Snow..

Marmite!!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 5 feet off the drive this morning before getting stuck. It took me half an hour to dig my way back to the driveway. It wasn't until 6pm tonight, I realised I lost my phone, which must have fallen out of my pocket while digging.

Of course it snowed lost more today. I rang the phone to try and find it, but it went flat and switched off. So I spent another half an hour digging up the snow on the road until I found my phone again!

So relieved!

Diary of an Anonymous Snow Shoveller

Nov 25th - It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

Nov 26th - We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shovelled snow for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the cars. This afternoon the snowplough came along and covered up the cars and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

Nov 27th - The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbour tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbour.

Nov 28th - Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shovelling the driveway and cars. This is the life! The snowplough came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shovelling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

Nov 29th - 20 inches forecast. Sold my car and just using my 4x4 now. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

Nov 30th - Ice storm this morning. Fell on my a$$ on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

Dec 1st - Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should have bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

Dec 2nd - Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of damn snow last night. More shovelling. Took all day. Damn snowplough came by twice. Tried to find a neighbours kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing snowball fights. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

Dec 3rd - Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white slop fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a snowplough on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the pratt is lying.

Dec 4th - Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

Dec 5th - 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplough, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the *&$% who drives that snowplough, I'll kick him in the snowballs. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shovelling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her, but I was busy watching for that damn snowplough.

Dec 6th - 20 more inches of the D@x@!x!* slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shovelling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplough driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to kill her.

Dec 7th - Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

Dec 8th - Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

Dec 9th - Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. The cow is driving me crazy!!!!!

Dec 10th - 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

Dec 11th - Roof caved in. The snowplough driver is suing me for a million. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

Dec 12th - Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shovelling.

Dec 13th - I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Rail chaos starts at the depot, not much moving here. Can't see the track in most places, some pointwork doesn't move due to compacted snow, and they had anti-freeze on them!

Going to be fun driving home at 0630...

Did a good deed yesterday and dropped my wife into London so she could get the tube to work. She found a couple at the station who were due to go on the Orient express (which was running) as a present from their kids, so we gave them a lift too. Turns out they own the local hairdressers so I now have a free hair cut due! Wife staying at her parents (ease of getting to work) so I have the house to myself til Friday. Good deeds do pay!

The cubed one wants his snow chains too!!!!!!!

We have about 4 inches here on the south coast! Guess I will be getting texts to collect the girls for work, I can see me doing several journeys as those from main land wont be getting in on time if at all!

Hello Everyone.

The snow has also reached the Captial of the UK. Buxted (East Sussex)

It was refreshing to go for a drive today and not encounter any other vehicles. Nice little trundle through the local lanes fully equipped and ready to lend a hand to other motorists who had become stranded. Towed four cars from silly situations and various hidden features masked by snow.

I adore how the Landrover is viewed as a gas guzzling monster and yet when snow appears I'm everyones best friend of all a sudden!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010959.jpg my wee little garden :)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010954.jpg poor hairy sods,do cattle feel the cold? I'm not sure on that one.. I would assume.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010953.jpg Juan ten doing what he does best..

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010951.jpg I love Sussex,more so in the Snow.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010950.jpg perfect driving conditions.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010949.jpg solitude

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/02122010948.jpg Nan Tuck's lane,Haunted so they say.

Council won't grit the close so we've all clubbed together and got a bulk bag of grit

You will get a rebate on your council tax ! oh how about a risk assessment, was every body in high viz clothing and has it been done to council spec. :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

We had another 25mm last night, now laying at 260-280mm. Temp dropped to -8C last night, at 1.00pm today the sun was shining and the thermometer in the sun read +12/+13C, but at 2.30 the Sun had gone behind cloud and mist and temp dropped to -4/-5C in no time.

Given up working on 101 and have come in for the day. Brrrrr!

Neighbour went out with his Grey Ferggy and towed his Ford Car up the driveway, don't know where he got it stuck but it hasn't been by his house for 3 days!

Still only a dusting here. I had to go to a Naval base in Gosport this morning though and they have about 5 inches down there..

Yes, about five or six inches in the garden here in Portsmouth, but melting now ...

Andy

Schools closed here on Hayling again due to staff not able to get in. I got sent home this morning youngest cubelet poorly (again) but on mend now.

Main roads clear, footpaths still icy. About 4 inches lying around still! Forecast is a tropical 8 degrees tomorrow!!!!! Might get the bikini out560f57d5-18a6-0cc4.jpg the GMC yesterday morning!

Hasn't been above -2 all day round here. And that thermometer has a reputation of being optomistic! Ploughs have been out, and just made things worse. Umpteen abonded cars still about, causing all sorts of problems, and freezing rain forcast. Next time I'll hibernate! Oh and double decker bus V 7 cars , a brick wall and a Transit. Bus isn't to bad really.