Low flying P51 Mustang

abn deuce

Oh, they aren't low! Unfortunately I can't find a clip of this on youtube, but here's some still images captured off the video from the 1968 film '1000 Plane Raid'. Now this is low, especially in something that big.

In the first picture, you can see the B-17's shadow on the tree showing how close it is. Pictures 3 and 4 show the B-17 almost touching the ground but in a climbing attitude. The main gear is retracted, but the tailwheel has been fixed down. I don't know if it was fixed so the pilot could 'feel the ground', or like several present day 'Forts' which fly tailwheel down, whether worn out retraction motors were the reason? If you get to see the film, the low passes are stunning. It was filmed in the USA, with some scenes from earlier films coloured in to blend in.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Wow ! that fort is really low, and as Jessie pointed out, really close to that other '17.

It is really spectacular to watch, but can easily end badly.

Here in the UK, I guess most of you guys remember Don Bullock and the way he flew the fort 'Sally B'. I met Don on several occaisions back in those days, used to 'hang out' with the crew and Flew in Sally too. They even asked me to paint the nose art.

DonBullockB17.jpg

SallyB17.jpg

scan0005-3.jpg

I was just a youngster in those days, and Dons antics looked like a lot of innocent fun. I can remember standing on an airstrip as he flew over our heads and I was determined not to duck !........It was sucking the grass off the field and the fumes made your eyes sting - great stuff.

One particular occaision, we were up at Duxford on a photo shoot, as we have done befor and since.

scan0019.jpg

I am guessing you guys know what a lot of fun that is, getting to take your vehicles, dress up and get paid too !.........

..........These are old pictures, I am sorry about the quality. Flicking through these old snaps, I can see that this day, I got to be rear gunner !

scan0017.jpg

Don asked myself and a pal, if we would like to accompany him to the Biggin hill airshow the following weekend in the B17. You don't need me to tell you what are answer was. I was thrilled to bits, we knew he was a bit of a 'flyboy' and was sure to have a real good time.

However, later that day, our plans were scuppered - The '17 was starting a take off run for a local flight when the starboard wheel broke in half. I caught it on my 'el cheapo' camera.

scan0018.jpg

Fact is, the Sally B had a lucky escape that day, but it meant that a new wheel would be needed and the plane would be grounded for a few weeks.

Don was not put off, he said "no problem - we take the A-26 invader to Biggin".......my pal and I were dissapointed, as we really would have prefered the B17. In the end Don gave us the choice, A-26 next weekend at Biggin, or wait untill the '17 is fixed.

We thought long and hard, it went back and forth, but in the end we deceided against the A-26.

Luckiest decision I ever made,

here is the A-26 at Biggin..............

biggincrash.jpg

Edited by mark m uk