493rd BG Debach, Open Day Photos, June 11th

Well I'm back off my holidays, and I got roasted while in the Cotswolds. It was great jeep driving weather though. However, the weekend before the holiday, we were at the 493rd BG Museum open day, at Debach airfield near Ipswich.

It was very hot there for the event weekend, giving a good public turn out. There were re-enactors, military vehicles, flying displays, a 40's dance, parade arena etc etc....

We were there all weekend, but the event started officially on the evening of Saturday June 10th, with the 1940's dance with live music provided by "Sticky Wicket".

Here's a selection of the 829 photos I took across the weekend!

The restored control tower.

a.jpg

Some of my flying team at the dance.

f.jpg

Now some of the vehicles.....

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

more shortly.....

Flippin heck Steve.

You have a good eye and a good camera by the looks of it :-o some great pictures I think the Dodge Command Car belongs to Clive 'aldbourne' Stevens? He was kind enough to invite us up and to show us the sites in the back of the Command Car but we were at Weymouth that weekend :|

Steve do you have any images of the inside of the control tower? Or any tower of the period for that matter, I have been inside many abandoned ones but cannot visialise what they would be like inside.

Cheers.

Jack

I didn't get inside the tower this year. The weekend was so busy, it was the one part of the museum I didn't get to see. The camera is just a new toy, a Nikon D50 Digital SLR with two lenses, an 18-55mm and a 70-300mm.

I would have liked to post more, but with 820+ to choose from, I have to be a little picky! Perhaps I'm a little trigger happy, but as a result, got some great pics. Chasing the tanks around the arena was great fun too! I clocked up 14 miles around the airfield in the jeep over the weekend.

As for pictures of the tower, there are some below of Thorpe Abbotts, from the 100th Bomb Group website ( http://www.100thbg.com )

The glass observation office on top of most towers, where flight traffic was controlled from.

1_38_1.jpg

1_34_3.jpg

1_35_1.jpg

The machine to the left controls the airfield runway lighting and approach lights for the three intersecting runways. The black board I presume is to list the airworthy aircraft available for operations, or aircraft on a mission.

1_35_2.jpg

Steve