the tasks in hand.

I also knew who owned the vehicle and I think I purchased it for a reasonable price.

Image0115.jpg

Image0116.jpg

Have always liked the 101 but they were always for too expensive for a run-around vehicle.

After I have finished with it - I may well decide to keep it or pass it on - who knows?

I think it's a cool vehicle.

Markheliops

Yes. Engine oil in the gearbox!

I believe many have been ruined by putting in EP809/90 oil which is too thick for the internal oil pump. Results in seizure of internal parts and difficulty in changing gear.

May I suggest an LPG kit for your 101. Make it affordable to run and you may keep it for longer.

Also the Nokken winch is a good accessory if you can find one, but limits room along the chassis rail for lpg tank.

I think the 101 / Ward La France combination is becoming popular.

I've just been through the Military Land Rover 101 1Tonne forward control , user manual and repair operation maual. I can tell you all the quantitys, the inside measurment of the cats back leg. BUT not what the oils acually are!!

But Tony you wouldn't normally expect to find such information in military publications like those. Servicing info is normally contained in the Servicing Schedule because servicing requirements may be subject to change & in particular POLs may be superceded. A Servicing Schedule is a stand alone authority for all the servicing tasks for the equipment. Being a small flimsey unbound document it was relatively easy to reprint without the difficulties of amending a formal document like a parts book or user handbook.

I have lost the front page to this one but I attach Table 1 just to verify what it applies to.

App2068.jpg

App2067.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Nice looking 101 Mark, Cant beat the exhaust note. Love mine to bits.

Engine oil in the engine, gearbox and transfer box. Ep90 for the diffs, swivel housings and steering box.

Best thing to fit if you can find one is an overdrive from a Rangerover classic. Makes crusing speed alot more enjoyable and helps spread the gearing when used as a spliter on hills.

Mark, Mike does not really fit in a 101. I have had 2 (3 but 1 was a non-runner) and he was never comfortable in one!

Definitely engine oil in the gearbox, transfer I used to have EP80/90 in. If the front swivels are a bit leaky then put the Land Rover 1 shot grease in them.

The funny noise you will here on overrun (like the front diff is about to expire) is normal, so don't worry about it.