Muir Hill

are there any of the Muir Hill loader / back acter / winch machines preserved in private hands and anyone got pics of them to post?

R

Robin,

The Muir Hill A5000.......don't know of any in preservation, but I used to do a lot of work on the army ones when they were in service. A useful and compact machine. The 4 in 1 bucket could be swapped for pallet forks and Boughton winch changed for a Massey Fergusson 220 backacter. Alan has posted some pics here, but not the first one, that is a Hymac excavator less boom.

There are a load of loaders at the loyd loaders workshop that are ripe for restoation. Think they are near bradford.http://www.muir-hill.com/ It may look like a large company but he is a one man band mainly selling parts for the tractors. Nice bloke though

• 4 months later...
are there any of the Muir Hill loader / back acter / winch machines preserved in private hands and anyone got pics of them to post?

R

Robin,

About 6 years ago I bough the last ex military 'Molly' the Muir Hill A5000 Mk 2 from Withams. It was in excellent condition with only 1500 hours. I used it for a time, but then sold it to a collector in Ireland.

I kept it in good order & under cover. I also obtained the army operating information book/user handbook (Army code No. 22296 issue 2) which provides every details & image imaginable relating to these machines. It also covers the Boughton winch and the 'field training section'.

if anyone is restoring a Muir Hill A5000, I would happily provide a copy for a modest fee. (Lots of pages)

A couple of my pics added.

Muir Hill 1.jpg

Muir Hill 2.jpg

A few pages from the manual I referred to above.

Robin,

About 6 years ago I bough the last ex military 'Molly' the Muir Hill A5000 Mk 2 from Withams. It was in excellent condition with only 1500 hours. I used it for a time, but then sold it to a collector in Ireland.

I kept it in good order & under cover. I also obtained the army operating information book/user handbook (Army code No. 22296 issue 2) which provides every details & image imaginable relating to these machines. It also covers the Boughton winch and the 'field training section'.

if anyone is restoring a Muir Hill A5000, I would happily provide a copy for a modest fee. (Lots of pages)

A couple of my pics added.

Muir Hill 1.jpg

Muir Hill 6.jpg

Muir Hill 5.jpg

Muir Hill 4.jpg

Muir Hill 2.jpg

Muir Hill 3.jpg

Hey Stormin i tried to register with that classic machinery site and when i submit it keeps returning to the register page and if i made a mistake etc it certainly tells me nothing, any ideas whats happening as i can find no details to contact anyone on the site

cheers

Les

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I Cannot say I have ever seen a Muir Hill, in preservation, but I do believe the National Coal Board had a few way back in the day. I have found a few photos of the Royal Engineers at play that you might like to see, in particular the armoured version which as you can imagine makes for quite interesting driving with all that weight on one side.

I wonder if this is why they called it a TILT trailer!!

Bucket Loader.

Or Forklift

This one has been camouflaged to look like a JCB, for use on the streets of Ireland, when the Army was pretending not to be the Army.:D

Finally, formation dancing team, Salisbury Plain Circa 1979.

Muir Hill and Hauli.jpg

Muir Hill Loading.jpg

Hauli and Tilt.jpg

Muir Hill A5000.jpg

Civvy Muir Hill.jpg

Muir Hill Formation.jpg

Was it a case perhaps that they also used a armoured engine shroud to balance the added weight of the armoured cab ? or perhaps a bolted on ballast weight underneath the engine ?

Spent years using these puppies and unfortunatley no balance weights etc, even the normal ones were quite exciting at times dependant upon ground being covered :D

9 para modified thiers for air movment in various ways by A, removing the cab entirely and wrapping the remainder in swaths of heavy plastic and black masking tape, or another version i saw had its head cut off with a stile saw( the guy did at least find a bit of rubber trim to dress the top edge)

They were actually quite good and a very strong machine, the replacement we found to become rather bent when trying to dig stuff in. It would have benifitted from some snap fit connectors for changing ancils on the front end ( blanking plugs always go adrift from your tool kit)

336 lbs ft for the wheel nut torque, funny how the useless stuff sticks in yer head!

I shall now drift off into memory lane and dribble in a corner

Regards

Tim

Thanks for the details , The details that stick with you are the ones you have the most regular use of over a period of time ,either you committ it to memory or have to keep looking it up again and again . Might seem trivial to you but its new and interesting to me .

No Probs at all ABN,

Will try to find where all my pics have legged it , have various of bits of plant etc from different locations and timescales. Mollies, 72/51 terex, D6D, graders et al.

Last place i know off that was still running a muirhill was in south georgia. Had a hell of a time when i lost hydraulics, broke down right on the end of the jetty. Turned out that it actually had an adaptor piece in the drive from the transmission to the hyd pump. Not mentioned in the manuals and not shown in the ISPL. That was a fun teletype conversation with the falkland island fitters, trying to get across what i wanted them to send down to me.

IIRC it was eventually drained of all fuel and oils, loaded onto the navy ship and hoisted into the south atlantic halfway to the falklands. Some poor bloke in a mini sub will be scratching his head one day.

Regards

Tim

• 2 years later...

R

Yes I do have a Muir hill Mc3 A5000 with Massey Ferguson back actor, i will post some pics, and it`s for sale:shocked:

• 3 months later...

Favorite game everywhere used to be having a chat with the operator.

Then sneak your hand in under the seat and flick the steering change over lever from 2 or 4 wheel to crab steer.

They were also seen on the RE Demo day 1979 at Chattenden 2 teams of 4 playing football with an old sea mine.

Edited by ploughman

• 6 years later...

I was on exercise in Denmark and had been dispatched to another camp to dig latrines. I set off in my Muir Hill along a fairly narrow road and had to give way to a truck. I stopped behind a brand new Opel Manta and as I resumed my journey, pulling out normally to pass the parked Manta, the steering must have slipped into 4 wheel steer though the change handle hadn't moved which I didn't realise at first. Just past the car, I sensed something was wrong and looked back to check the backacter and saw it had swung out from the stowed position. I parked up and walked back to find out what had happened because I didn't hear anything wrong. Then I noticed the car owner had come out of his house and was looking at his car. Thankfully he spoke perfect English and I explained what I thought had happened. We went inside to exchange details and he was so laid back you wouldn't have thought I had just written off his pride and joy. Eventually, I made my way back to camp and had to fill out 5 copies of the accident report in full, no copies allowed. By the end I could have dug the latrines and returned to camp. Just one of several highlights of that exercise. 

• 2 years later...

Hi just came across this site and thought some of you might be interested to know that I have a back actor from one of these which I use attached to the three point linkage on my International Harvester 685 tractor.  It's in very good condition and would seem to have seen very little work in its service life.