Vulcan Takes off at NE Aircraft Museum January 9th 2010

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most things, easy if you have loads of money, but not if you don't. Not sure hiring a large crane is an option, and not actually sure what load it would have to be able to carry. If a local company offered their services for the publicity, it's probably an option, but for now, we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

I quite like the way it sit at the moment, can they not prop it up and leave it like that. All it needs is the bombdoors open and a stonking great bomb inside and jackpot, one stunning gateguard. If not, can you not get hold of ten fat blokes to sit on it and then get of one at a time. HEHEHE

Ps, last man of may need a Parachute......

Tony

Shame, mind you allowing the public to sit in the hot seat and paying for the oppitunity is a great idea. The aircraft is almost paying for its own restoration. Wounder how many people would like to sit in my Lightwieght so I could finally get it finished...

4fvgdaq_th.gif

Ps Would it be ok to use the pictures on the Plain Military forum???

Tony

Edited by plainmilitary

Yes, posting elsewhere is fine as they have the picture credit on them. I've had a number of requests to share them around. It's not every day you see something like that, so it's nice for as many people as possible to see them. The snow is melting fast here, and even the following day, large areas of the wings had lost their snow. I'm just really pleased I got there with a camera when I did.

The Vulcan was safely lowered to the ground today. I'll post a couple of pictures here, but if you want to see the whole story, follow the link to the NEAM forum, starting about half way down the page - NEAM Vulcan Thread

Hydraulic Jacks to lift the tail

Vulcan4.jpg

A monster crane

Vulcan11.jpg

Taking the strain

Vulcan14.jpg

The media looks on

Vulcan15.jpg

Lowering

Vulcan16.jpg

Touchdown

Vulcan17.jpg

The damage

Vulcan7.jpg

Vulcan19.jpg

Vulcan21.jpg

and once down, I got into the cockpit

Vulcan25.jpg

Vulcan27.jpg

The damage doesn't look too bad, pretty simple frame and stringer repairs with not bad access but trying to either get replacement frame sections or repair angles manufactured and fitted will be the expensive bit, not to mention chuffing cold doing the repair outside at the moment. Good luck to the restore-ers but its a shame it will slow them down on restoring the rest of the airframe. Great pics by the way.