Bedford OYD

plastic constructor

I'm looking for good reference photos / drawings of the Bedford OY in military guise. I intend to convert the recent Emhar 1/24 Bedford OY model kit into the military version. The first part of the conversion will be to replace the civilian front end with the squared off military pattern (late). Do you have a Bedford OY? ... Do you live in the Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire / Staffordshire area? ... Would it be possible for me to photograph the vehicle in detail?

Nick.

Sounds like a lot of work involved here Nick i am presuming you will be modelling the early OY with the civilian type wheels as per the kit. How does the kit fair i heard some good reports but as yet not seen one in the flesh, two photos attached a cargo and a horse ambulance hopefully they will provide some bonnet detail for you

cheers

Les

2.jpg

6.jpg

Hello Les, I'd seen your name in various rooms on here and wondered if there would be a response from you. The front end is actually a reasonably simple job. I've had a word with David Jane who mastered the Bedford OYD for Accurate Armour and he's supplied me with a set of drawings. The Bedford OY in the Emhar kit looks to be reasonably accurate, although I have my doubts about the height of the cab, something doesn't look right. David Jane has supplied me with the measurements for the width of the bonnet, so, after the Christmas break I'm going to have to do a spot of plastic bashing. The front wings as supplied with the kit will require a spot of alteration as they don't have the circular cut-out at the front.

I'm building the later variant (as shown in your photographs), the sides have the later ventilation, the vehicle would be the part militarized truck which used the civilian wheels. Once the front end is done, I have further projects planned which will complete the militarization of the vehicle including the wheels and tyres. The conversion I have planned at the moment is the front end which will include bonnet, sides (later pattern), front grille which will include a mesh insert, correct pattern lights and mask, bumper, nudge bar, and traficator arm. The kit should be ready for the model show at Huddersfield in February and further bits and pieces which should result in a complete military OY should be ready for Beltring.

I would be interested in photographing a real vehicle using the measuring sticks, purely to have a reference to work with. I'll keep you all informed of the progress. Incidentally, I have also been asked to consider the Scammell coupling ... we'll see?

Nick.

Edited by plastic constructor
further information

It looks like an MW with a cab on as the bonnet is flater than an OY, But i think thats down to the non bedford cab fitted.

Looking at the petrol tank it's an OXD but its been rebodied, I think kpt Higgins has one like that.

Edited by rippo

It looks like an MW with a cab on as the bonnet is flater than an OY, But i think thats down to the non bedford cab fitted.

Looking at the petrol tank it's an OXD but its been rebodied, I think kpt Higgins has one like that.

Hi John,

I think the cab has similarities to Tatra ( this could line up with kpt Higgins truck with a similar cab as he is in Czech'). The chassis may well be Bedford, the petrol tank and mountings are right, as is front panel, bumper, towing eyes and rad cap! Front hubs are not Bedford, nor are the side panels or front wings either...so it looks like a rebuild from the Eastern Front perhaps.

Hello Richard,

I noticed the wings weren't right but i wasn't sure if they had just been reworked, I still think kpt higgingd has one "similiar" I cant find the picture right now, but here's a similar one he posted

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10507&page=10

I think your right richard it's probably a rebuild of a number of trucks.

Hello Richard,

I noticed the wings weren't right but i wasn't sure if they had just been reworked, I still think kpt higgingd has one "similiar" I cant find the picture right now, but here's a similar one he posted

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10507&page=10

I think your right richard it's probably a rebuild of a number of trucks.

John,

Yes, I remember that one now, it looks very similar to the cab on Radek's Austin K30 too.

This thread is getting interesting. Anyway, I've finally placed the kit cab to the drawings and there are a couple of inconsistencies. When I first looked at the kit cab it seemed to be a little too low and not long or wide enough. Well, looking at the drawings supplied by David Jane, and I have no reason to doubt them, the cab doors are not quite wide enough, the cab width is slightly wrong and the height of the cab is too short. I've learned from past projects not to take drawings at face value, however, the cost of producing a new cab is astronomical, so, I'm going to work with what I have. The differences in width, length and height are minimal in 1/24 scale and shouldn't pose too many problems, I'll keep you all informed of the progress. I'd still like to photograph a real vehicle though.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now at the point of construction where I need assistance from someone who owns or has access to a Bedford OYD. I need the following measurements ...

• The width of the bonnet measured at its widest point near the windscreen.
  • The width of the bonnet measured at its narrowest point at the radiator bulkhead.
  • The length of the bonnet measured from the centre line near the windscreen towards the front.

The drawings I have, although fairly accurate seem to have suffered a little when they were transposed from 1/35 to 1/24, the request for the measurements above is purely to ensure that the information I have is correct before cutting plastic. Any help gratefully received.

Nick.

Edited by plastic constructor